Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #11

Husky Centerline WD sway hitch here.

No complaints.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #12

I have the same truck in a 2008 and a 2010 2604SS, both loaded. The truck weighs 6100 lbs loaded for camping. The 2604SS weighs 6200 lbs loaded for camping. These are actual weighs on a local CAT scale. I use the 10,000 lbs Equalizer 4 point hitch. The truck pulls the TT great on level roads, I forget it is back there. I do know it is there in headwinds and on hills. I have no sway and very little affect from big trucks. I run in 3 rd gear (automatic) 60 to 65 mph with Tow/Haul on. I have towed this rig 8,000 miles with no problems. I have not towed in the "BIG" mountains so I don't know how it will handle there. But I will find out in July when we go to Canada. We like the 2604SS pretty well, just me, wife and idiot yorkie.
Hope this helps.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #13

I am happy with my Equal-i-zer hitch. Make sure that you do not purchase the lower quality Equalizer hitch (E2). I also would go with the 1000 K model which has worked well for me.

There is a certain amount of "moan and groan" that the hitch will make when new, related to the anti-sway bars rubbing on turns. This can be reduced significantly by the use of a heavy duty lube at the points were the metal rubs together and also purchasing the special Equal-i-zer pads. Both of these should be available at your dealer or online.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Site Team

I also tow in 3rd gear- automatic.
Even after all these years I am undecided on the tow-haul
mode or not.
Sometimes I think it causes the tranny to down shift to 2nd
too soon.
If I'm cruising along at 65 mph and come to a slight hill
I don't want the tranny suddenly dropping down to 2nd.
If it does the tack zooms way up and the engine is
screaming. I'd rather just loose a couple mph than down
shift at every overpass so I often driven with tow-haul off.
It seems to shift less with it off.

If I'm in heavy traffic and trying to "keep up with the flow"
I might turn tow-haul on and then shut it off once
we get on the interstate.
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #15

[QUOTE=KyDan;79482]I also tow in 3rd gear- automatic.

Sometimes I think it causes the tranny to down shift to 2nd
too soon.
If I'm cruising along at 65 mph and come to a slight hill
I don't want the tranny suddenly dropping down to 2nd.
If it does the tack zooms way up and the engine is
screaming. I'd rather just loose a couple mph than down
shift at every overpass so I often driven with tow-haul off.
It seems to shift less with it off.

I only notice mine downshifting like you mention when using cruise control. Something we didn't have a problem with in the semi's I drove using cruise control.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #16

Thanks to everybody who has replyed to my thread.
When towing my old camper(2004 Coyote 23 cms) I would turn on the tow-haul. What I'm reading there is times when you should turn it on and times to turn it off. My Coyote was alot lighter to tow. 3650 lbs dry weigh. The Rockwood 2604 I will be getting in March will be alot heavier. When I pick it up in Ohio then to home in PA. I will be on mostly flat land for the first half of the trip. Then some hills. Any comments on when to or not to press the tow-haul button on or off?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #17

I run in 3 rd gear with tow/haul on all the time. The only time my truck down shifts to 2 nd gear to soon is if I am using cruise control. I try to watch and if I see a hill up ahead I turn cruise off. But sometimes I forget and yea the next thing I know the tach is above 4500 rpms and the engine is screaming. I try to let my speed drop to 50 before I down shift to second. Try it out on the way home and see what works best for you. That's what I did when I picked up the TT in Elkhart. I found out real quick that Drive was not the best gear for my truck.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #18

I do the same as most, run in 3rd with tow/haul on. I had bought a used truck a few years ago and we just had a PUP, we upgraded to the FS 26RLS (think it is very similar to yours). While on a long trip at Thanksgiving, after getting fuel and re-entering the highway, the check engine light came on. When we got to our destination I purchased a code reader. The code was a transmission component slip. I cleared the code and had no problems/ indications on the way home (350 miles). The tranny was on it's way out. I just had it rebuilt and added a transmission temp gauge. If you don't have one, talk to a shop and get one put in. Wow, it's makes all the difference in the world. You can see what is happening and if you're working the transmission to hard. If you see the temp start to rise you can let it cool down and maybe try a different driving technique to help keep the temp down. On our last trip after rebuilding the tranny, I decided not to buy a new truck (I really love this one and I don't drive it much) for quite a while. Good luck with your new TT!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #19

Thanks kbrown1075. You brought up something I've been worring about and that is over heating the tranny. My 2007 Chevy 1500 has a multi display on the dash. If I press the button it brings up the tranny temp. So I watched the tranny temp on one of my trips. The highest the temp got to was 208 degrees. What worries me is I don't know what temp would the tranny need to get to before I need to take action. ( slow down, pull off as soon I can and let the tranny cool, ect.) Maybe I should contact my Chevy dealer and ask them?
If anybody out there has experance with tranny over heating or its limits. I would like to hear from you.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper764 View Post
Thanks kbrown1075. You brought up something I've been worring about and that is over heating the tranny. My 2007 Chevy 1500 has a multi display on the dash. If I press the button it brings up the tranny temp. So I watched the tranny temp on one of my trips. The highest the temp got to was 208 degrees. What worries me is I don't know what temp would the tranny need to get to before I need to take action. ( slow down, pull off as soon I can and let the tranny cool, ect.) Maybe I should contact my Chevy dealer and ask them?
If anybody out there has experance with tranny over heating or its limits. I would like to hear from you.

There was a recent thread on the subject. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hart-3427.html

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags