Old 10-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #11
Lipper gave me the runaround so I went to a local RV repair and they ordered me a7K Dexter axel to replace 6K Lipper axel. It was in the next day, early enough that it was installed by quitting time.

Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #12
Follow up ( Forrest River, PLEASE CALL ME ! )

Just got the call, after 8 weeks they sent the wrong axle. Range RV says Alcove got bought by Dexter, and Dexter can't figure out what axle it is..... I'm screwed. Don't know what to do.

If ANYONE from Rockwood or Forrest River reads this can U message me on this forum with a number I can call for HELP ??????

Better yet, does anyone have a number I can call for Forrest River?????

Thanks, (I still owe a lot on this 5ER and now its usless).

rodinbigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #13
Originally Posted by rodinbigbear View Post
Just got the call, after 8 weeks they sent the wrong axle. Range RV says Alcove got bought by Dexter, and Dexter can't figure out what axle it is..... I'm screwed. Don't know what to do.

If ANYONE from Rockwood or Forrest River reads can U call me please?????
Thanks, (I still owe a lot on this 5ER and now its usless).

Please remove your number before you get spam calls.

It is never a good idea to post that type of information.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
574 642 8903
tonyb1725 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
Axle issue on our 2008 8315SS travel trailer...... While on a trip from So Cal to UP of Michigan in 2011 DW and I were on our way home going through Oklahoma City, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw smoke coming from the trailer wheel. Pulled over immediately and saw the wheel was sloppy on the axle. "Luck" had it, a Camping World with an RV repair center was at the next exit. Limped the 1/2 mile to the facility and found the bearing had failed and it ruined the spindle. Being it was an ALKO torsion axle the spindle could not be replaced but a whole new axle would have to be replaced. Since the rig was under "extended warranty" it would be replaced under that warranty with the deductible being paid. (That's a whole other story, but they eventually paid.) Too many different axles out there on RVs to stock them in inventory so it would have to be made and it would take as long as two weeks to complete the process. This Camping World had 6 RV full hookup "camp sites" in the back of their business where they do their PDIs for customers. They allowed us to "camp" there for the two weeks it took to get the axle and get back on the road. No charge for this "camping". Thankful for that and we got to see a lot of OK City as well. Nice town, nice people.
Anyway, no axle problems for a while on many long mileage trips, then, on the return of another trip to the Midwest from So Cal this summer, coming back through AZ, same thing. Look in rear view mirror, smoke from trailer wheel and sloppy wheel on axle. Towed on flatbed about 12 miles to nearest RV dealer I found with the help of Forest River Customer Service. I saw this movie before it was a rerun. Bearing failed, ruined spindle, have to replace whole axle, no stock, had to be made and shipped, at least two weeks to complete the process. We were close to in-laws in AZ this time so we stayed with them until process completed. Had to pony up the cost this time as "extended warranty" was up. $1700.00 later, which included replacing the bearings on the other axle as well. I now have two "new" axles since purchase on our RV.
Really still looking for an answer to my axle issues as I have repacked/replaced my axle bearings yearly and or after any extended long distance trips.
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #16

Just my 2 cents worth, I hope that the people having trouble with bearings are not relying on the bearing buddies. These are only good for an ocassional add, but they don't do anything when it comes to inspection, cleaning, and repacking. I myself don't repack every year, but every two years. My 5er has 16" wheels (the size of the wheels matters) and I put on and average of 3500 miles per year. I also carry a digital thermometer gun and use that along with my tire guage when I stop for gas.
For those of you who have had an occasional bent axle, been there trying to get in a small site on a narrow road, if your out of warranty bring it to a frame an axle shop. The one that did mine had it back to me in 36 hours.
FLRVWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
Rockwood 8280 Axle

I just went through a similar exercise. I have ALKO torsion axles with the easy lube hubs. The camper is 2010, and probably has at least 10000 miles on it. I changed out the grease using the easy lube hubs this spring, and check the tire and hub temperatures with an infrared thermometer at most every rest stop. While in north Georgia headed for Murrell's Inlet in South Carolina, I stopped at a rest stop about 1 hour in, and when checking, I saw grease all over one wheel. I called Good Sam, and the sent a mobile service tech, but there was nothing that could be done on site. The tow company took the camper to their shop and started looking for an axle. A few days later, when I got home, I got on the internet and found a company, Axle, Inc. in Elhhart, Ind. After the garage in Georgia got me the serial number from the bad axle, Axle, Inc. worked directly with Alko, which was actually shutting down in about 10 days, and got a replacement axle to the garage in a little over a week. Since the tires were about six years old, and the camper had been towed about 20 miles on 2 wheels, I went ahead and had all 4 tires replaced, upgrading from load range C to load range D. I also had the bearings on the remaining axle replaced as well. I am confident that there was plenty of grease in the bearings, especially given the amount on the wheel and tire. I think maybe the outer grease seal failed, so maybe having the hubs serviced every couple of years, and the seals replaced, even with the easy lube hubs. I'm sure there was no grease showing when I left my campsite in Georgia. By the way, the lady at Axle said Dexter was going to make drop in replacements for the Alko axles. I was very happy with the help given by Axle, Inc.

2010 Rockwood 8280WS Fifth Wheel
2013 F350 Crew Cab SRW, Standard Bed PS Diesel
Reese Airborne Pin Box, Reese 16K Manual Slider
Camped 28 Days in 2012, 23 Days in 2013, 29 Days in 2014, 30 Days in 2015, 9 Days in 2016
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, axle, rockwood, wheel