Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Just right for two, 2304KS

Rather than drag up an old thread starting new one.

Its our third trip in this Rockwood Minilite 2304KS and everything works just fine, just the right size for two of us and a smallish dog and is pulled easily in the NC mts, with a mid size Chevy truck--Colorado with towing package, just what we hoped for. Love the Murphy bed and slide out kitchen after early years with a bit smaller trailer and a gaucho LOL. Travel trailers certainly have evolved.

On this last trip we had a number of people who stopped and asked for a tour, expressing interest in this size especially for two people. All were surprised at the feeling of space with the kitchen slider, the decent size bathroom and shower, the Murphy bed being so adaptable and the amount of storage which was one reason we decided on this particular model.

Years ago we had two slightly smaller travel trailers and traveled from Cape Breton in Nova Scotia to Taos and Santa Fe NM and a number of trips in between. We survived gauchos, small almost usable bathrooms and tight kitchens and when we started to look this time, we just were blown away with the concept of a Murphy bed in a smallish trailer--and light enough to be pulled by a mid size Chevy--we pulled the smaller with a Chevy Silverado.

Just thought for people in a situation like us, 2 plus a dog, it was good to mention how well the smaller size trailer works. We plan a longer trip this Fall and are now sure this was the right choice for us.
Picnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #2

We were asked about our 2506s MiniLite several times when we traveled from Louisiana to Niagara Falls over a 19 day cross country trip. Many people were kinda jealous of the small size yet ample space available in the MiniLites. We travel with our 16 year old daughter, but those days will be coming to an end when she starts college in a couple of years. We keep telling her that we're converting the dinette into a couch -and she asks where will she sleep then? We tell her that she'll be too busy in school while we're traveling up and down the coasts and across the country to Ak! 😂😂😂
60 days camped in 2016; 19 day trip to Niagara Falls
9 days camped in 2017
GeauxCajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #3

hidee ho

Great post; for a lot of us a smaller trailer works just fine. We love our Surveyor 220 25' trailer and don't feel the need for anything larger. It works for us and tows great. Happy Camping!!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Agree! It seems the bigger the rigs, the bigger the problems reported here. We have had many requests for tours of our 2011 Rockwood MiniLite etc, and everyone is blown away with the amount of space we have and how quickly the dinette converts into that wonderful extra large queen Murphy bed. We had looked at Casitas and other small trailers because we didn't want to buy a truck to pull the trailer, but when we saw the Rockwood MiniLite etc, there was no more looking. I don't think FR has improved on this model much in five years. Having the couch and table arrangement instead of a four seat dinette seems to be about the only thing different, though making the bed is most likely easier in the newer models. I added three shelves with lips to retail small items on the end of the wardrobe beneath the entertainment center, and that has made a huge difference storage-wise for such things as sunscreen, bug spray, CDs, etc.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

We can never make up our minds.....or couldn't.

We went back and forth between MH and TT for many years.

(all but once made money on resale)

We finally got tired of the MH noise, clunkiness, backing with a toad, and the feeling that a huge bucket of cash was sitting out in the yard most of the year. Also, a breakdown in booger county means full stop.

We have a nice "couples" TT now that we love. The money was put into a TV with all the creature comforts (MH with similar comforts was waaaaaay beyond our budget), and this beautiful TT was only $20K new.

The TV is also my daily driver and short haul truck.

.....of course, when we hit Powerball......
Old 08-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
Now Camping Year-Round!!

access to the washroom with slides closed?

So wondering if when the slides are closed, can you comfortably access the washroom? We've been in one of these units, but of course the slide was out and we didn't think at the time to measure access.

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

We have the very similar Rockwood 2504s and yes we can access the bathroom, fridge, and pretty much everything else with the slide in. Just can't lower the murphy bed. And we love the camper.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #8

We started with TTs back in the early 1970s. Then there was no such thing as a slide and 28' was big. Spent many nights over thousands of miles in those TTs with two daughters and a dog. Now just the 2 of us and 2 small dogs. Comfort over many nights and many miles meant the need for a small 35' 5th wheel with 3 slides towed by an F350 Lariat Ultimate ~ diesel powered. Nothing wrong with smaller or larger units ~~ depends on the comfort level required. If health problems develop we may go back to a Class A of about the same size. At times we wish to watch different TV programs or one stays up while the other naps or goes to bed early, especially important when spending months as a snowbird.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBcamping View Post
So wondering if when the slides are closed, can you comfortably access the washroom? We've been in one of these units, but of course the slide was out and we didn't think at the time to measure access.
your concern was a major issue when we were were looking, and not having bathroom access while traveling would have been a deal breaker,.... we bought the Micro Lite 25KS which has not only a very large bathroom for a tt, but the rear door is access to the bath,.... and we look at the 25KS as an ideal couples trailer and have done mods with that in mind, not trying to accommodate guest passengers that don't exist.........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #10

We have that model and love it for the same reasons. Just the 2 of us + 2 small dogs.
We have also been asked for toures.
We did have a leak in the vanity cabinet on our maiden voyage. The hot water feed was not tightened to the faucet. An annoyance, but not terminal.
It tows perfectly behind our Nissan Pathfinder. Even better than our previous hybrid did.
I've done some mods to make it better for us. A hinged shelf behind the couch that drops away for the bed. A hinged head board. Both eliminate wide the gaps superbly.
Replaced the tiny, shallow, medicine cabinet with a full width X 30 " high X 5" deep that is actually lighter than the original.Replaced all the drawers with Longer and better constructed drawers. I replaced the tip out with a full width 7" deep, 26" instead of 17" in the night stands, added a 10 " deep drawer in the blank space next to the cook top.
Shelves over the window valences. Especially practical in the bathroom for kleanex combs etc. Plus a few more little things.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
We have that model and love it for the same reasons. Just the 2 of us + 2 small dogs.
We did have a leak in the vanity cabinet on our maiden voyage. The hot water feed was not tightened to the faucet. An annoyance, but not terminal.
It tows perfectly behind our Nissan Pathfinder. Even better than our previous hybrid did.
I've done some mods to make it better for us. A hinged shelf behind the couch that drops away for the bed. A hinged head board. Both eliminate wide the gaps superbly.
Replaced the tiny, shallow, medicine cabinet with a full width X 30 " high X 5" deep that is actually lighter than the original.Replaced all the drawers with Longer and better constructed drawers. I replaced the tip out with a full width 7" deep, 26" instead of 17" in the night stands, added a 10 " deep drawer in the blank space next to the cook top.
Shelves over the window valences. Especially practical in the bathroom for kleanex combs etc. Plus a few more little things.
Your mods sound good! Any chance you are able to post pics?

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Sounds like you have really been busy making it YOURS. Good job!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

We have the Flagstaff floor plan like yours. We love our camper. It is the perfect size for my husband and I and of course, the dog. Hope you have many years of fun times ahead!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #14

We bought our first TT this year for our 45th wedding anniversary: a 2011 Rockwood Mini Lite, model 2304. It's the same as yours without the slide. It's perfect for the two of us and our 10 lb. Watchdog. Love the Murphy bed and the large bathroom. We pull it easily with our Toyota Tacoma, dinette down, bikes inside. What fun we are having! The smaller size is perfect for us. Would not want anything larger
JHurtgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #15

Also looking for a murphy bed TT

Thanks, Picnic for your post. We looked at that model, along with a few more murphy bed TT's. It was between yours and the 2304DS or the Flagstaff twin 23fbds. I am in love with this trailer and can't wait to order one! We do have to sell our HTT first though. We cannot for the life of us find any in stock anywhere to look at. It just so happened that a dealer we visited just got one in that somone ordered so they let us look at it. Man is it huge inside with the double slides! We are spoiled with our 23ikss Hybrid Roo with double slides, so it's hard not having that space. The bathroom is much better also.

I do have a question for you though. What do you do if one of you want to go to bed and the other wants to sit on the couch and watch a little TV or read? This is my husbands only concern. How comfortable is the U dinette to sit and watch tv on? And if you have tried to sleep on it, how is it? Also, how effecient are the reading lights (if there are any) over/near the bed. We use our a lot that are over out sofa in our HTT.

Thanks, I really enjoyed your post! I'm chomping at the bit to find one of these to look at, so I can choose interior colors! What did you get? Maple or the darker wood?

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 AM   #16

X2 Capnjohn . we are are the same I am a night owl & my wife goes to bed early.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
What do you do if one of you want to go to bed and the other wants to sit on the couch and watch a little TV or read? This is my husbands only concern. How comfortable is the U dinette to sit and watch tv on?
The original curtain at the foot of the Murphy Bed doesn't do a very good job of blocking light from the rest of the room, ... we replaced that with "room darkening" curtains from WM, ....... my wife sewed them together to make one long unit and and also sewed on the band at the top that slides in the channel, ..... I bought a new strip of that band and left the original curtain in tac, so that if we ever change tt, we'll keep the one she made and the original will be reinstalled,..... works great for napping on the sofa also, pull it across and very private,

we replaced the 24" tv with a 32",...... DW sits under the tv and with a mirror in the foot of the MB, my wife can keep up with whats on tv, if there's something that really interest her she will go to the sofa to continue watching,...... I also ran an audio wire for headphones over to my side so that I can listen to the tv without disturbing her if she is sleeping or even during the day it prevents the tv volume from being a bother in the rest of the trailer, .... I've actually got an audio wire all the way to the sofa, with small speakers there we can still hear the tv without it having to be loud enough for the neighbors to hear,..... things like that is what I mean about tweaking our trailer and making it comfortable just for the two of us,.......

up-sized tv, 24 to 32", post #1 ------ http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...2-a-96861.html

Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #18

I would like to post some photos of my mods to our 2304KS But I Can't Figure OUT HOW?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #19

Quote:
I would like to post some photos of my mods to our 2304KS But I Can't Figure OUT HOW?

below the message window you'll see "go advanced", click that and you will get more options across the top and a larger window...... when you are ready to insert the photos, click the "paper clip" icon, then you'll have the option to choose the photos, .......after choosing your photos, click "upload",...... when the upload is finished you can see the links(not the photos themselves) to the photos a few lines below the message window,.... when you see those, then you know everything is finished and ready to submit,

Old 08-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #20

I followed your instructions, but I don't see any sign of the photos?

Tags