Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Initial Hook Up

Good Evening,

We just picked up our Rockwood Signature Unit on Friday and tonight went to the storage lot to attempt our first hook up on our own. We (wife and I ) did ok, but have a few questions or need to verify what we did.

1. At the demo we were told to first attach the unit to the hitch ball, then raise the unit up prior to hooking up the weight distribution bars. Also saw the same advice on You Tube...so I trust that is ok?

2. At the demo they made the setting and instructed me to attach the chain at the second link and let the remainder fall below the bar. We did use the second link, and the remaining links were very tight...barely would move. I don't recall if they were that tight at the demo. Just wanted to be sure that the unit will still turn when the weight distirbution bars are so tight?

Thanks in advance for the assistance, as I said earlier, first time hook up and want to make sure I do it right....I did get the entire unit hooked up...did not pull it off the lot, have to Labor Day to worry about that!!!

Thanks.
Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinals View Post
Good Evening,

We just picked up our Rockwood Signature Unit on Friday and tonight went to the storage lot to attempt our first hook up on our own. We (wife and I ) did ok, but have a few questions or need to verify what we did.

1. At the demo we were told to first attach the unit to the hitch ball, then raise the unit up prior to hooking up the weight distribution bars. Also saw the same advice on You Tube...so I trust that is ok?

2. At the demo they made the setting and instructed me to attach the chain at the second link and let the remainder fall below the bar. We did use the second link, and the remaining links were very tight...barely would move. I don't recall if they were that tight at the demo. Just wanted to be sure that the unit will still turn when the weight distirbution bars are so tight?

Thanks in advance for the assistance, as I said earlier, first time hook up and want to make sure I do it right....I did get the entire unit hooked up...did not pull it off the lot, have to Labor Day to worry about that!!!

Thanks.
Number 1....Yep.

Number 2: If the extra chain lengths are hanging free, then how can they be tight ?? I don't quite understand what is happening.

If you are using a Reese setup, the minimum chains under tension should be 5 lengths. You need that many for free movement of the spring bars. Check your instruction booklet. As far as other makes, 2 lengths sounds like too few also, but check out the instruction booklets on those just in case.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Sorry, there there are at least 5 links under tension on both sides....
Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote