Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Information pertaining a 2012 Rockwood 8289 Fifth Wheel Query

We are contemplating on purchasing a 2012 Rockwood 8289 fifth wheel and would appreciate any information on this unit. Does it have a good reputation, any known problems overall, and wonder if our 2011 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton, 4x4, Vortex 6L motor, could pull this unit? We have never owned a fifth and are wondering what sort of hitch that would be recommended. (I worry about the inside layout and leave the heavy duty questions to hubby.)
Thank you so much for taking the time to consider our query.
Kiwican5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Hawksclaw554

I have a 2014 Rockwood 8289ws and planned on pulling it with my 2008 Tundra. I had the towing capacity but installed firestone air bags to keep it level. I was about 3-400 lbs over on pin weight and did not feel comfortable pulling it. Looked around and found a used 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 cummins diesel. Built in brake controller and exhaust brake. Love it pulls 5th wheel like it's not back there. 60 mph 1500 rpm I avg 11-12.5 mpg. I start up put truck in tow haul mode turn on exhaust brake and roll. Stay in rt lane on interstate at 60 with cruise set. I know there are a lot of don't ever use cruis when pulling etc etc. I stay well back disengage if I get in rain or other hazardous towing conditions. With your truck you shouldn't see any problem pulling your Rockwood. No problems so far. Longest pull to date was 750 miles to Mouseland and back in June. Took out island stools and table with lamp. Just got in way. Enjoy your new 5th wheel. This is our first one also
Hawksclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
As Hawksclaw said, your truck will pull an 8289ws just fine. You will be well within your towing capacities. If your truck is a longbed, any 5th wheel hitch will do. My favorite brand is B&W...VERY well built and Made in the USA! They are not the cheapest though.

If your truck is a short bed, then there is a little more to the decision. With 5th wheels, shortbed trucks give less clearance between the trailer and the cab when backing and turning sharply (think backing in to a site). The trailer will contact the trucks cab much sooner than with a long bed. Your choices will be to 1, use a standard hitch and drive accordingly (the route I chose). 2, Use a "slider" hitch that moves the trailer pin back a foot or so whenever needed (there are both automatic and manual versions). 3, Your trailer may very well have a rotating pin box on it called a "Reese Revolution" (my 2013 8289ws has this). With this option you buy a standard 5th wheel hitch for the truck, and then set the trailers pin box up to rotate at the back instead of at the pin. There are pros and cons to each choice.

My wife and I are completely thrilled with our 8289ws. We were looking at much more expensive trailers and found the 8289 to be a fantastic value when compared. This was amplified when we found a slightly "used" 2013 that had most of the available upgrades in it and saved a ton over new.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #4

I have had a 2012 since new. It will be 3 years Feb. I have not had anything major happen to it except they replaced the WFCO converter. I did take the water filter out just because of it is almost impossible to get to, because of the room in the location. The second time the WFCO went out I changed to a progressive much better converter. The Fan kept going out. The progressive has 2 fans and I never hear it like the WFCO. The awnings are not the best but the same as everyone else. You should get some support poles. You can contact OC on the Forum he has made up some kits that work quite well. You can read the comments under awning poles. The loaded weight will come in around 9100 lbs or so loaded. So I can't say if your pick up will be all right that's up to you. It will come with a Reese revolution pin box so you can activate that and not have to get a slider. Check the tires if they are Trail Express they are the originals, and get rid of them. Nothing but problems. The only thing I dislike is the double sewer lines, got by that by adding a "Y". It's a very good unit and you hear of very little problems with them. Electrical is on the light side. They really have to many outlets on the same circuit, but you will get use to it. Plenty of storage area. Hope that helps....I have a Husky 16 K hitch great hitch for the money and your not breaking the bank to buy one, but you will have rails in your truck bed.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #5

Hello, I have a 2015 8289WS and 2014 F150 Ecoboost V6 with 6 foot bed. The truck performed great on the first trip. 65 mph at 2400 RPM.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
WFD

We have a 2014 8289, and are pulling it with a 2011 GMC 3/4 4x4 with the Vortec engine like yours. Truck handles it very well...your gas mileage will be poor when towing, that's just a fact of life when towing. If you get stressed over mpg when towing, then stick to hotels. Don't be surprised if this thread turns into a diesel vs gas debate...someone will go there. But to answer your question, that truck will handle that trailer and be well within its specs.
As far as hitches....the shortbox is a non issue in a GMC 2500 HD...they don't come in the 5 1/2ft shortbox like a 1500 does...it does come in 2 box sizes, but it will either be 6 1/2 or 8. Ours is the 6 1/2....I do have a Reese slider hitch, but have never needed to use it...it's there if I get into a jam. As mentioned earlier, that trailer will also come with the Reese Revolution pin box. so you can always decide to engage that if you like. A word of caution there though, the custom wedge that comes with the trailer to engage it doesn't always work the best...depends on type of hitch you have. I tried it, and it gave me some grief, so like many others on here, I would need to get a custom wedge if I wanted to re-engage the Reese Revolution.
It's a great trailer with a fantastic floor plan for our needs...it will have some issues as any brand will...none of them are truly trouble free, and there will always be a few things you will need to tweak. Most of it is pretty simple stuff that can be done by anybody.