Old 09-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
We started in a tent with DH, myself and son. We loved it and had a blast, but then son grew up and left. DH purchased me a small, used popup for Christmas and we took that thing everywhere. Had DD#1 (yes, after son was nearly grown) and the popup was too much setup and takedown, so we bought a hybrid. For 2 years, it was perfect, then DD#2 arrived and my parents decided they couldn't let the girls go away for a week or more without them. Hybrid got too small, so next was a 35 ft quad-bunk TT. It was great, but then DH and I both retired and started doing camp hosting during the summers, so we were FULL TIMING in it from May until Labor Day. The quad-bunk was great for sleeping, but for not much else. There was about 16" of space between the bunks, so there was no playing or any of that in the girls bedroom.

Now we have a Wildcat 32QBBS with a front bunkroom and back queen master. It is so much more comfortable and FEELS bigger even though it's a foot shorter than our TT.

So, in short is definitely worth it to trade if you can be more comfortable. Make sure you know what you need before you start looking.

merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #22
Our first was a class c motorhome. We used it for three years and got tired of having to brake down and set up the camp site every time we wanted to go someplace. We didn't want a toad, the class c would have had a hard time with that. Next we bought a 2 yr old 5er and thought "this is it. Two slides, 1 living area and one bedroom. After a couple of trips with the grandkids on the sleeper sofa we knew something had to change. It was a rear entry and the sleeper blocked the door so when the dogs needed out we had to crawl over the sleeper. Stayed with that first 5er close to five years. We now have our 2nd 5er and so far love it. Triple slide, center entry and plenty of room. Bought it new in December 2013 and so far no plans on selling or trading.

2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #23
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Holy moly ... that is an "upgrade" from a 26 footer to a 34 footer.
We sold our 26' Sunline and went to a 28' Rockwood 2604WS. I wanted to stay under 30' because we do so much of our camping in state parks and federal and state WMAs. But it's just the two of us so the 2604WS is big enough to feel roomy inside, but I can still squeeze it into smaller spaces at older parks.
You need sleeping for 4 children?
Not as much a change as it sounds. When I say 26' I am saying box camper length is 29'

Have mother-in-law with us all the time and she doesn't feel comfortable with the cave feeling of the full over full bunks so the 4 twin bunks is the only good option. Also, want the privacy of being able to close a door to the bunks. Have several children and grand children that will be with us at times; we want to camp without someone sleeping in the living area.
CollinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #24
We started with our 3rd or 4th trailer... as they say. DW had a couple other trailers in her previous life... So I was at an advantage. The only thing I wish for was more outside storage and 2 a/c units...I can fix one.

Yes. It has been worth it for us/me...and we haven't camped much yet.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #25
Reminds me of a movie.... I am a movie freak. The original Longest Yard...Burt R. asked the old man helping him after an "injury"... if when he hit the boss/captain/straw boss and got 25 years added... Was it worth it...the old man said"for me it was"...

I love movies
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:49 PM   #26
If you get the right unit it will be worth it. Make a lists of you like and dislikes regarding your current tt, and shop from there. It took us a while to finally decide on our Windjammer, but we are very happy with the purchase. We couldn't decide on bunk beds for the grand kids, we opted against them and they could care less. We purchased the tt to fit our needs, and hopefully anyone who travels with us will make due. Just my $0.02 worth

Chuck "still in Va "
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #27
Site Team
Just going from a trailer with no slides to one that does have them makes a huge difference.

We had a slide-out on our second pop-up and it was night and day between that and our first one that didnít.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #28
Our last TT was 24 feet with just a sofa slide. Seems like one person would have to sit down for the other to pass, ask the other for a drink from the fridge. Always tripping over the cat. That TT lasted four seasons. New TT is a Rockwood 2703WS triple slide. We just returned from a rainy campout where we had eight adults sitting around inside comfortably. I recommend the opposing slides, and rear entertainment floorplan. It makes for better TV viewing when there is inclement weather. The 2703WS is light enough to pull with a half-ton safely.

Ford f-150 5.0 3.55 supercab
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #29
I think I've read somewhere around here that you don't ever find "the right one" until your 3rd camper.

We went from tent ~> Pop-up ~> Hybrid ~> TT

Each step up was an improvement from the previous, we didn't have a slide out until the current TT.

My suggesiton would be to decide what you don't like about your current trailer, and make sure you're rectifying those items with a new one, without creating new dislikes.

I upgraded each time because I found myself dreading the next camping trip. If the current camper is preventing you from enjoying your time camping, then you're not going to camp, but you're still going to have to make that monthly payment, but now you're paying for something that you're not using.

Is it worth it to double the payment? That's a personal decision. For me, if it meant that I would use it more, and look forward to, and be excited about getting out in to the woods...then yes, it would be worth every penny.
Craig & Lynn D'Angelo

cdangel0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Was it worth it to me, yes it gave me a bathroom a shower and a microwave with a popcorn button....
Under the same conditions would I do it again, yes!
I love the popcorn button! It's like the rinse only button on the dishwasher.

2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote