Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Information to Winterize 2016 Rockwood 8325SS.

If possible would like information on winterizing my 8325SS. I was going to blow out the lines, but noticed how my unit has a antifreeze inlet valve on the outside of my unit. I am not sure how to work this aspect of the unit. Would appreciate any information that would help me to understand how to properly winterize my unit. Thanks in advance.
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

Good luck getting any help from this group. I've had a question out there for about a week now. Not a single response. I had the same question as you regarding winterizing and found some good information on youtube. Way more helpful than waiting around for folks on this forum. I'm pretty disappointed in case you can't tell.
Nogrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
If possible would like information on winterizing my 8325SS. I was going to blow out the lines, but noticed how my unit has a antifreeze inlet valve on the outside of my unit. I am not sure how to work this aspect of the unit. Would appreciate any information that would help me to understand how to properly winterize my unit. Thanks in advance.
You can use the antifreeze inlet for your air fitting. You will have to remove your filter housing and drain it. The air does not evacuate the housing. You have to drain your water heater, close the water valves and open the bypass valve. Don't forget the low point drains located under the belly. Don't exceed 30# air pressure. If you have a manual, look up and use the air blowout procedure even though they rarely are specific to your rig.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
WFD

Located in the same area as your pump, so likely in a cabinet, you will have a bypass valve that will draw from that antifreeze inlet on the side of your trailer rather than from your fresh water tank. You will need a section of hose that you can cut just so its long enough to drop into your antifreeze jug. When you activate the pump it will draw from the jug. As mentioned, there are excellent youtube videos to show you how to winterize....lots to mention in a reply on this forum.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
Good luck getting any help from this group. I've had a question out there for about a week now. Not a single response. I had the same question as you regarding winterizing and found some good information on youtube. Way more helpful than waiting around for folks on this forum. I'm pretty disappointed in case you can't tell.
What was your original post? You didn't do a PDI?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What was your original post? You didn't do a PDI?
The OP Nogray wanted someone to tell him what screen room to buy, my thought maybe no one reading this area of the forum uses one.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Ahhh ..your probably correct
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
You can use this to connect air line to outdoor antifreeze port. You must still open valve near pump used to draw antifreeze. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-B...winterizing+rv

Nogray, many times using the search bar will prove helpful. There are thousands of posts on winterizing on here. Many of which will include links to the better/best youtube videos. If you had a very specific question on winterizing many on here would be more than glad to help, some may even go out of their way to help. To say this forum's members will not offer help is simply bogus. Your post will only be front and center to everyone for a brief amount of time due to huge number of posts that occur daily. Especially if they are multiple hot topics going on at the same time.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Thanks again for the replies. I went to utube for the procedure. Just got finished winterizing the T.T. My main question was where the valve is located to draw the anti-freeze into the unit...FOUND IT! On a personal note to Nogrey, This is an excellent forum to get answers or just plain help. I have found myself being helped by different members, that have save me time and money. Don"t give up, the majority of people on this forum do help.
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post

Nevertheless you are still here. But for what purpose?
Old 10-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

Help winterize

We tried to winterize ours today but when we flipped the valve to use the antifreeze inlet nothing happened. We tried pouring 6 gallons into potable water tank but the pump is not moving that either. The water pump turns on you can hear it but can't get antifreeze moving. Any ideas?
katfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #12

Some thoughts in random order:

You probably shouldn't have put any AF in your FW tank. Next spring you'll need to fill and drain a number of times to get all the AF out (I hope you've bypassed your water heater!).

Dumb question - Did you realign the valve back to the FW tank before you ran the pump again?

Some pumps are connected to the side of the FW tank rather than the bottom, so you need quite a bit of liquid in them to cover the connection and allow the pump to pump without sucking air. Six gallons may not be enough if your tank is like that.

If you line the valve back up to the AF connection, and attach the hose to it and if you can get some AF into the hose by holding it up and pouring the AF into the end of it (as opposed to just sticking the end of the hose down into the jug) you may be able to "force prime" the pump. Once it's primed, you can go back to sticking the hose in the jug.

Some units have TWO valves, not one. If you have 2 and didn't close the other, you'll suck air. See attached generic plumbing pic that shows several suction valving options.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (183.5 KB, 76 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #13

t amazes me that someone would make such a critical comment about this forum. There is more information on this forum than one can imagine. All one has to do is look.!

Brandon2
2014 Sun Seeker2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #14

I had the same question last year when I winterized my Forest River Flagstsff. I found a "How to" at Westlandcamping.com. Click on their "service tips" and scroll down to "How to winterize my Flagstaff". Rockwoods & Flagstaffs are made on the same assembly line for Forest River.
Vardo Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfisher View Post
We tried to winterize ours today but when we flipped the valve to use the antifreeze inlet nothing happened. We tried pouring 6 gallons into potable water tank but the pump is not moving that either. The water pump turns on you can hear it but can't get antifreeze moving. Any ideas?
Did you have issues with pump before now? Can you please post a pic of the valve?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfisher View Post
6 gal into your fresh water tank is probably not enough for it to draw. When I put fresh water in my tank it takes more than that before there is enough depth in the bottom of the tank in order for the pump to draw it up. As mentioned in another post probably better if you hadn't added antifreeze to the fresh tank, don't add more as it can be difficult to get it all out and rinse thoroughly. if your pump isn't drawing from the antifreeze jug double check that the you are turning the right valve and check that it is completely moved over. If that is done correctly than we need to continue to troubleshoot as others have mentioned.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Just some personal experience with my 2016 FR RV,

Three of the 4 "low point drain valves were defective from the factory. I turned the valve handles but the handles turned on the valve stem. Luckily I also blew out all my water lines or I would have had many frozen lines and according to service writer at General RV the frozen pipes would have been my fault. Oh ya they had no interest in replacing the defective valves because I didn't discover the defect in time.

Part of the reason I blew out the lines was I could not attach a fitting to the inlet side of the water pump. Of course FR doesn't provide the special fitting nor did they provide any clearance to attach a fitting even if they did give me the fitting as the inlet line is hard against a bulkhead so I would need to remove the pump which is also almost impossible as there is insufficient clearance to get a screwdeiver and my hand in the space provided.

I made a small tank that I could pressurize. Filled it with RV antifreeze and even after blowing out the lines I added a couple gal antifreeze.

I did use the hot water by-pass and drained that tank and didn't add antifreeze to it.

Good luck. Just don't expect any help or support from FR.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #18

katfisher:

You might want to post your rigs name and model number (better yet, put it in your signature). Someone with the same rig might have better advice.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, winter, winterize