Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Is the OP asking for help with a lift kit or just wanting to know where to put a jack to jack it up? Or has the thread been hijacked?
I asked where to jack up my 5th wheel. The lift kit came into play because it was asked if it was safe to jack up both wheels to install it and if it was safe how. From there it got hijacked.

My main concern is where it is safe to jack the trailer if something happened when away from home. At home I drive one wheel up on blocks and raise the other. Don't have that many blocks with me when on the road.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #22

Sorry I never got back here and posted a Pic. Never got the pic taken. Went out to take one and took a bad fall. Just got home a few days ago from the Hospital/Rehab facility. Wont be able to get a pic for a few more weeks. Sorry.
Blucruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #23

Will a trailer aid plus do you any good. I keep one in the TT if the occasion arises
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #24

Where to Jack

Very interesting point and I'm glad I purchased a new 8 ton bottle jack as it looks like floor jacks on rollers are useless on Torflex.

I regularly go to a place the higher lift kit is needed and will list another I can't go to.

Franks Restaurant on US77 at I10 in Schulenburg, Texas gets you coming and going. The food and service is to good to pass up.

Dairy Queen back exit from the store on Texas 36 in Caldwell, Texas will also get even most SUV's with a receiver, muck less a trailer with overhang.

Sometimes you get trapped and there is only one way out. This will be a must for me to even purchase the trailer in the first place.
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:45 AM   #25

Trailer Aide Plus

X2 on the Trailer Aide Plus. No jack needed and it works on soft or un-level surfaces. Be sure to get the "plus" model. That little bit of extra height makes all the difference
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #26

I've not had to jack yet but I think I would use OC's method shown on the previous page.

If you're using a wedge-type jack (which means you have to have your TV hooked up too) you are putting twice the load on one tire than under normal conditions (for one thing, almost certainly way over the tire's load rating). I would worry about what that's going to do to the long-term integrity of the tire/wheel/suspension. Not as bad as running with a flat but not ideal either.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #27

OC has the answer

Safest for the rig is what the original poster wanted to know. OldCoot has the answer and pictures to show it.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #28

Oldtool2, I'm just about ready to buy a 3008W as well and have an incline on my driveway. It's not real steep, but now I'm a little worried that I'll be dragging when I try to back it in. How steep is your drive?
RVnewbieGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnewbieGA View Post
Oldtool2, I'm just about ready to buy a 3008W as well and have an incline on my driveway. It's not real steep, but now I'm a little worried that I'll be dragging when I try to back it in. How steep is your drive?
My yard is flat so have no problems. Backyard was fenced in for my dog so I put large gates on both sides. When I come home I open both gates and drive in one side, thru the back yard and out the other gate to where I park the 5er. My biggest problem was I had to remove a couple of big branches from two of my trees.

sorry but I can't help you. Maybe ssome one else if you start a new thread? I would title it "steep drive entry" and post a photo if you can.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cat, location, rockwood, wheel