Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Just back from the RV show and ...

We currently own a 1995 Sunline TT. My wife has decided we need a bit more interior space so off we go to the RV show where she falls in love with the 2604WS. The chairs and the wardrobe slide were major factors.
I'm a retired mechanic so my interests lean more to the tech aspects of a trailer purchase: quality, fit, finish, reliability of plumbing and electrical, towing characteristics, etc. Also warranty service and construction issues.
I tow with a Tundra 5.7L w/ tow package.
I'm very much interested in hearing from other Rockwood owners, esp. those who own a 2604WS concerning their experiences.
I've been spoiled by the quality of my Sunline and its towing manners (zero sway w/ just a WD hitch), so I don't want to spend money and buy problems.
All help and comments appreciated,
Teach
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #2

We just purchased a 2604ws and absolutely love it. Fit and finish is superb. I have not found anything that needs fixing so far. The inside is very roomy, and the arch roof really makes it feel open. The bedroom feels much bigger than our old unit with the wardrobe slide. We ordered the emerald pkg with all the options, I really like the bonded windows and the slam latches on the storage doors.

I toured the rockwood factory and I was very impressed with the workmanship and QC. The final inspection is so elaborate I dont see how any flaws make it out of the factory.

Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions. We love our rockwood.

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I'd love to have more replies from any owner of a Rockwood TT, not just the 2604WS.
I'm also interested in info on towing and handling characteristics.

Teach
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #4

I have a 2009 8306SS Rockwood Signature Ultra Light and have not had any issues with it. The only negative I have is the black tank seems like it doesn't drain all the way no matter what I try. Quality of workmanship is average. Not crazy about the Concertone DVD/radio but i don't seem to have issues like some did.
We went to the boat and RV show this weekend also and did not really see any new ones from any manufacturer we liked better than what we have.
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

I believe that there is an almost new 2604 currently for sale under the "Classified" tab above offered by Capt Mike, that might be worth considering.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ale-32978.html

I know that you'll enjoy your Rockwood TT, we really like our's and were impressed by the workmanship, especially after touring the factor.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Thanks for the response. I'd love to have more replies from any owner of a Rockwood TT, not just the 2604WS.
I'm also interested in info on towing and handling characteristics.

Teach
I personaly know the trailer that Capt. Mike has for sale is a NICE unit. You didnt say where you live but (Drive a little Save a LOT). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I personaly know the trailer that Capt. Mike has for sale is a NICE unit. You didnt say where you live but (Drive a little Save a LOT). Youroo!!
We are in Richmond, Virginia. That is almost what we are looking to get. Penny wants the fixed dinette for storage. We can't consider buying one until we explore the sofa more hands on. I'm a snorer and Penny is a light sleeper. She also is an early riser and likes her morning "me" time. She will need to sleep on the sofa as she does in our Sunline.
From what I have gathered so far, Rockwood makes a good product (and this is reflected in the price). I just wanted to be more educated about the trailer before I began an earnest pursuit to acquire one.
Keep the comments coming, please.

Thanks,
Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #8

we have a 2907ss. Just completed a 2700km 3 week trip and tows great behind a 2013 Chevy Colorado. Long trailer at over 33 feet so gets a bit of side wind, especially when we struck 150km/h but other wise a great tow and enjoyable experience. Only problem is 100ah is not enough battery and we need some solar. Installling 600w solar and 300ah battery over the next couple of weeks before the next adventure. Happy Days
Chris Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

Thumbs up From one Sunline owner to another.

Hi there

Do you not love your Sunline or what? Too bad they went out of business. They made a really nice light weight travel trailer. We own a 1993 26ft. love it!

However, we are looking to downsize just a tad, and at the RV show wandered into a couple of Rockwood's and liked them. Especially the 2109S Mini Lite.

So, if it is okay to add to your querie on Rockwood's Teach, if anyone owns the model above and can share some info would appreciate it.

Ruthie & Billy
ShakyPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyPancake View Post
Hi there

Do you not love your Sunline or what? Too bad they went out of business. They made a really nice light weight travel trailer. We own a 1993 26ft. love it!

However, we are looking to downsize just a tad, and at the RV show wandered into a couple of Rockwood's and liked them. Especially the 2109S Mini Lite.

So, if it is okay to add to your querie on Rockwood's Teach, if anyone owns the model above and can share some info would appreciate it.

Ruthie & Billy
We just picked up our 2013 2109s this morning and even though we haven't had it out camping yet, I can tell you it's built solid, tows easy, has plenty of storage space and enough options to keep us comfortable and happy for a long time. Our first trip isn't until Memorial Day weekend so now we sit and wait.
aeh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #11

aeh8

They are a nice trailer the rockwood 2109S. However, the way it is advertised is deceiving. It says it sleeps 4. No way, we went and saw one at a dealership. When you open up the jacknife sofa there is a a foot or more of dead space from back of cushion to wall. No way could two people sleep on this. Then we looked at a another rockwood that had a ushape dinette. When breaking that down to sleep, the cushions are not all the same thickness and the bed is not flat enough to sleep comfortably.

What a disappointment the trailer show in Worcester was today. Glad we had free passes. We are holding onto our Sunline for another season.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #12

You're right about the sleeping 4. But lucky for us, our kids are out of the house so this camper was bought with just 2 of us in mind.
aeh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #13

aeh8

They just don't make trailers like they used. There is nothing better in our opinion then the Sunline. But they do not make them anymore. The fit and finish on some of the newer trailers is horrible! Will keep our 20 year old Sunline at least another season, its in great condition! We were just looking to downsize a little, but there are no new trailers that give us a good feeling. The show today had very little to even look at, and a lot of them were very cheap looking. The Rockwood was the only trailer that came close to our liking, and then there was sofa issue. My sis in law and her husband stay with us on occasion, and there is no way they could sleep on that sofa opened up. Makes no sense even the design.

Good luck with yours - It is a nice enough trailer for two.

note: another thing we did not like about the 2109S underneath is exposed and does not protect the tanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
They just don't make trailers like they used to. There is nothing better in our opinion then the Sunline.... The Rockwood was the only trailer that came close to our liking, ...
You're preaching to the choir here. Penny and I are moving from our Sunline to a Rockwood to gain more space for extended trips, otherwise we'd be keeping our 1995 Sunliine.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #15

awellis3

You bought the rockwood to gain more space? In our opinion no trailer utilized space better than our Sunlines. They gave you storage in places that we would discover after having the trailer for a while, lol.

What a bummer Sunline closed down.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #16

Quote:
You bought the rockwood to gain more space? In our opinion no trailer utilized space better than our Sunlines. They gave you storage in places that we would discover after having the trailer for a while, lol.

What a bummer Sunline closed down.
They were so great they went out of business? That sucks.

I agree. Rockwood gave us the best storage/open concept. Our 2304S feels huge inside for such a small trailer, the Murphy bed is perfect. We love it. I like that rockwoods seem to be thought out. Not just taking poorly thought out, awkward leftover space, and calling it storage. We thought we would lose out on a lot of storage with the Murphy bed, but the under couch storage helps out a ton, same with the dinette storage.
Wpgrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
Site Team

*They* might be counting a couple of pre-schoolers in their count of "sleep 4" statement.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #18

Wpgrv

Our Sunline is 20 years old. Everything is original and still works.

Yes they are that good because nothing broke, and their service dept. went out of business. A big part of a company is the service dept.

The rockwood murphy bed did not impress us. The metal on either side of wardrobe that bed was held up by looked a tad dangerous to us. Get up in the middle of the night easy to hurt yourself.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #19

We have a 2013 Ultra lite 2703SS and we love it. The 2 slide outs in the back create a nice living room and there's lots of storage. We used it several times last year and intend to set a new record for camping this year.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2703SS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #20

Quote:
You bought the rockwood to gain more space?
Penny teaches and practices Yoga. She needed more floor space, so a slide was necessary. The small wardrobe slide in the bedroom, with three drawers and a storage bin under the bed added more storage. We chose the fixed dinette to add two more storage areas, one being outside/inside accessible.
Considering the separate seating areas (chairs, sofa, dinette), walk-through bath that has a two-door linen closet, all the above-counter cabinets, cabinets over the sofa and dinette, that's a lot of space in a 29' box.

Wright
p.s. The Sunline will be available in May.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS