Old 10-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #11

Help winterize

We tried to winterize ours today but when we flipped the valve to use the antifreeze inlet nothing happened. We tried pouring 6 gallons into potable water tank but the pump is not moving that either. The water pump turns on you can hear it but can't get antifreeze moving. Any ideas?

Old 10-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #12

Some thoughts in random order:

You probably shouldn't have put any AF in your FW tank. Next spring you'll need to fill and drain a number of times to get all the AF out (I hope you've bypassed your water heater!).

Dumb question - Did you realign the valve back to the FW tank before you ran the pump again?

Some pumps are connected to the side of the FW tank rather than the bottom, so you need quite a bit of liquid in them to cover the connection and allow the pump to pump without sucking air. Six gallons may not be enough if your tank is like that.

If you line the valve back up to the AF connection, and attach the hose to it and if you can get some AF into the hose by holding it up and pouring the AF into the end of it (as opposed to just sticking the end of the hose down into the jug) you may be able to "force prime" the pump. Once it's primed, you can go back to sticking the hose in the jug.

Some units have TWO valves, not one. If you have 2 and didn't close the other, you'll suck air. See attached generic plumbing pic that shows several suction valving options.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (183.5 KB, 20 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #13

t amazes me that someone would make such a critical comment about this forum. There is more information on this forum than one can imagine. All one has to do is look.!

Brandon2
2014 Sun Seeker2500TS
Old 10-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #14

I had the same question last year when I winterized my Forest River Flagstsff. I found a "How to" at Westlandcamping.com. Click on their "service tips" and scroll down to "How to winterize my Flagstaff". Rockwoods & Flagstaffs are made on the same assembly line for Forest River.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfisher View Post
We tried to winterize ours today but when we flipped the valve to use the antifreeze inlet nothing happened. We tried pouring 6 gallons into potable water tank but the pump is not moving that either. The water pump turns on you can hear it but can't get antifreeze moving. Any ideas?
Did you have issues with pump before now? Can you please post a pic of the valve?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #16
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfisher View Post
6 gal into your fresh water tank is probably not enough for it to draw. When I put fresh water in my tank it takes more than that before there is enough depth in the bottom of the tank in order for the pump to draw it up. As mentioned in another post probably better if you hadn't added antifreeze to the fresh tank, don't add more as it can be difficult to get it all out and rinse thoroughly. if your pump isn't drawing from the antifreeze jug double check that the you are turning the right valve and check that it is completely moved over. If that is done correctly than we need to continue to troubleshoot as others have mentioned.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Just some personal experience with my 2016 FR RV,

Three of the 4 "low point drain valves were defective from the factory. I turned the valve handles but the handles turned on the valve stem. Luckily I also blew out all my water lines or I would have had many frozen lines and according to service writer at General RV the frozen pipes would have been my fault. Oh ya they had no interest in replacing the defective valves because I didn't discover the defect in time.

Part of the reason I blew out the lines was I could not attach a fitting to the inlet side of the water pump. Of course FR doesn't provide the special fitting nor did they provide any clearance to attach a fitting even if they did give me the fitting as the inlet line is hard against a bulkhead so I would need to remove the pump which is also almost impossible as there is insufficient clearance to get a screwdeiver and my hand in the space provided.

I made a small tank that I could pressurize. Filled it with RV antifreeze and even after blowing out the lines I added a couple gal antifreeze.

I did use the hot water by-pass and drained that tank and didn't add antifreeze to it.

Good luck. Just don't expect any help or support from FR.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #18

katfisher:

You might want to post your rigs name and model number (better yet, put it in your signature). Someone with the same rig might have better advice.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, winter, winterize