Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #21

A good place to find out what your unit is worth is http://m.nadaguides.com/
In the end your much better off getting the lowest price on the new unit even if you must accept a lower value on your trade as you will be paying lower sales tax and DMV fees. Also make sure your not paying an inflated (or any) PDI and if you are, make sure it's added after the tax is calculated. You shouldn't pay tax on a service. If you can sell you rig instead of trading it in you will probably come out on top.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #22

Your subject was "insulted by Trade Offer" was that just something you threw in and the main thing is what will last us 10 years? You may find (or not) some useful info here.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...the+longest%3F
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #23

Can't think of many products that depreciate as quickly as an RV. Traded our RV in September and found the value fair.

Of course, if I wanted to put the work in, in selling it myself, I would get more. Kind of like trading a car. But who wants to deal with the world of Craigslist tire kickers asking countless questions and never showing-up to walk through. The Craigslist people that I enjoy the most are those shoppers that are shopping for a family member or a friend. They never show up and who shops for someone else?
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everidge View Post
I get that. As I said, Live and Learn. My main question was when deciding on a new unit we want one that will "last" for many years. Do we need to be looking at "four season" models or heavier weight units or will the lighter weight units hold up just as well long term? I also understand that how you maintain and care for units is very important.
Hello
We are in the same scenario right now. We have the light weight less 4 season RV and looking at a Heavier 4 season RV with 2 AC, outside TV, Large Fridge, nicer bathroom, 16 inch G Series, Correct Track Axle etc.

Both of us had parents that passed at a early age and we figured we might as well enjoy travelling when we can. So 16,000 GVWR trailer on a 350 truck we are good to go.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
Trade-in value is set by the specific dealer based on his situation and expectations so no source will help you tie it down other than to know it will be well below low retail. The nada will be useful with private sellers, and if you compare nada with their offers, over time you will understand how to make it work for you. I always like to ask them how they determined the price...often enough to pay off the debt they are upside down on and well above a reasonable market value..so you start with a low offer and know your alternatives because you have been searching the market.

If they are upside down on a loan, don't pay for their problem.

I know, everyone wants a reliable easy answer and a reliable never-fails rv.
I've sometimes wondered just how many late model used RV's on dealers lots are really walk away's, where people buy them, use them a year or two, loose interest for any number of reasons and then when they realize they cannot even 'break even' on what they owe, walk away from the unit.

Little money down, long payment terms are enticing but the shock of being upside down on an RV could well attribute to walking away....

Always been curious about that.

There is one other thing that depreciates faster than an RV, a snowmobile. Typical snowmobile depreciates 50% when you rake it off the showroom floor.

Back when I rode sleds, I always bought used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #26
exposurecontrol

I feel your pain. Generally you can forget the NADA value on your trade-in..you'll never get it. Or if you do, they are not going to give you much if any adjustment on your new unit. Just went through an extensive buying process in April. Traded in a 2014 unit. Averaging all the offers, the best I got offered was 70% (gave up 30%) of original purchase price. It hurts, but the dealers were pretty consistent in and most were quite up front on why they offered that much. In the end you want to try and have several units that you really like with different dealers and take the best offer you can get. Yes, the depreciation on RV's suck.
exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #27

I fail to understand why anyone thinks they're going get a lot of money out of an RV. They depreciate just like everything else. And the less the demand, the greater the depreciation.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:22 PM   #28

Trade?

The NADA web site has listings for new and used TT, 5ers, etc. I'd say it is easy to use. Just put in the Company, Brand, and model e.g. Forest River, Flagstaff, Vlite, 30 W_ _ _ _ _.
We sold our 8 yr old Puma locally; reserved a new V Lite with a dealer close to the Millersburg, IN factory. Saved BIG off MSRV. Also got a good tour of the factory.
Had to take it back 6 months later to get 20 some odd punch list items taken care of at dealer and one at the factory. Factory Warranty: rep Roger.
Great dealer. Total Value RV in Elkhart, IN.
Sales, Scot Moody + Service tops too.
lengercce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #29

It is all about living the dream, not selling....
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #30

Quote:
That covers it.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #31

Googl your trailer and see what it is selling for
JR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:40 AM   #32
ARLO

Higher quality is better sometimes but not always. Our 829fkss super lite( Rockwood signature3 ultra lite)is 7 years old and still in great shape. Our last travel trailer was a holiday Rambler and was junk. FR backs up their warranties pretty good.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Higher quality is better sometimes but not always. Our 829fkss super lite( Rockwood signature3 ultra lite)is 7 years old and still in great shape. Our last travel trailer was a holiday Rambler and was junk. FR backs up their warranties pretty good.
I agree. My last TC was junk too. This one is light years better in build, fit and finish.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #34

The only number that means anything when buying/trading for a new RV is the amount of the check that you need to write!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #35

Quote:
This is absolutely true, but since lately the dream includes taking others with us, something not possible in our current trailer, the dream needs an upgrade.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:14 PM   #36

Time to not be concerned about the price on the new one or the trade-in value of the old one as separate items. What's the net cost difference? If the trade-in is too low, you might want to try selling it yourself and see what you can get for it. RVTrader.com might give you a good comparison of what other units identical to your trade-in are valued at.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #37

be leary of organizations that for 500 or 600 dollars will post your trailer in their network.
we were so desperate to sell ours that we paid $600 US to a company that picked up my listing on KIJIJI and did an advert using my very own images. in 4 yrs I did not get one interested person inquire.
They set the price too high and while mine sat at 21,000 others were selling for 14,000.
do some researching and determine what will get you as close to the value it is set to and if you have to back down on the new trailer size a bit to accomplish that dream well it will still happen.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #38

If you can sell the unit at all privately, sell it and be happy you found a buyer. Otherwise, just smile if a dealer is willing to take your unit as a trade-in for the insulting value offered. This was a key part of your traveling cost calculation, even if you didn't consider it to be so.

There are quite a few MHs and trailers I see rusting away on lots. Some, possibly because the owner could not sell them for what they wanted.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
Agree with Dave - calculate the tax saving on the price difference to be sure if you sell privately, you add that number.
Also agree on his poison. Focus on the difference you want to pay. I don't care what they give me for trade or the new model - just what I exited to pay out of pocket. I have done this 10 times in 13 years.
Once the price matches what I tell them I have on the note in my pocket, I still push for antenna, hitch, or some type of throw-in.
I am new here, but I agree with Dave and Mala. I just traded in my old camper last week. The dealer only saw my camper in pictures before he offered more than I thought it was worth. I'm sure he did the paperwork (he said he did) to make it look as attractive to the bank as he could!

Steven
s3gunner is offline   Reply With Quote