Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

If it weren't for this forum and learning from "how to" YouTube videos, I' d still be cussin' in my sleep. When we did our PDI, we were so dazzled be the splendor of or new palace, that neither one of us remembered much of what was said. It's a complicated machine and, no matter how hard you try, you just ain't gonna learn it in two hours. Get used to finding your own answers, you'll be less frustrated in the long run. Again, this forum and others like it, give you the benefit of a huge data base of those who have been there, done that.....

But don't dwell on the negatives, they're energy vampires and will ruin your fun.....

Happy trails!!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #22
Alleged curmudgeon

tend to agree with Paradise...

we studied the trailer (and even read the entire "generic" Forest River TT owners manual) at length before delivery. I invested a bunch in learning the ropes, including hours and hours studying FRF posts after we'd narrowed our search to some Rockwood TT's. I knew there would be a steep curve nonetheless. After two years of shopping TT's, my sense was (and is) that Forest River is every bit as good as (or better than) the vast majority of manufacturers, hence my choice of TT. However, it is obvious that the rv industry is one where there are constant changes to floor plan offerings and the supplier components which are included in or installed on various models (even during a single "model year"), which would seem to make it an unmanageable task to create and update a "true" model- or unit-specific owner's manual. What's more, even if FR did so, I don't think it would be worth the extra cost to me, which I imagine would be significant. In the end, if you are not ready to take ownership of the TT and truly "know" it, you will be frustrated. JMO.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #23
Alleged curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
If it weren't for this forum and learning from "how to" YouTube videos, I' d still be cussin' in my sleep. When we did our PDI, we were so dazzled be the splendor of or new palace, that neither one of us remembered much of what was said. It's a complicated machine and, no matter how hard you try, you just ain't gonna learn it in two hours. Get used to finding your own answers, you'll be less frustrated in the long run. Again, this forum and others like it, give you the benefit of a huge data base of those who have been there, done that.....

But don't dwell on the negatives, they're energy vampires and will ruin your fun.....

Happy trails!!
x2!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Buzzard View Post
Learned a long time ago, get a 4" thick binder,put dividers in it for all manuals that you can get, find or copy. Dividers for everything from fans to door locks. In each section have 3or4 notebook pages to refrence things that you picked up here or specific threads that pertain to something important(keep adding to it). Beats the crap out of the generic that you got when you bought your rig.. PS keep the note book with you whenever you travel.
X2.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I think you straw manned that a bit far.
A useful manual for the trailers we purchase, yes.
A knowledgeable and helpful dealer staff, yes.
A good responsive manufacturer's customer service, yes.
An all encompassing knowledge base for RV'ing, no one asked for that.
Well, I looked up Straw Man:

1: a weak or imaginary opposition (as an argument or adversary) set up only to be easily confuted

2: a person set up to serve as a cover for a usually questionable transaction

How did this apply to Terier's comment, "It would be nice to have a One-Stop shop for RVing knowledge but (and?) I can't help but think of RV life before the Internet."

I have to admit I am as confused as she is...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #26

I'd like to see a quality instructional DVD in addition to the owners manual. This could be used across various trailers from FR as the components are generally the same; only the floor plan is different.
A new RV'er is going to be in sensory overload with all of the instructions provided in a good walk through and is likely not going to retain everything.
I've learned more on this forum and in finding/viewing relevant how-to videos on the net than I did in the walk through.
Make it easier and convenient for your customers...furnish an instructional video that we can reference when problems arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel DRW
2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2608 WS
2013 Days Camping: 61
2014 Days Camping: 200+
TxTravelingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #27

What you say makes sense...in that case..it may never happen

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #28

An online video reference area - other than YouTube- specific to models would be nice. We bought ours used thus no PDI just a quick this is this and that is that by previous owners. Yes YouTube has been almost as helpful as this forum but it sure does take lots of searching sometimes!. PS I hate it when I need service and the guys are just hanging out chatting, I feel kind of like an interruption
cowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbelle View Post
An online video reference area - other than YouTube- specific to models would be nice. We bought ours used thus no PDI just a quick this is this and that is that by previous owners. Yes YouTube has been almost as helpful as this forum but it sure does take lots of searching sometimes!. PS I hate it when I need service and the guys are just hanging out chatting, I feel kind of like an interruption

Agree. Probably less expensive for FR having an online video reference area rather than printing a ton of DVDs. Information could be updated in a timely fashion with minimal cost and could be model specific.
Really surprised none of the major players don't offer that. Very time consuming to go through 100's of YouTube videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel DRW
2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2608 WS
2013 Days Camping: 61
2014 Days Camping: 200+
TxTravelingRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #30
Jack of All Trades

You know, what gets me is everyone tries to compare a RV to a car - and I don't know why. A car is a piece of equipment composed of many parts engineered to fit and work together as a cohesive machine.

A RV is more comparable to a house - a shell filled with appliances, equipment, and devices from many different manufactures put together by a group of people who really doesn't have the engineering knowledge on how to integrate it all together, that does work together - sort-of.

I mean look at it, one group comes in and puts in the foundation (in RV's it's the running gear/chassis), then another group, the carpenters, come in and put up the outside walls (the RV shell), another group (the roofers) put the roof on, the carpenters and drywallers come in and put up the interior walls. At the same time, a group of plumbers are putting in the rough-in plumbing, the electrical rough-in is being done by a group of electricians, meanwhile some group goes out and buys appliances (stove, washer, dryer, furnace, air conditioner, water heater, etc. etc.) from various manufactures expecting the plumber, electrician, HVAC and other groups to know where and how to install this stuff and make it all work together - sort-of.

Sure looks like a RV is a house, but on wheels.

Now, when you buy a house, do you get a comprehensive operating manual? No, just like a RV. Do you get a wiring and plumbing diagram? Again, no, just like a RV. What you get is a ream of individual IOM (Installation, Operating, and Maintenance) manuals, if your lucky, from all the manufactures for the appliances and equipment in the house - just like a RV.

Once the house (RV) is complete, you do a walk through (PDI) and develope a punch list of all the problems, deficiencies, things broken or missing, etc., just like in a RV. I don't know about you, but I've never seen a new house without an extensive punch list of things needing to be fixed - just like in a RV. Some of the items on the punch list will be fixed by the GC (General Contractor) but many you end up fixing yourself - just like a RV.

Once you take possession and something breaks, like a water heater, who fixes it? Unless you are very lucky and get a home warranty (which aren't often offered or are included at an exhorbiant price) either you fix it or you hire someone to fix it - NOT like a RV, you automatically get a one year warranty from the manufacturer on the RV, and their assistance (generally) if some other manufactures equipment malfunctions.

Now, several years down the road, you remodel the house, you open up a wall or floor and find the carpenters, dry wallers, plumbers, electricians, HVAC and any other group that worked on the house while it was being built left behind shavings, sawdust, coffee cups, soda cans, cigerate butts, newspapers, betting slips, etc. etc. (and hopefully no biological residues) - just like a RV.

Now take all the problems with the purchase of a house and the failures in the first year, and put the house on a shaker table - just like your RV going down the road - and see what happens. And you think you have problems with your RV?

Now think, you paid hundred of thousands of dollars for your house, and only thousands of dollars for you RV, overall which is the better deal? Remember a RV is not an essential purchase like a house it is a luxury!

I guess I was extremely lucky with my current RV. It is two (three?) years old and has not had a major problem or been back to the dealer since I bought it. It's had a few small issues, some self inflected, that I fixed myself. Based on what I paid for what I got I'm very pleased with my Forest River product. This is our third new trailer, the other two were not Forest River products, and I had similar experience with the other RV's. What I will say, our Windjammer is the best built, best operating, nicest RV of the five RV's we have owned in the last 40 years.

Just my opinion!

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Buzzard View Post
Learned a long time ago, get a 4" thick binder,put dividers in it for all manuals that you can get, find or copy.
We are a bit more high tech - we have everything on our iPads yeah I know they can die or whatever but the ability to do searches is invaluable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTravelingRN View Post
I'd like to see a quality instructional DVD in addition to the owners manual.
This was seen as a need and so there are DVDs out there - generic yes, but targeted toward a specific RV (PopUp, TT, 5er, MH)

As others have said, a RV is a shell built by the company and filled with third party components....it CAN and is overwhelming to a new RV enthusiast. This will pass (like a kidney stone )

Your Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is critical to the enjoyment of your RV. Your dealer is second--if you have a uncaring dealer I am sorry and to be frank, you are screwed. Try to find another dealer who will help you out - they ARE out there!

Get an extended warranty. Really. REALLY. We have a 7 year one through Good Sam. This will save you a BUNCH (one slide out repair can cost double the cost of the policy!)

Ask questions, learn to be self sufficient, expect to become your own best handy person and honestly? Learn to look at fixing & upgrading your RV as a fun experience! (I was just up on the roof today "bug proofing" our A/C units
Thread here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...a-c-65186.html
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

I started my "Dash One" (Air Force term for "the binder with all the sections used to fly airplanes) for my camper the day I brought it home. It soon became so heavy I started looking for the digital versions of all the manuals and pictures I was collecting.

Now my "instruction manual" is 10.3 gigabytes of pictures, subject links, manuals, instruction videos from YouTube, parts links, and graphs.

I organized it by system and can find most things I need to access in just a few clicks of the mouse.

A Forum member (I wish I could remember who) called it the "Herkbrary" a few years ago and it stuck.

Nearly every day something new gets added; to the Herkbrary and to my knowledge bank.

Start your own and you will be amazed at how it grows. Be forewarned though, organization is the key and BACK IT UP!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote