Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
SOME of us have a laundry chute in the bathroom under the sink drawers...
Are some laundry chutes under one of the "nightstands" in the bedroom? I seem to remember seeing something like that, but can't remember which model it was in, where we saw it.
The Crow 1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #42

HSVBamaBob, you earlier mentioned putting 4x4's under legs, doesn't that make the support a little suspect as if something shifts the trailer might it not perhaps fall off, not good. I would think you would want something with a larger footprint.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Brian,

Speak to me oh wise one about this mat!

(We have a folding mat for the same thing but always interested in what others use!)

Cheers,

Bob
Bob,
This mat has hole through it. I have seen a woods version at Costco. That might only in Canada though. The other is Camco RV products. Ours costs $120 CDN but worth every dollar. We just pick it up and shake it out, we use the front compartment for the matt, lawn chairs and tables. When really dirty we hose it off or of lakeside just wash it.

Brian

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #44
WFD

And many campgrounds only allow the flow through type mats since they wont kill the grass and other mats will....also got ours at Costco...best price around...$49 for a 9x12.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #45

We bought ours at Wal Mart for $49.00

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #46

Great posts! We just bought our 2014 8289ws and took it out for the first time this weekend. We have the Diamond Package with the fireplace and extra a/c. The only issues that we were questioning was the noise of the refrigerator fan. From a different post it appears that is 'normal'. I was also questioning why the doors under the sink island were on the opposite side of the sink. However, it is easy to get to and that is where I'm storing my wastebasket and the dogs' food and other stuff. I wondered what the hole was for under the bathroom sink and my husband thought he was joking when he said it was a laundry chute. Good to know that it is supposed to be. I am definitely going to get one of those fresh water gadgets to fill the tank. Where do you get the slide covers?

Love this forum. Great advice and observations from everyone. Thank you all!
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #47

Congratulations on your new 8289WS!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusN View Post
HSVBamaBob, you earlier mentioned putting 4x4's under legs, doesn't that make the support a little suspect as if something shifts the trailer might it not perhaps fall off, not good. I would think you would want something with a larger footprint.

Apologies for delay in reply....we were camping 😜

If something were to profoundly move our 5er that much (considering we have BAL X-Chocks on both wheels, the BAL Tripod Kingpin stabilizer, and stabilizer jacks down in the rear) I am outta there 🏃🙀

Seriously, though, you may not have all that junk holding your rig still. For you, why not bolt two 4x4s together to give you a larger footprint?

In fact you have given me a idea! Think I will do that and then bolt 2 other 4x4s on top to make a 8x8 landing gear stand (remember the shorter the landing gear extension to more stability!)

Thanks Marcus!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #49
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...In fact you have given me a idea! Think I will do that and then bolt 2 other 4x4s on top to make a 8x8 landing gear stand (remember the shorter the landing gear extension to more stability!)

Thanks Marcus!
JT Strongarm type stabilizers are self storing. Before I covered Lynx blocks with alum and bolted them on the jack pads, I lag bolted 2 x 10 x 14 treated blocks to the pads. As for the stab legs, the closer to horizontal they are the weaker they are and are subject to bending very easily. Much better to get them as close to vertical as possible and even better is to reinforce them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear stabilizer pad.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	53550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00211.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	53551  
Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #50

Inaugural camping trip with our 2015 8289ws

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyEd View Post
Great posts! We just bought our 2014 8289ws and took it out for the first time this weekend. We have the Diamond Package with the fireplace and extra a/c. The only issues that we were questioning was the noise of the refrigerator fan. From a different post it appears that is 'normal'. I was also questioning why the doors under the sink island were on the opposite side of the sink. However, it is easy to get to and that is where I'm storing my wastebasket and the dogs' food and other stuff. I wondered what the hole was for under the bathroom sink and my husband thought he was joking when he said it was a laundry chute. Good to know that it is supposed to be. I am definitely going to get one of those fresh water gadgets to fill the tank. Where do you get the slide covers?

Love this forum. Great advice and observations from everyone. Thank you all!

Refer sound - like a whine that just comes on at times? Ours does that too and I am not sure what causes it but it seems to happen when it is really hot outside.

Doors were changed mid year last year because it made it easier to access the space under the island (imagine doors open on refer side and you trying to root inside 😜

Hole in bathroom floor is a laundry chute and some have mods for a hanging laundry bag in the basement and a fitted cover for the chute. I a going to craft a sliding cover so I can open it up, toss in laundry, and slide it shut. Thinking of putting railed around the edge to keep stuff from tipping when I slide the cover open 😀

What slide covers are you talking about? Outside slide covers? Your 8289WS/Diamond is already equipped 👍

You DO know about your outside TV don't you? 😏
Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
JT Strongarm type stabilizers are self storing. Before I covered Lynx blocks with alum and bolted them on the jack pads, I lag bolted 2 x 10 x 14 treated blocks to the pads. As for the stab legs, the closer to horizontal they are the weaker they are and are subject to bending very easily. Much better to get them as close to vertical as possible and even better is to reinforce them.

As usual, you have a better idea OC 😜😃

I have a boatload of Lynx blocks now that we have the Anderson levelers, so I think I will do as you did!

We are going to try to go out on a working camping trip this weekend to install the awning supports...might be able to fit this mod in as well
Old 06-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #52

One of our led lights above the bed doesn't work. How do you remove the bulb, l'd like to test the socket to see if it has power or the bulb is bad.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #53

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlogan10 View Post
One of our led lights above the bed doesn't work. How do you remove the bulb, l'd like to test the socket to see if it has power or the bulb is bad.

Hello, the lamps are a twist to remove. Push in and turn anti clockwise. Just checked the one above my head.

B
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Refer sound - like a whine that just comes on at times? Ours does that too and I am not sure what causes it but it seems to happen when it is really hot outside.

Doors were changed mid year last year because it made it easier to access the space under the island (imagine doors open on refer side and you trying to root inside 😜

Hole in bathroom floor is a laundry chute and some have mods for a hanging laundry bag in the basement and a fitted cover for the chute. I a going to craft a sliding cover so I can open it up, toss in laundry, and slide it shut. Thinking of putting railed around the edge to keep stuff from tipping when I slide the cover open 😀

What slide covers are you talking about? Outside slide covers? Your 8289WS/Diamond is already equipped 👍

The whine from the refer is from the fan venting the rear coils. I changed ours out to two high quality 12v computer fans. So very quiet now.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #55

Quote:

I'm okay with the doors on the opposite side of the sink because of the various reasons stated. I'm not sold on the laundry chute. That's the side where we keep the box to hold the sewer hose and I think dropping laundry down there would be a pain. I just keep the basket in the shower.

I was talking about covers that would go from the roof of the camper to the edge of the slide when it was extended. To help keep twigs off of the slides. I know there are covers for the awnings.

Yes I DO know there is an outside TV. We purchased the winegard satellite with a Dish receiver. Unfortunately the receiver we purchased does not have coax out and you have to use the component (3 color) cord to hook into the camper. The tv that is mounted inside the camper doesn't have HDMI on the sides so that isn't an option. I'm not sure how we are going to get satellite to play in the bedroom or the outside hookup. Will have to find a cord that will convert component to coax. I wish I would have researched the receiver a little more before purchasing. Hindsight is great, isn't it?
KathyEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping