Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Owner/Operator

Interior & Exterior Step Rugs

I need to draw upon the wisdom of this Forum.

Have a 8289 Rockwood, and want to install rugs on the steps leading up to the bedroom, and also on the outside entry steps.

Both are going to involve putting a rug around the curved front edge of the steps. I'm thinking that the standard outside step rugs would not fit very well on the curved front edge. And the "step huggers" for the inside are 23-1/2" wide, but the main portion of the middle step is only 20" wide.

Thought of buying some sort of runner and cutting it to fit, but fear it will unravel on the edges.

Has anyone else found a solution to rugs on the steps?

I know that the outside steps have the "no skid" strips, but the dumb dogs don't know to use that portion of the steps (miniature piebald Dachshunds).

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post

Have a 8289 Rockwood, and want to install rugs on the steps leading up to the bedroom, and also on the outside entry steps.

Both are going to involve putting a rug around the curved front edge of the steps. I'm thinking that the standard outside step rugs would not fit very well on the curved front edge. And the "step huggers" for the inside are 23-1/2" wide, but the main portion of the middle step is only 20" wide.

Thought of buying some sort of runner and cutting it to fit, but fear it will unravel on the edges.

I know that the outside steps have the "no skid" strips, but the dumb dogs don't know to use that portion of the steps (miniature piebald Dachshunds).

RodeoGeorge
Rodeo,
I don't have any pictures of my interior steps, but Wiscampin does. See if you can look at his album and see his inside steps. I copied his lead and went to CW and purchased "runners" that cover the majority of the interior step, not all, but enough for the dog to have confidence and me to have piece of mind the dog won't ruin the bare wood. As for the outside steps, I just purchased the items from CW and they seem to be working well. Hope this helps.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

For our outside steps, we bought a whole box of discontinued outdoor carpet tile @ Lowes for $14 and cleaned the steps with acetone and just centered and laid a tile on them and trimmed them later. Held up for 5 yrs on our 08 Flagstaff and is holding up on our 12 Flagstaff so far. For the inside steps, we bought a rubber backed runner @ Walmart and used 2" wide Velcro in 3 places to hold it in place. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outdoor Carpet Tile.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	27680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outdoor Carpet Tile on Steps.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	27681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubber back runner cut and Velco'd down.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	27682  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
For our outside steps, we bought a whole box of discontinued outdoor carpet tile @ Lowes for $14 and cleaned the steps with acetone and just centered and laid a tile on them and trimmed them later. Held up for 5 yrs on out 08 Flagstaff and is holding up on our 12 Flagstaff so far. For the inside steps, we bought a rubber backed runner @ Walmart and used 2" wide Velcro in 3 places to hold it in place. Works great.

That looks good OC. I think when the exterior cheap wrap around carpet wears out, I will do the same thing.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

Costco has some heavy black floor rugs with a very grabby rubber backing. I believe they are 2 feet by 4 feet. We used them for the inside steps, as the rubber keeps them from moving around, and they don't unravel or fray on the cut edges. I didn't want to glue anything to the steps, or do anything else that would mark the finish.
Those steps down from the bedroom are very slippery, and that is one of the first additions we made to the camper.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

I did take a torch and melted the edges to keep them from unraveling on both the inside and outside steps. So far, it has worked.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #7

Here's the rugs BombDoc was talking about. Didn't want our Weimeraner to scratch the steps but wanted to see some of the wood. Got them at Camping World. They have velcro strip to keep them from slipping. They're 23.5" wide and come in different colors and depths, 6", 8", 10" priced accordingly. Link:
Decorian 10 Inch Step Hugger Landing Rug - Butter Pecan - Prest-o-fit Inc 5-3092 - Step Rugs - Camping World

Name:	28.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	27689
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post

RodeoGeorge
For outside steps I have 3 indoor outdoor wrap arounds. Held on with springs, They have served my dogs well. I now have a deck that is enough to eliminate the outside steps altogether. As for the inside. Call a carpet supplier and have the take measurements. They can cut a piece to fit and you can do the install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dan's 67 Nova 007.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	27692  
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

OC, I see that Central Vacuum plate on the step riser. We wouldn't leave home without ours.

Thanks for the info.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Owner/Operator

Well, picked up a rubber backed rug to cut up for the steps at WM.

Struck out on Outdoor Carpet Tiles at both Lowes and Home Depot. at least Lowes had some samples to evaluate colors. Home depot didn't even have that. Lowes stated they do not carry them in the store, but can order.

I think it might be time to google remnants on line and see what I can find.

RodeoGeorge