Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #21

owning a Rv is the same as owning a House, there is always something to fix.. Speacking of that, Can anyone tell me or lead me in the Right direction for fixing Day Night Shades ?? I have two that Came undone on one side, I replaced the first ( being in the bedroom and went to a Darker venetion ) But the one in the Living room is out also, I would love to find a way to restring it...

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #22

This weekend we had trouble with our kitchen slide, I heard a clunk when it went out and then back in. If you look at the images you will see a gold colored bracket. This bracket supports the weight of the slide at the mid point. Forest River in their moment of "intelligence" decided just to lag the bracket to the floor with no backer plate. So guess what? the lag bolts pulled out the the floor and this support bracket now rocks back and forth as the slide moves in or out. So the question is should I take it back to the dealer or make a steel plate to bolt the bracket to? Making the bracket would guaranty a quality repair. I am posting these issues so others can be aware of the poor quality of Forest River products.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04562.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	3587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04563.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3588   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04564.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	3589  
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #23

Not trusting dealers as I do, I have full confidence they would do a half assed job at fixing it. If you have the capacity and capability to do it right and so it will never be an issue again, I say fix it yourself.

As the old saying goes. If you do the work yourself you know it's done right.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #24
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

My 2003 Sunseeker has the safety feature on the steps that automatically pulls the steps in when the ignition key is turned on so as not to drive away with the steps out. Nice feature! But, I found out the weekend past that they have the igition wire on the steps wired to the "accesory " key position, so now when I am at the campground and have the key pulled back in the acces. position listening to the cab radio, the steps keep coming in...all day long whenever the children open the door. Ahhhhhhh!

looks like I have a date with the ignition wires to fix this.

It is an adventure.
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
My 2003 Sunseeker has the safety feature on the steps that automatically pulls the steps in when the ignition key is turned on so as not to drive away with the steps out. Nice feature! But, I found out the weekend past that they have the igition wire on the steps wired to the "accesory " key position, so now when I am at the campground and have the key pulled back in the acces. position listening to the cab radio, the steps keep coming in...all day long whenever the children open the door. Ahhhhhhh!

looks like I have a date with the ignition wires to fix this.

It is an adventure.
Motorhomes usually have a switch near the radio somewhere that says, camp/travel. This switch provides power to the radio with the ignition off when in the "camp" mode so you don't have this issue.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

Thanks NWJeeper....but I have a class C and there is no such switch...at least that I can find.
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #27

In that case I would simply rewire the radio directly to the battery (through a fuse of course). You could put in your own two way switch like other rigs have if you wanted to get fancy I suppose.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-ford-hd View Post
Welcome to the world of RV manufacturing. Innovation is non-existant. Pride in craftsmanship is non-existant. So many manufacturers exist (although fewer now) that one company trying to build it right could not price their product competitively. I promise Forest River is not the only one building their units in the manner in which your's is. I am self-employed, among other ventures, I sell utility, cargo and industrial trailers. In 1995 I decided to sell fifth wheel and TT toy hauler RVs. It was a new thing at the time. I could not believe the stuff I had to fix as a dealer on brand new units. We sold for two major players in the RV industry with both having the same unacceptable build quality. After 3 years I decided to stop selling RVs for this very reason. Sadly, buyers of new RVs should have carpentry, electrical, plumbing and mechanical skills to make ownership less painful..! With eyes wide open, I purchased a new 2008 G'town 350TS one year ago this month. Have been straightening out issues on it for a year now! I don't mind a bit, because I knew I would have to, problems are guaranteed..! When a friend or family member starts talking about an RV purchase, do them a favor and tell them how it is. They can purchase and have many years of enjoyment with their RV, but, go in with eyes open and expecting issues. ALL brands are included...!
Unfortunately true.
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #29

Forest River cuts corners at the oddest places.. the optional extended counter top came loose after just 3 trips, it was attach with small wood screws!! I didnt bother taking it back to dealer because I was sure he would just re attach with same screws so we just did it ourselves and used a board on the back side and bolted the brackets to the board so now it is solid as a rock and wont come loose again.
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlingerrv View Post
Forest River cuts corners at the oddest places.. the optional extended counter top came loose after just 3 trips, it was attach with small wood screws!! I didnt bother taking it back to dealer because I was sure he would just re attach with same screws so we just did it ourselves and used a board on the back side and bolted the brackets to the board so now it is solid as a rock and wont come loose again.
And the telescoping support post for the counter top extension is also a piece of crap. I was afraid I'd kick it lightly and the thing would collapse. I replaced it with a security bar designed for sliding glass patio doors. The security bar already had a hinge built in and telescopes and is very strong...$10.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #31

Great idea,willis! I will look into that, by the way did yours come with the wobbley dinette table with fold down legs? We already replaced them with pedestal legs so much better! But we still love this camper, just needs some modifications!
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #32

You are so right that buying a new trailer also buy you a lot of work in refinisheing the product to your satisfaction. It has been our hobby for us on all the 12 trailers we bought since we started our rv adventure and you know I kind of liked it I dont know why?
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
It has been our hobby for us on all the 12 trailers we bought since we started our rv adventure
How long of a time span has this been? I guess you're saying that the "workmanship issues" that we see in our RVs isn't a recent development.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #34

Smile

Well after reading all the posts on this thread, I'm certainly glad to hear I'm not the only one!
The up side is that I've found some great info from the rest of you folks on how to repair similar items and what to look out for.
Some how RV companies believe it too costly to do the job right the first time. I sure would like to see the numbers on costs for warranty repairs, not to mention lost customers.
I also agree with comments about what FR is thinking about on some of this stuff. I just removed hinges on some doors one would need access to, like the water filter compartment, with magnetic closers. ( yes they actually used a hinge for a closer) I cannot imagine a hinge is cheaper and takes more time to install than a simple magnet.
I'm also a DIY guy, so I just fix it right and move on. For me its cheaper and less frustrating. Not to mention I know how the repair was done.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #35

Some of my doors have hinges as a closer and some doors they just drove a screw thru it
Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #36

Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones it would appear? Been full timing in our 2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8315BSS while out of town on a job and after 11 months not a single problem so far. Absolutely perfect since day one!! I can't say enough good things about this travel trailer. I just wish my stick house was built as good.
Happytrails2U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #37

I have been in contact with Forest River Warranty and they have been very helpful. They have been sending me replacement parts directly.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #38

Well, I totally agree with everything that has been said in this topic. I have an 07 Flagstaff by Fr 5er. Since almost day one, something has gone wrong, broke or fell off. I can list a litany of problems that I have had, from 2 sets of cheap Chinese tires that I got 3 blow outs, to water pumps, Converters, Front exterior cap coming apart, oven stopped working, plastic roof vents rotting away and breaking off, the exterior vent for the stove breaking off. Frig had to be fixed and much much more. The other day I noticed that you could see from the inside of the rig, through the bottom of the entertainment center when the subwoofer is into the storage space under the bedroom. I removed the panel to get to the sub-woofer and found that it had fallen over. There was ONE "L" bracket attached to the speaker and the other end of the bracked was just tucked in under the moulding of the EC without any screw to support it. Also there was no panel to partition off the interior of the entertainment center to the storage area. (always wondered why the trailer was difficult to keep warm) since the storage area is not really insulated all the cold/hot air just came in. NOW after all the stuff mentioned above, I'm having trouble with my slide-out. I will go out o.k. but when I try to bring it back in. What started it all was that the retaining bolt that holds the shaft from the gear to the motor had sheared off. I replaced the bolt and now I have to get under the slide-out and manually crank it a few times and then I can hit the button and bring it in. Another trip to the RV repair shop. What's sad about this, is that prior to investing in this RV I really did my research and thought I was getting a good quality unit. So much for research....Take care and happy camping.
TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO4THEROAD View Post
What's sad about this, is that prior to investing in this RV I really did my research and thought I was getting a good quality unit. So much for research....Take care and happy camping.
Ouch. That's the scary part I worry about as I head into our next purchase this spring. No matter how well-prepared, informed and after taking all precautions, you can still end up buying more troubles than are reasonable. Good luck to you.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #40

Wow, I feel very lucky after reading this thread... lets see I bought my Cherokee sight unseen off the internet had it delivered. Now I don't drag mine around, it sits on a camping spot on some land I own. The only thing wrong with it was my fault I was using the supports to sort of lift the camper level and I sprung one... the dealer sent me a new one... told me not to do that... lol..... other than that it has been a real pleasure.

Tags
rockwood