Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Intermittent pump operation

When my 8280ws was in for service, I had the dealer check out the water pump for a cycling issue every 15 minutes or so. I had thought the check valve was back flowing in the pump. This was to be covered by the FR extended warranty. What was found was a leak in the worst place possible, under the floor by the stairs. They had to remove the steps and furnace to replace 20 ft of water lines going to the low point drain. I never saw a single drop of water indicating a leak underneath the trailer. I'm guessing the amount was less than what would accumulate and run off the bottom cover. The dealer said that FR typically would not cover the leak under extended warranty. They did convince them to cover the cost by showing them is was a problem with the build.
This is another example of how choosing the right dealer is so important when buying.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Right you are about good dealers. Can you share who your dealer is? Also, what year is your 8280? My 8280 is a 2014 and I believe the furnace is in the kitchen not under the stairs. I'll check it out. Maybe the big return vent is in the kitchen and the furnace is in the same place as yours.

I had a leak in my fresh water tank that would drain out the bottom of the under covering of the RV through the vent. First time dealer sealed the crack--but it did not hold (said mine was the first to not hold up). Took it back and they ordered a new tank and now no leak. It took two trips to the dealer but at least it was under the extended warranty.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
Right you are about good dealers. Can you share who your dealer is? Also, what year is your 8280? My 8280 is a 2014 and I believe the furnace is in the kitchen not under the stairs. I'll check it out. Maybe the big return vent is in the kitchen and the furnace is in the same place as yours.

I had a leak in my fresh water tank that would drain out the bottom of the under covering of the RV through the vent. First time dealer sealed the crack--but it did not hold (said mine was the first to not hold up). Took it back and they ordered a new tank and now no leak. It took two trips to the dealer but at least it was under the extended warranty.
The water line was leaking in between the two points. The steps and furnace had to be removed to make the replacement possible. The dealer is Vicars in Taylor MI. Small family dealer that keeps it personal.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Here's the story behind the leak:
The leak was created by FR placing a couple dozen staples into 20ft of water supply lines on the right side of the trailer. The staples are used as part of a box that runs front to back. Oddly, there wasn't any leaking around the staples for a year and a half. After the dealer exposed the lines, they said it was quite an impressive Bellagio type of show when they pressurized the system. Forest River picked up the tab. The dealer did a great job with the repair and left everything looking as good as ever. Lesson learned, when your water pump cycles and you can't figure out why, have someone else look.

Tags
pump