Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #1

Jack location on Rockwood ultra-lite 5th wheel

I was on the telephone yesterday with a forest River technician to find out the tank sizes on my trailer. Afterwards I got to thinking about jacking the trailer up. I've seen a dozen different ways suggested here by different people in different threads. There was no time like the present ask somebody that should know so I asked him where the safest place was to Jack up the trailer is. He said do not jack on the axle! If you do there's a good chance you will damage the axle. He suggested I jack up on the frame as close to the wheel as I can get, and only raise one wheel at a time. He said I should be able to get just the one wheel up in the air high enough to change a tire, check bearings or to check brakes. He said don't jacket any higher than you have to, 1 to 2 inches off the ground should be enough to do anything you need to do.

Any thoughts or comments?

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

I don't have a 5th wheel, have a Windjammer but I'm about to install a Dexter Axle lift kit on it and the instructions say to jack the trailer up and get all wheels off the ground at least 3 inches and install the kit on one side of each axle at a time (first the curb side of the front axle then the driver's side of the front axle, etc.). Sounds like maybe FR doesn't recommend doing this? Maybe I should give them a call.

strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
I don't have a 5th wheel, have a Windjammer but I'm about to install a Dexter Axle lift kit on it and the instructions say to jack the trailer up and get all wheels off the ground at least 3 inches and install the kit on one side of each axle at a time (first the curb side of the front axle then the driver's side of the front axle, etc.). Sounds like maybe FR doesn't recommend doing this? Maybe I should give them a call.
Before I installed lift kit I would definitely give them a call. Question for you, why are you installing a lift kit?

The phone number for forest River just in case you don't have it is 574 – 389 – 4600. Hit zero for the operator and then request to speak to tech support. They should be able to help you.

Jim
Old 06-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Before I installed lift kit I would definitely give them a call. Question for you, why are you installing a lift kit?

The phone number for forest River just in case you don't have it is 574 – 389 – 4600. Hit zero for the operator and then request to speak to tech support. They should be able to help you.

Jim
Thanks for the number.

I have an incline at the start of my driveway and if I back straight in or pull straight out the rear stabilizer jacks drag on my driveway. To get out or in my driveway I need to back in or out on an angle. I'm hoping the lift kit will give me enough lift to be able to back/pull straight in or out of my driveway.

The lift kit will give me 2 5/8" of lift and I can unhook my WD spring bars before I try to go in or out of the driveway and get another 1" or so clearance on the back of the trailer.

Of course I'll have to go thru the whole set up of the WD hitch again after I add the lift kit.

I'd originally thought I'd just put some casters on the rear end of the frame but FR said they wouldn't recommend that and it would void the warranty on the frame, so if it got damaged from having the casters on it, they wouldn't do anything about it. I cancelled that idea and the lift kit is pretty much my only option.

BTW, anybody reading this that may want to install a lift kit, FR sells it for $325, I bought one locally from a Dexter Axle dealer for $122.95.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
Thanks for the number.

I have an incline at the start of my driveway and if I back straight in or pull straight out the rear stabilizer jacks drag on my driveway. To get out or in my driveway I need to back in or out on an angle. I'm hoping the lift kit will give me enough lift to be able to back/pull straight in or out of my driveway.

The lift kit will give me 2 5/8" of lift and I can unhook my WD spring bars before I try to go in or out of the driveway and get another 1" or so clearance on the back of the trailer.

Of course I'll have to go thru the whole set up of the WD hitch again after I add the lift kit.

I'd originally thought I'd just put some casters on the rear end of the frame but FR said they wouldn't recommend that and it would void the warranty on the frame, so if it got damaged from having the casters on it, they wouldn't do anything about it. I cancelled that idea and the lift kit is pretty much my only option.

BTW, anybody reading this that may want to install a lift kit, FR sells it for $325, I bought one locally from a Dexter Axle dealer for $122.95.
Here is something to think about. Add a set of ramps at the bottom of your driveway. Had a cousin that got a sports car that bottomed out at the bottom of his driveway. He put a pair of 2X12's at the bottom, drove on them and never had a problem again.

Jim
Old 06-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Here is something to think about. Add a set of ramps at the bottom of your driveway. Had a cousin that got a sports car that bottomed out at the bottom of his driveway. He put a pair of 2X12's at the bottom, drove on them and never had a problem again.

Jim
I've considered this and may still do it if the lift kit doesn't work to stop the dragging completely.

The tires are still a few feet, maybe 3 or 4, from the driveway when the jack drags so it would have to be a fairly long ramp which may make it pretty heavy. I'd thought about taking some 2X10's or 2X8's 4 or 5 feet long and stacking them to see how many I'd need to make it work.

With the lift kit and removing the spring bars, it's the equivalent of 2 pieces of 2X10 material, so maybe if the lift kit isn't enough I can get by with one piece of 2X10 just to get the wheels started up the driveway and eliminate the dragging. That would work for me, 3 stacked pieces may be too heavy to deal with.

Plus the lift kit may also prevent dragging somewhere else, never know.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #7

We have a (3008) also and have traveled Many 1000s of miles and have NOT needed a (Lift Kit)! Youroo!!
Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We have a (3008) also and have traveled Many 1000s of miles and have NOT needed a (Lift Kit)! Youroo!!
I guess my driveway is special!!!!
Old 06-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

Because of the rubber torsion axle you have to lift on the metal tab in front of and behind the axle mounting framework and behind the tire. There is enough room for a small floor jack or a taller bottle jack. You will only be able to lift one tire at a time unless you have 2 jacks. Hopes this helps.
Gary
Old 06-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucruz View Post
Because of the rubber torsion axle you have to lift on the metal tab in front of and behind the axle mounting framework and behind the tire. There is enough room for a small floor jack or a taller bottle jack. You will only be able to lift one tire at a time unless you have 2 jacks. Hopes this helps.
Gary
So you do not agree with what the FR tech said to do? He said to jack on the frame as close to the tire as possible? As I said earlier I have read a half different methods. Just trying to find the correct place.

Please don't take this wrong, just trying to find out what is correct. I am half tempted to call them again and hope for a different tech and see what he suggests.

Jim

Tags
5th wheel, cat, location, rockwood, wheel