Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #1

I have to give up

I have posted several threads here about some issues with my 2013 8289WS. It is a sweet looking rig but I just can't seem to get past the new coach blues. We done a lot of research before buying and know most people are very satisfied with Rockwood. If you have seen any of my past post you are aware of the stuctural issue I have had with this unit. It has been to Millersburg twice in a years time, I thought all the problems were done. We take off this last Friday to a small lake close by so we can take the grandson camping and fishing. It is raining pretty good but no problem. We get set up and have an enjoyable evening in the camper. In the middle of the night we lose 110v power. I check the brakers and the power at the pole with no luck. The following morning we are having breakfast and deciding what to do about the rest of the weekend. I happen to look down at the floof by the outside wall in the curbside slide (that was the slide that required the first trip back to the factory) and notice dirty water in a line about 4 feet long and about 2 inches up from the carpet. I thought maybe a window was leaking but found no proof of that. I decided it must be the slide leaking between the wall and the floor. I took it back to the dealership yeaterday afternoon and found there is a gap between the floor and the wall about an 1/8 inch wide. And we can add to that some kind of issue with the electric. The cord had melted the end inside the plug around one of the prongs. I don't know if it was a faulty cord or maybe a pinched wire from the second trip to the factory when they lifted the box of the floor to reinforce a defective frame and replace the floor. I know I am going to get clobbered but I have lost all faith in this coach. I think I will stick with FR, they seem to try to get the customer service thing correct, the people at the Rockwood plant are great but I am not going lite again.

I think I will look at a Wildcat. Good, bad or in between?

Thanks all I will still be lurking just wearing a different rig.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Always Learning

Man, that's brutal to read. I wish you the best in your future rig.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I have posted several threads here about some issues with my 2013 8289WS. It is a sweet looking rig but I just can't seem to get past the new coach blues. We done a lot of research before buying and know most people are very satisfied with Rockwood. If you have seen any of my past post you are aware of the stuctural issue I have had with this unit. It has been to Millersburg twice in a years time, I thought all the problems were done. We take off this last Friday to a small lake close by so we can take the grandson camping and fishing. It is raining pretty good but no problem. We get set up and have an enjoyable evening in the camper. In the middle of the night we lose 110v power. I check the brakers and the power at the pole with no luck. The following morning we are having breakfast and deciding what to do about the rest of the weekend. I happen to look down at the floof by the outside wall in the curbside slide (that was the slide that required the first trip back to the factory) and notice dirty water in a line about 4 feet long and about 2 inches up from the carpet. I thought maybe a window was leaking but found no proof of that. I decided it must be the slide leaking between the wall and the floor. I took it back to the dealership yeaterday afternoon and found there is a gap between the floor and the wall about an 1/8 inch wide. And we can add to that some kind of issue with the electric. The cord had melted the end inside the plug around one of the prongs. I don't know if it was a faulty cord or maybe a pinched wire from the second trip to the factory when they lifted the box of the floor to reinforce a defective frame and replace the floor. I know I am going to get clobbered but I have lost all faith in this coach. I think I will stick with FR, they seem to try to get the customer service thing correct, the people at the Rockwood plant are great but I am not going lite again.

I think I will look at a Wildcat. Good, bad or in between?

Thanks all I will still be lurking just wearing a different rig.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I think all brands have their problems, it's the ones that come here looking for answers that we hear from the most. If you're convinced that your coach can't be saved to your satisfaction, a new unit may be the answer, merely for peace of mind if nothing else. That said, it seems Wildcat has been making big strides in improvements to their coaches lately. I wish you good luck.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced and those that seem to come about. But, I can tell you from my past experience that almost all RV's have a Gremlin or two that can take a while to trace as to the actual cause and find the proper fix.

Now that being said, the new Wildcats are being built on a new frame set up designed and manufactured by Norco. The assembly process they use is fantastic. Wildcat is also gone to a gel coat finish for a more enhanced looked from their earlier years.

Please feel free to stop over in the Wildcat Forum and visit, read, and ask questions if you would care to.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I too am sorry to hear this. I had some problems with a 2703SS travel trailer but nothing like you have. We were at a trailer show and quite liked a 317RL - Wildcat Fifth Wheel. Would need a TV upgrade as well. The outdoor kitchen was very nice for a couples trailer. Being able to make lunch while travelling without blowing the slides is a good feature. I wish you all the luck, i know we took a hit to trade after a year, the old unit still on the dealers lot, hasn't sold it.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Best of luck Jeepman...discouraging to hear stories like yours.

I almost thought about going the "lite" route for a camper but after reading so many identical problems with these units I stayed in the heavy camper category...with all the strain these campers go through traveling down the road, I don't believe the lightweights can hold up as well.

Overall, all camper categories have their problems, failures and gems...almost feels like a crap shoot on which one you'll get

Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #7

Sad to read all the trouble you are having. We recently 12/31/13 took delivery on a new 8289WS and it now has over 2500 miles towing with no problems at all, knock on wood! I guess time will tell how it will hold up but up to now it's a solid unit. Planing a 4000 mi trip shortly with a 600 mi trip before that, we will see how it goes. Our prior unit was a Keystone Cougar, had great luck with that wit over 20k towing. If the 8289 starts to fail as yours has it will also be traded for a heavier unit and will have a heavier truck to pull it.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

I feel your pain

Well Jeepman I know what you are going through. My 2013 3008w is turning out to be a turd. Was in the service dept. for 2 months last summer sheila mcgeewith a host of problems. Now the bathroom floor is soft and the kitchen counter that was replaced is starting to lift like the one that was replaced. While it was at the dealer for two months it ran out of its factory warranty by one week and that was the one main point when serious problems concerning the tires rubbing on the floor of the trailer due to lack of clearance. Poor engineering for sure. Hope the FR will do the right thing. if it wasn't for the DW I would bail out of the rv life period. $35000 worth of aggravation. Serge PS waiting to hear from the factory.
Mac rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #9

I sent this to Sheila at the factory but it did not go through but her name was inserted into my email. Sorry about that. Serge
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Jeepman,

Wow - based on your experience it does sound like you simnply have a Lemon. Did you know that there are RV Lemon laws? See this link:
Lemon Law RV | Lemon Law America®

Before I would take the financial hit, I would consider going direct to Forest River - and, at this point, I would think that repair is completely out of the question. It is time to get a replacement unit.

Some folks don't like to deal with the hassle - frankly neither do I but the principle of the damn thing is what motivates me. Case in point: I had problems back in 2006 with a factory ordered Surveyor 303. After 8 months ownership -- 6 1/2 which were spent in the shop!!My fun meter was pegged.

Screw the RV dealer, I went to an attorney, told him my story, gave him all my documentation and coorspondence and told him what I wanted (a new replacement unit not a repaired curent unit.)

Well, these claims attorneys work on percentages and will not usually touch your case unless they think there is a chance you have a winning case (ergo they will make money to boot).

He took my case with a rather wolfish grin on his face.

It only took 1 registered letter exchange before I got a call from the General Manager. I politely, but icly told him he needed to contact my Attorney and not me at this point. He tried to wheel and deal and I hung up on him and called my attorney and told him about the phone call. That was another nail in the RV dealer's coffin.

Bottom Line: I got a new (and by that time a 2007) unit with every upgraded option available, 3 years of free service and winterization/summer set up service (never used it, never set foot in the dealership again) and a _VERY_ nice fat check for "missed vacations, lost time, and
Inconvenience." I was out of pocket $175 for the initial consult with the Attorney (recouped in the check IMO )

YMMV, and it may just be me and my SOB attitude but DO NOT let the Ba$t**DS take you for a ride--it's YOUR hard earned money my friend!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #11

Hello Bob. We are presently in south Taxas and will be heading home soon. I've asked Mr Holowell the factory rep if I can bring my trailer to the factory so that they can evaluate the problems first hand. Will keep you all posted. Regards Serge
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #12

If I were you, I'd consider going back to a traditional aluminum sided trailer. Might not look as good to some, but you sure do eliminate a lot of potential issues IMHO. We've had 2 Palomino Puma's in the family since late 2011 and have just ordered a 2014. So far we've been very pleased with the construction. I was in every nook and cranny of our last one and saw very few things that weren't done to my satisfaction- and I'm quite a perfectionist. There is actually very little weight difference in an aluminum sided trailer and a "lite" trailer in my experience.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac rv View Post
Hello Bob. We are presently in south Taxas and will be heading home soon. I've asked Mr Holowell the factory rep if I can bring my trailer to the factory so that they can evaluate the problems first hand. Will keep you all posted. Regards Serge

Good Luck Mac!! If you are hooked up to FR Corporate now you should be in good hands - at that level what they do NOT want is bad PR and frankly swapping your lemon rig with a fully loaded 8289WS/Diamond Package and some sort of reasonable compensation for all that you have been through is advertising budget dust to a business the size of FR.

P.S. Take a look at my new thread "Open Letter to the RV Industry"
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #14

Thanks for the replys.

Mac, I wish you luck. Sheila is no longer with FR, she moved onto greener pastures last October. A week after we had out rig there last. I do agree with HSVBamaBob that once you get to corporate level things should improve. With that said I never had any problems with the dealer just the trailer.

HSVBamaBob, I took ownership of a 2014 Wildcat 317RL last night. I did take a hit but the dealer was pretty fair with us. Although I will not say anything bad about Rockwood/Flagstaff I decided I did not want to try another light weight. The Wildcat does not have nearly as many cool things as the Rockwood but it is built on a heavy frame with heavier components so I am hopeful I will have better luck.

Mac, Floyde Miller is the manager of the repair facility and a real good guy and I believe Fred is his older brother's name, he is the manager of the production plant. Overall I was very happy with the way the people at the factory took care of things.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If I were you, I'd consider going back to a traditional aluminum sided trailer. Might not look as good to some, but you sure do eliminate a lot of potential issues IMHO. We've had 2 Palomino Puma's in the family since late 2011 and have just ordered a 2014. So far we've been very pleased with the construction. I was in every nook and cranny of our last one and saw very few things that weren't done to my satisfaction- and I'm quite a perfectionist. There is actually very little weight difference in an aluminum sided trailer and a "lite" trailer in my experience.
I couldn't agree more. When delam occurs on the fiberglass, it's all or nothing entire wall replacement and very expensive. Try to get an insurance co. to say it isn't a maintenance issue. With alum. sided, one can fix a section at much lower cost. Plus, the feedback from the Puma owners seem above average here in the forum. Still have my eye on a Puma destination unit (seasonal) , but anticipate possibly changing locations when I finish grad school, so holding off. Puma is my first choice and so is traditional sided.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #16

Thank you to all. I had a Puma before the Windjammer and hands down was a better trailer for sure. Still waiting to hear back from the factory. Will keep you posted. Most of the rv friends that I know who have a Rockwood have soft floors. Very scary indeed. Bob how is your 8289ws working out? Hopefully it will be a good unit for you. My Windjammer has taken way too much time and energy from us. It has really soured my taste for the rv lifestyle.Serge
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #17

Hello to you all. We have heard back from Mr.Hollowell at FR. Fr warranty has agreed to replace the floor in our 2013 3008w trailer. This is truly a major concern for us not to mention the incredible inconvenience. This trailer meets all of the criteria for a lemon. We have no faith in this product. The factory is trying to do the right thing but. Bob I might need the name of your lawyer. We sent back a reply outlining our concerns and are waiting to hear back. Will keep you posted. Serge
Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #18

Good luck Mac. We went through the same thing with the main floor and the curbside slide floor. The frame rail on the curbside was twisting causing the main floor to rise toward the center and drop along the outer edge. After the second trip back to Indianna to correct the main floor/frame issue we took the unit out a couple of weeks ago to find the wall was about an 1/8 of an inch away from the floor in the curbside slide.

We took the hit and got rid of the unit.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #19

Hello. We are heading home on the 13th April and will stop at the factory. We have decided to take the trailer home to off load and ship the trailer back to Millersburg for a complete floor replacement. My 2013 3008w has had so many issues that I'm very concerned about this level of repairs. Thanks Bama Bob, jeepman and bodzcamper for your comments and help. Will keep you posted. Not a happy camper. Serge