Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #1

Inaugural camping trip with our 2015 8289ws

Our first trip with our new 5th wheel! Loving it at Harrison Lake State Park Ohio. Our favorite place to camp!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399080258750.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	51469  
Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #2

Looks nice and nice looking park
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Looking good

Old 05-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Looks beautiful! Would love to hear your impressions of the unit once you've had some good camping time in it.
The Crow 1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #5

Curious to get your impressions on the 2 awnings...you see we love the 8289 but my DW has issues with the 2 relatively short awnings, vs the 1 longer one on the 8288.

I think I would prefer the 8289 for all the counter space.

Thanks for sharing. l

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #6

Our first camping trip went smooth and really enjoyed the 5th wheel. Having had a TT for several years the extra living space was awsome. One thing I did learn is to not extend the drop down legs to far on the landing gear (makes the front end really wobbly). After the first night I hooked up and shortened the legs up and put some blocks under the landing gear and that made the unit alot more stable. I think down the road I'm going to invest in some JT's stabilizing bars.
It was pretty windy all week-end but didn't notice it in the camper. We are going to rearange where we keep things just for convienence. Found out the things we use the most were not always in the best location.
Miatared - I was a little concerned about the two vs. one awning at first also. I was concerned about hitting your head on the arms of the awnings. It really wasn't a problem for us. I kind of like the smaller awnings the wind didn't seem to affect them as much. We only had the main one out a little because of the wind. But the one on the slide we kept out and put the picnic table under it. It was just the right size for that.
We also like the counter space.
Drawbacks
1. The cupboard doors under the island are on the opposite side of the sink. Very inconvienent.
2. When filling the freshwater tank it gets air trapped and has to burp itself before you can add more water. Very time consuming.
Everything mechanically worked fine.
Very pleased with this 5th wheel so far.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
WFD

jrlogan....they moved the cupboard doors on the opposite side of the sink part way through the yr last year, but its alot easier to access stuff stored in there now. before you had to bend down and get under the part that bows out...the rounded part on the underside of the island...that was much more of a pain.
When you fill your fresh water tank...do you use one of those tank fillers...its about a 6 inch piece that attaches onto your water hose and the 6 inch extended part fits down the throat of your filling tube...works great on our 8289 and they sell them on Amazon for about $6...usually under $8 at RV stores...made by Camco.

Is the door sweep on your shower holding up? Ours is ripping apart and we haven't even used the shower yet...seems to be an issue on the Rockwood showers, however another 8289 owner told me he just removed his and hasnt been a problem...water hasn't been getting out from under the shower door.

Rick
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

WFD - X2 on the Island doors! We were window shopping our 8289WS last year and when we saw it in the spring, 6 Actual (DW) absolutely hated the doors inboard (no room between the refer & island). Our RV Dealer deals direct with FR Corporate and we heard back from them that FR was doing a design change and 3 months later *poof* they were changed. We went down to take a look and they had a 8289WS/Diamond Package on display...well it was on display for about a hour after we walked through it went and had lunch and went back and put a deposit on the unit

jrlogan, we use the island cupboards for cleaning stuff, the trash can, collapsable broom & dustpan and so forth. For us, it is in a perfect location!

Rick - our door sweep is holding up just fine & we have used the shower many times (plus me going in and out with the shower mods I have done ) If yours is failing though and you are going to Goshen, put in a repair request!

jrlogan - what Rick said about the tank filler. Dirt cheap @ Amazon - Amazon.com: Camco 40003 Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve: Automotive

As for the shaking in your fiver get a scrap 4x4 & cut 2 pieces that are @ 2" longer than your landing gear. When you get to camp and level your 5er, put the 4x4s under each landing gear and drop the pads on the 4x4s. Raise your 5er up & unhook, level fore-aft and you will be good to go!
Lots of folks use the stabelizers - and we may get a set as well...we use a BAL fastjack tripod - Amazon.com: BAL 25066 Fastjack King Pin Stabilizer: Automotive and this + Old Coot's step stabelizer mod keeps us pretty rock steady!

Miatared - we don't mind the split awnings (and when we camp for more than a weekend we usually put up a screen house over the picnic table anyway)

The Crow 1994 - In our opinion this is the nicest lightweight 5th wheel out there! We have the diamond package so we have the 2nd A/C unit, Fireplace, Ceiling fan, 2nd TV, outside speakers + other extras.

We really shopped around for our 5er. This is going to be the "retirement casa" in 2 years so we wanted something we could live in for a month+ and not feel Claustrophobic For a couple, this is a nicely apportioned 5er and we really love our Rockwood.

Only thing I have not completely puzzeled through is what to do with the "laundry chute" inthe bathroom cabinet. Currently we are using a collapsable laundry basket we got at Wally World - what is everyone else using?

(I have thought about attaching a laundry bag to the chute with velcro...)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
WFD

jrlogan: we also use the BAL X-choks between the axles...they are fantastic and really help minimize any movement inside. We also picked up a 5th wheel tripod and that makes a world of difference...DW likes to sleep in and I am an early riser...she says after we started using the tripod, she couldn't feel the trailer shaking in the morning as I was moving about....and I am not a heavy guy...

HSVBamaBob: we eliminated the laundry chute...seemed silly to us as the laundry bag would be in the way whenever we are in and out of the underbelly storage. we prefer having a collapsible laundry bag inside the trailer. I just cut a square piece of plywood to cover the hole from inside the cabinet and now we can store stuff down there.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #10

Again X2 what WFD said ...I don't know of a person that does not use the BAL X-Chocks - they are fantastic!

Rick - You did exactly what OC did. I am considering that as well - thinking of making a rimmed hatch that fits the hole but allows for removal JIC 6 Actual (DW) wants the chute back
(She though that was a cool feature LOL)

Bob
Old 05-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #11

Thanks for the info everyone. We do use the BAL X-chocks and they work great.
WFD - our sweep is holding up so far. Although we haven't used the showers but a couple of times so far. That reminds me, I found out the hard way to make sure the shower head is turned off at the head when you turn the water on, otherwise you get wet before you get in the shower!
I will buy a tank filler and give it a try.
My DW wondered what that hole in the bottom of the bathroom cabinet was for. I'm going to cover it for extra storage. Can't have to much storage in the bathroom for all those bottles of creams and what not you know! We use a laundry bag for our dirty clothes.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #12

jrlogan -- speaking of your shower...how's that stock FR Shower head working out for ya?

You - and in particular your DW will want this shower mod
http://www.amazon.com/Oxygenics-Body...cs+shower+head

Most of the old hands on the Forum have 'em installed - oh, and get a cut off valve & mount it at your hose faucet
Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
The Crow 1994 - In our opinion this is the nicest lightweight 5th wheel out there! We have the diamond package so we have the 2nd A/C unit, Fireplace, Ceiling fan, 2nd TV, outside speakers + other extras.

We really shopped around for our 5er. This is going to be the "retirement casa" in 2 years so we wanted something we could live in for a month+ and not feel Claustrophobic For a couple, this is a nicely apportioned 5er and we really love our Rockwood.
Thanks for the review Bob! My wife and I are really looking forward to getting our unit delivered in a month or two. This will be our first camper, let alone fifth wheel and we're really excited about the floor plan of the 8289WS. We went all out when we ordered it too, including the 2nd A/C unit, ceiling fan, fireplace, Thermopane windows, slide out toppers, 2nd tv, and cherry cabinets.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 View Post
Thanks for the review Bob! My wife and I are really looking forward to getting our unit delivered in a month or two. This will be our first camper, let alone fifth wheel and we're really excited about the floor plan of the 8289WS. We went all out when we ordered it too, including the 2nd A/C unit, ceiling fan, fireplace, Thermopane windows, slide out toppers, 2nd tv, and cherry cabinets.
The Crow,

Sounds like you got the same package we got LOL -- did you also get the outside grill? (It hooks to the side rails and is powered off 5er's propane.

Wow so all you have done previously was tent camp? You will be beside yourselves

Might as well start now with all the things you will need - then you will be ready on delivery - OH don't forget to download a copy of the PDI checklist from the files section of the forum.

Here is what I consider absolute minimum for a RV (all are made by Camco & can be purched a great prices on Amazon. If you have Amazon prime, shipping is free!

- do NOT buy from your dealer store, camping world or a "RV" store - their prices are inflated sometimes 200% :
  1. Rhinoflex sewer system
  2. Rhinoflex slinky sewer hose support
  3. 2 white drinking water hoses
  4. Water pressure regulator (a MUST!)
  5. 90 deg brass joint for your RV side water connection (takes the stress off the water hose)
  6. 1 black hose to rinse out your black tank
  7. BAL X-Chocks (set of 2)
  8. BAL quick setup kingpin tripod
  9. Electrical system monitor/Surge Suppressor
    Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive
    Yeah it's pricey but frying your RV's electrics is pricier
  10. Leveling system - if your budget can afford it, get the Anderson system - they cost $44 each and you will need two but they beat HECK out of the lego leveling blocks!
    Amazon.com: Adar Universal Unisex Drawstring Scrub Set (Available in 39 colors) - 701 - Olive - L: Clothing
  11. If you don't have one, a multimeter. Amazon sells a pretty slick kit:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  12. At some point you will need a Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM):
    TST 507 Flow Thru |TST Trucking Systems
  13. Digital Tire Pressure gauge
This list may not include a lot of the sexy stuff like shower heads and the like but these items IMHO just make RV life a lot easier! With the exception of the TPM & Surge none are wallet busters
Old 05-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #15
WFD

HSVBamaBob...so the Oxygenics shower head does not have a shut off on the head? You have to install a cut off valve in order to accomplish this? Is the oxygenics really that much better? Noticeable difference? Been thinking about ordering one but have yet to do it.

Rick
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #16

Quote:
The Crow,

Sounds like you got the same package we got LOL -- did you also get the outside grill? (It hooks to the side rails and is powered off 5er's propane.

Wow so all you have done previously was tent camp? You will be beside yourselves

Might as well start now with all the things you will need - then you will be ready on delivery - OH don't forget to download a copy of the PDI checklist from the files section of the forum.

Here is what I consider absolute minimum for a RV (all are made by Camco & can be purched a great prices on Amazon. If you have Amazon prime, shipping is free!

- do NOT buy from your dealer store, camping world or a "RV" store - their prices are inflated sometimes 200% :
  1. Rhinoflex sewer system
  2. Rhinoflex slinky sewer hose support
  3. 2 white drinking water hoses
  4. Water pressure regulator (a MUST!)
  5. 90 deg brass joint for your RV side water connection (takes the stress off the water hose)
  6. 1 black hose to rinse out your black tank
  7. BAL X-Chocks (set of 2)
  8. BAL quick setup kingpin tripod
  9. Electrical system monitor/Surge Suppressor
    Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive
    Yeah it's pricey but frying your RV's electrics is pricier
  10. Leveling system - if your budget can afford it, get the Anderson system - they cost $44 each and you will need two but they beat HECK out of the lego leveling blocks!
    Amazon.com: Adar Universal Unisex Drawstring Scrub Set (Available in 39 colors) - 701 - Olive - L: Clothing
  11. If you don't have one, a multimeter. Amazon sells a pretty slick kit:
    Extech MN24-KIT Electrical Test Kit - Multi Testers - Amazon.com
  12. At some point you will need a Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM):
    TST 507 Flow Thru |TST Trucking Systems
  13. Digital Tire Pressure gauge
This list may not include a lot of the sexy stuff like shower heads and the like but these items IMHO just make RV life a lot easier! With the exception of the TPM & Surge none are wallet busters
Bob,

Yes, we went with the outside grill, too. My wife did quite a bit of camping when she was younger with her parents. I camped one time when I was a kid in a tent. I was heavily involved in sports as a youngster, so I didn't have much free time in the summer. So, this will really be my first true camping experience.

Thanks for the info about the PDI checklist. I will surely download it before we take delivery of our unit.

Yes. We have an Amazon Prime membership (use it ALL the time). I am making a list right now and will order things steadily until our camper is on the lot. I'm trying to digest as much info as I can on the forum and it has been a wonderful place to find answers to lots of my questions. And, being a newbie, I have LOTS of them...lol.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
WFD

jrlogan....not sure from your photo since trees may be preventing me from seeing it, but are you considering adding vent covers on there. We just got the same trailer, FR installed one on bathroom vent but I am considering adding MaxAire 11's on the other vents...my only concern is mounting the screws into the plastic flange that sticks out above roof line...all the install videos show mounting them onto vents that have a metal flange...now they are all plastic....as well if they have a fan in the vent there is a plastic housing inside which prevents from attaching a nut to a bolt on the inside...FR put a Fantastic Vent cover and not a MaxAir but I dont like the idea of cutting out roof sealant to access the screws that need to be removed, and having to re-seal.

Rick
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
HSVBamaBob...so the Oxygenics shower head does not have a shut off on the head? You have to install a cut off valve in order to accomplish this? Is the oxygenics really that much better? Noticeable difference? Been thinking about ordering one but have yet to do it.

Rick
Oxygenics DOES come with a built-inshutoff button if you get the right model. Just carefully check the packaging or the online details. In my opinion it makes an amazing difference. Yes, it's really that much better.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
WFD - X2 on the Island doors! We were window shopping our 8289WS last year and when we saw it in the spring, 6 Actual (DW) absolutely hated the doors inboard (no room between the refer & island). Our RV Dealer deals direct with FR Corporate and we heard back from them that FR was doing a design change and 3 months later *poof* they were changed. We went down to take a look and they had a 8289WS/Diamond Package on display...well it was on display for about a hour after we walked through it went and had lunch and went back and put a deposit on the unit

jrlogan, we use the island cupboards for cleaning stuff, the trash can, collapsable broom & dustpan and so forth. For us, it is in a perfect location!

Rick - our door sweep is holding up just fine & we have used the shower many times (plus me going in and out with the shower mods I have done ) If yours is failing though and you are going to Goshen, put in a repair request!

jrlogan - what Rick said about the tank filler. Dirt cheap @ Amazon - Amazon.com: Camco 40003 Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve: Automotive

As for the shaking in your fiver get a scrap 4x4 & cut 2 pieces that are @ 2" longer than your landing gear. When you get to camp and level your 5er, put the 4x4s under each landing gear and drop the pads on the 4x4s. Raise your 5er up & unhook, level fore-aft and you will be good to go!
Lots of folks use the stabelizers - and we may get a set as well...we use a BAL fastjack tripod - Amazon.com: BAL 25066 Fastjack King Pin Stabilizer: Automotive and this + Old Coot's step stabelizer mod keeps us pretty rock steady!

Miatared - we don't mind the split awnings (and when we camp for more than a weekend we usually put up a screen house over the picnic table anyway)

Only thing I have not completely puzzeled through is what to do with the "laundry chute" inthe bathroom cabinet. Currently we are using a collapsable laundry basket we got at Wally World - what is everyone else using?

(I have thought about attaching a laundry bag to the chute with velcro...)
X2 On all points. We just had a week once again in our 8289 and 0 -4 temps, warm and cozy with the furnace and fireplace.

We put our laundry under the bed right in baskets sorted ready for the DW.

We also added Bal X-Chocks and the stability is greatly improved.

The small awnings are fine with us, the one on the slide is the BBQ outdoor kitchen area and front one is living space. i have owned trailers ith larger awnings and the smaller ones do handle the wind better.

One of the best investments is the 12 by 24 flow thru mat for outdoors, keeps the dirt and twigs out of the trailer. We camp at Provincial Parks under the trees and lots of stuff attaches to the dog, she lies on the matt most of the time.

Best of luck getting everything organized! I redo the garage often!

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Rick,

Order of magnitude difference my friend! Think how it would be if you could relocate your home shower in your RV It really is worth the money!

You can rotate the head to a fast dribble, but for me it is more convienant to just twist an knob (at the faucet) than futz around with the shower head. Most cut offs will still let a small dribble out to keep the water temp balanced. There are a few on the market that are true 100% cutoff valves but they cost $25+

Bob

Tags
camping