Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #31

Great idea,willis! I will look into that, by the way did yours come with the wobbley dinette table with fold down legs? We already replaced them with pedestal legs so much better! But we still love this camper, just needs some modifications!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #32

You are so right that buying a new trailer also buy you a lot of work in refinisheing the product to your satisfaction. It has been our hobby for us on all the 12 trailers we bought since we started our rv adventure and you know I kind of liked it I dont know why?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
It has been our hobby for us on all the 12 trailers we bought since we started our rv adventure
How long of a time span has this been? I guess you're saying that the "workmanship issues" that we see in our RVs isn't a recent development.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #34

Smile

Well after reading all the posts on this thread, I'm certainly glad to hear I'm not the only one!
The up side is that I've found some great info from the rest of you folks on how to repair similar items and what to look out for.
Some how RV companies believe it too costly to do the job right the first time. I sure would like to see the numbers on costs for warranty repairs, not to mention lost customers.
I also agree with comments about what FR is thinking about on some of this stuff. I just removed hinges on some doors one would need access to, like the water filter compartment, with magnetic closers. ( yes they actually used a hinge for a closer) I cannot imagine a hinge is cheaper and takes more time to install than a simple magnet.
I'm also a DIY guy, so I just fix it right and move on. For me its cheaper and less frustrating. Not to mention I know how the repair was done.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #35

Some of my doors have hinges as a closer and some doors they just drove a screw thru it
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #36

Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones it would appear? Been full timing in our 2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8315BSS while out of town on a job and after 11 months not a single problem so far. Absolutely perfect since day one!! I can't say enough good things about this travel trailer. I just wish my stick house was built as good.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #37

I have been in contact with Forest River Warranty and they have been very helpful. They have been sending me replacement parts directly.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #38

Well, I totally agree with everything that has been said in this topic. I have an 07 Flagstaff by Fr 5er. Since almost day one, something has gone wrong, broke or fell off. I can list a litany of problems that I have had, from 2 sets of cheap Chinese tires that I got 3 blow outs, to water pumps, Converters, Front exterior cap coming apart, oven stopped working, plastic roof vents rotting away and breaking off, the exterior vent for the stove breaking off. Frig had to be fixed and much much more. The other day I noticed that you could see from the inside of the rig, through the bottom of the entertainment center when the subwoofer is into the storage space under the bedroom. I removed the panel to get to the sub-woofer and found that it had fallen over. There was ONE "L" bracket attached to the speaker and the other end of the bracked was just tucked in under the moulding of the EC without any screw to support it. Also there was no panel to partition off the interior of the entertainment center to the storage area. (always wondered why the trailer was difficult to keep warm) since the storage area is not really insulated all the cold/hot air just came in. NOW after all the stuff mentioned above, I'm having trouble with my slide-out. I will go out o.k. but when I try to bring it back in. What started it all was that the retaining bolt that holds the shaft from the gear to the motor had sheared off. I replaced the bolt and now I have to get under the slide-out and manually crank it a few times and then I can hit the button and bring it in. Another trip to the RV repair shop. What's sad about this, is that prior to investing in this RV I really did my research and thought I was getting a good quality unit. So much for research....Take care and happy camping.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO4THEROAD View Post
What's sad about this, is that prior to investing in this RV I really did my research and thought I was getting a good quality unit. So much for research....Take care and happy camping.
Ouch. That's the scary part I worry about as I head into our next purchase this spring. No matter how well-prepared, informed and after taking all precautions, you can still end up buying more troubles than are reasonable. Good luck to you.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #40

Wow, I feel very lucky after reading this thread... lets see I bought my Cherokee sight unseen off the internet had it delivered. Now I don't drag mine around, it sits on a camping spot on some land I own. The only thing wrong with it was my fault I was using the supports to sort of lift the camper level and I sprung one... the dealer sent me a new one... told me not to do that... lol..... other than that it has been a real pleasure.

Tags
rockwood