Old 10-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
I needed a new axle on Rockwood 5th Wheel

I had a problem with a loose wheel on my Rockwood ultra lite 5th wheel, I think its a 8288SS model. I'm the original owner. My problem isn't that I needed an axle, its that the Forrest River manufacture took 8 weeks to get the axle to the repair place ( Range RV in Hesperia, ca ). That is BS !
In this day and age why would it take 8 weeks to get a new axle delivered????? I hope nobody else is getting treated like this by Forrest River !

Thanks, Rod

rodinbigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
I would be willing to bet that about half of that time is on your dealer stalling on sending the order in, it has been known to happen.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
I lost an axle back in 2009 on a TT that was out of warranty. I identified the part number on the axle, the looked on line for a dealer, called them and they received it in about a week.

I didn't go through an RV dealer. Any decent shop can replace your axle.

If it's a lippert axle, order it online and then take it to the repair shop that has your camper.

Hope that helps.
2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6
2012 Sabre 31RETS
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou
You didn't say what year your camper was.

A few axle manufacturers have merged or gone out of business over the years. Perhaps it took a while to track down a direct replacement.

If it was a newer one, was it an Al-Ko? They merged with Dexter and the mounts on the Dexter are different I am told. They may have had trouble finding one that would fit.

Then again, it could be your dealer was busy (it is the busy season) and could only work you in later and blamed FR for bumping you for his local folks.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Most vendor parts on any RV are warrantied by the specific manufacturer ... things like an axle can be purchased from a business that deals daily in the part ... received quickly ... installed ... warranty work filled out wayyyy before the dealer even gets to initiate your paperwork. I've dealt several times with FR warranty division personally. They get me what I need within a week to week and one half. The dealer deals in months and fractions of years ... ha!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Ditto to this
tonyb1725 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
I go to a Spring/Axle shop for that type of work. Excellent response.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
There is no reason for that much delay. We had a problem with a brand new unit. Customer broke down on highway close by. Had it towed in. Called manufacturer and they said it would be 4-6 weeks. Forget that, Called axle mfr. and They overnighted the axle. The customer was back on the road at noon the next day.
Here is the problem. Mfrs do not stock axles in parts dept. SO. That means When the dealer calls in the order. The next day ,Maybee, the Mfr. orders an axle. The axle mfr. will put in a build order for that axle. In a week or so they will build it. Then a day or so later they will ship it to the mfr.. It will sit on the dock till it is inventoried and then will be sent to shipping after all the paperwork is done . it will then be shipped to the dealer who will then schedule the job back into the shop to be installed. NOTHIN TO IT !!!! Learned a long time ago that since the items are under individual warranties its much quicker to go directly through the items mfr. not the coach mfr. Ask your dealer if he is set up directly with the parts mfr.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
We had to get a new axle on our Rockwood 8265WS in 2011 and it was on warranty. We were at the time 6000 miles from home on the east coast of Canada and it took 3 weeks to get it delivered and installed. Forest River was very good to us.

We have Al-Ko axles on our trailer and again we need a new axle (we were in a wrestling match with a logging truck). Dexter axle bought up Al-Ko and they do not keep much in stock. Most axles can be built in 2-3 days or less, however, they are booked up 7-10 days and then it has to be shipped.

We have been told that our axle was built and shipped last tuesday and since we are in the west coast of Canada and the axel is made in Indiana it will, I'm sure take another week or so to clear customs etc...

Just stay on top of everyone. Our local dealer took over two weeks to get the order in. A phone call every 2-3 days works and tell them you will check back in 2-3 days.

We were supposed to be in Mexico by now

Good luck
Anders Cortes Island, BC. Canada

Pony: 2008 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4x4, Quad Cab
Harness: Hijacker 24-AS-18 Autoslide, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box
Chuckwagon: 2011 Rockwood 8265WS
Travel Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
FR Axle Replacement

Our story is a little different. Last year, in the middle of nowhere Kansas we lost a wheel bearing and axle on the second day of a 12,000 trip to Alaska. The small town had no RV facility, but there was a NAPA store. The mechanic there agreed to help. We called FR and they said that it would take a week to get the axle made and about four days to arrive after that. I ordered the axle. Later that afternoon, I began looking on the internet for the nearest FR dealer. That turned out to be Wichita, roughly 150 miles behind us. When I contacted the dealer, he had a Dexter axle that would fit, but it was a 5200 lb axle instead of the 3500 lb that was on the trailer.

I agreed to buy the axle and made a deal to drive to Wichita the next morning to get it. I then called FR back to cancel the order with them. They told me that since it had been considered an emergency that they had pulled an axle from the assembly line that that is was already to be shipped and charged me $100 to cancel the order. True, or not, who knows.

I picked up the axle the next morning and the NAPA guy and I swapped it out in the gravel parking lot. Later in the trip, near Denali, we fried the other axle. We had it replaced with a Dexter 5200 to match the other and went to heavier springs all around.

Before this trip we had lost an original axle on the 46th day of a 47 day trip. As the trailer was in warrantee, FR paid for that one.

It was a bit time consuming and not really expensive, but we have solved any issues about overloading. As the service manager in Anchorage said, "You can haul a baby elephant now, if you want too.".

Pete S.

JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, axle, rockwood, wheel