Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave1441 Send a message via Skype™ to dave1441
Smile Just Picked Up New Rockwood!

Hi All:

We just got our new Rockwood and already have a shakedown trip planned for this coming weekend at a local state park. After this weekend we have plans to make a 2 week trip down to Florida from Long Island and back. Reservations have been made at 8 RV parks. Most are for a overnight stop, and a few we will stay 2 or 3 days at to visit with friends in Florida.

This will be our first big trip; any suggestions will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave & Phyll in Hauppauge New York...

2000 Dog named Chewy
dave1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #2

Congrats on your new trailer!!

a few suggestions

1: Get your trailer tires balanced if they aren't already. Most don't come balanced from the factory. Balancing only cost a few dollars per wheel but it will help with tire wear and also help in keeping stuff where it belongs inside from bouncing around.

2: Buy an extra spare tire for the trailer. That's a long trip you are planning. Blow outs happen. I've had my share. An extra spare doesn't cost as much as the piece of mind it brings.

3: Same subject as tires. Make sure you check both the recommended air pressure in the tires (mine were 15lbs low from the dealer) and make sure you check the torque on the lug nuts.

My 2 cents.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to dave1441 Send a message via Skype™ to dave1441
Ok aintgotnun:

Thanks for your quick response and suggestions.

I see you have a dog too. Our guy is a 85 dog pound recuse Husky / Goden Retriver / Chow mix. He is about 7-8 years old but a big mush. We are planning to include him on our trips too.

Any suggestions on camping with dogs would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Dave & Phyll in Hauppauge NY...
2000 Dog named Chewy
dave1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #4

Our pooch is an 8lb lap dog. She's easy to take camping. I don't have and have never camped with a large dog. The only suggestion I can give is make sure you have up-to-date shot records and tags. Some state parks will not let you in without them. Other than that I'll leave the big dog suggestions to others.

greg
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

Set it up in the driveway and spend as much time as possible in it. Open/close, open/close everything over and over. "Play" camp, especially with the kids and you will realize things you still need or still don't know. My grandson and I spent a whole Saturday watching movies and eating popcorn and discovered a lot we didn't know.

gammiesquiltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #6

Congrats on your new Rockwood!! AND WELCOME to the forum!! Yes, that is an EXCELLENT idea setting up to play camp in your yard- Hook up water and electric- Are the hoses and power wires long enough? Set up the stabilizers and check for rocking- I installed stick-on levelers on the side and rear. A leveling block set is a "must-have", depending on campsite terrain, of course. The new owner's kit they provide has a very questionable sewer hose to use... Wal mart camping/RV dept. has MUCH better stuff, just to name a place. Wheel chocks, or better yet a between the wheels brake to keep things in place. These are just a few ideas I thought of after remembering what they supplied. Good luck with your new Rockwood, and above all- HAPPY CAMPING!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Smart move playing camp in the driveway. It definitely gives you time to check everything out and if you forget something, go inside the house and get it. Walmart is the first place we look for when we go camping. It seems like we always go there for something needed. Congrats on the new Rockwood. Enjoy it and be safe!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

congrats on your new purchase,, nothing more exciting than the ride to go and pick it up and to see it on the lot with your name on it...hope that you have alot of fun and make alot of great memories...

Tags
rockwood