Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #1

Interior lights. One switch for all?

Hello.
We recently purchased a RockWood 2504S. I have a question about the interior lights, and how they are SUPPOSED to turn on.

We have a switch on our control panel labeled "Interior Lights" When I turn this on, it only turns on the one light that is under the kitchen counter. (Under the control panel).

All the other lights, we have to push the button on each and every light. The Interior Lights switch does not have any affect on these other lights.

Is that the way it is supposed to be? I would like to see the Interior Light switch power on all lights at once, as long as each individual light is in the "on" position.

The reason I ask, when we did our walk-through when we purchased this camper, the technician had troubles with the lights and ran a new wire to the Control panel. I wonder now if he wired it correctly.

Thank you,
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

My MicroLite 21 DS is wired this way also. It seems stupid to have both switches only 2 feet apart but I just leave the panel switch on and control the light over the sink with the switch on the light fixture. I found that various lights throughout the trailer are on different fuses and have labeled each fuse as to what is actually on that circuit. Coming back to the trailer in the dark, it seemed there should be a light switch within reach before climbing in, so I added a courtesy light and switch on the side of the kitchen cabinet within reach while standing on the ground outside the trailer.
2015 Flagstaff 21DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

Not to hi jack this thread.... ok, I will, on our 2018 Sunseeker 2400W there is a dual light switch in the back, by the bed. One switch controls the “bedroom” lights, the other......wait for it.......controls the footwell light at the entrance, which is right behind the passenger seat..... say what????
Old 08-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #4

My control panel interior light switch controls both the light you mention and all the main cabin lights. Each can be turned off at the light. Separate light switches for bathroom and bedroom lights.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmkaz View Post
Not to hi jack this thread.... ok, I will, on our 2018 Sunseeker 2400W there is a dual light switch in the back, by the bed. One switch controls the “bedroom” lights, the other......wait for it.......controls the footwell light at the entrance, which is right behind the passenger seat..... say what????
Yes, I did not add this detail that you just brought up. While sitting in the Murphy bed, there is a switch that controls 2 lights (bedroom lights).
I do not know of another switch you speak of. A Footwell light by the doorway? Where might this switch be located?
Old 08-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 Flagstaff 21DS View Post
My MicroLite 21 DS is wired this way also. It seems stupid to have both switches only 2 feet apart but I just leave the panel switch on and control the light over the sink with the switch on the light fixture. I found that various lights throughout the trailer are on different fuses and have labeled each fuse as to what is actually on that circuit. Coming back to the trailer in the dark, it seemed there should be a light switch within reach before climbing in, so I added a courtesy light and switch on the side of the kitchen cabinet within reach while standing on the ground outside the trailer.
Hum? Funny yours is wired like mine and others in this thread are wired as I believe they should be. Main control panel Interior Light switch should control all lights if desired (not counting bathroom and bunk beds of course)
Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo8 View Post
My control panel interior light switch controls both the light you mention and all the main cabin lights. Each can be turned off at the light. Separate light switches for bathroom and bedroom lights.
Yes this is the way I would assume they should work! Thanks
Old 08-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

And i have a separate on/off switch on the slide overhead light that is not controlled by the main cabin interior lights switch.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Hello.
We recently purchased a RockWood 2504S. I have a question about the interior lights, and how they are SUPPOSED to turn on.

We have a switch on our control panel labeled "Interior Lights" When I turn this on, it only turns on the one light that is under the kitchen counter. (Under the control panel).
Our switch on the control panel operates all lights that have been "pushed on". If the individual puck is clicked off, then the main switch will not turn it on. The exception is the dining light, that is a switch on the light to turn on and off. The two lights over the bed also have a separate switch by the USB charging station which allows you to turn those off without getting out of bed.Your wiring sounds backward to me.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
Our switch on the control panel operates all lights that have been "pushed on". If the individual puck is clicked off, then the main switch will not turn it on. The exception is the dining light, that is a switch on the light to turn on and off. The two lights over the bed also have a separate switch by the USB charging station which allows you to turn those off without getting out of bed.Your wiring sounds backward to me.
Yes sir! I agree! Thanks for the info.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #11

I have a 2016 Rockwood 2703WS. I have the same switch the OP described. It controls these two hanging fixtures only. The only other light with a wall switch is the bathroom light. That switch also has to be on for the bathroom fan to work. I’d love to have more wall switches but I’m not the electrical rewiring type.

PS I guess my trailer must have been lying on its side when I took the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEDDB68C-5300-4A23-8715-1A04E702DDF9.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	211556  
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #12

My interior lights in main part are on one switch, but each light has an off switch to only use what light you want.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #13

On our 2016, 2504s the only light controlled buy the panel switch is the one over the sink area. The rest are individual push buttons except for the bathroom and the lights over the bed. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #14

Control switch turns on any of 6-8 lights in the main cabin area (Kit/Dining) that are pushed ON; 3 over Murphy bed pushed individually; RR has seperate switch but those must be in the pushed ON position... My pushed ON meaning the green center of the fixture.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, switch