Old 07-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

kingpin stabilizers or JT strongarm stabilizers?

Which is better? Also see a cheaper form of the JT's on plugitright.com. Do these mount easy with the rockwood sig ultra lites seeing how the bottom is all enclosed? Let me know what you think.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #2

While we don't have a 5th wheel, our Rockwood Ultra-lite wiggled quite a bit at the back. Rather then spending the money on a set of Stailizing bars I spent $45.00 at Home depot for 3each 4' pieces of pre-drilled galvinized angle bar stock, and 4 each 4" strap hinges. I used 2 of the 4' section across the back of the trl with hinges bolted to each end of each bar. One hinge bolted to the bottom of the rear jack and the other hinge bolted where the other jack bolted to the body. Using right sized bolts to secure the 2 bars together. Once the jack is lowered I rebolt the 2 bars together. The 3rd 4' piece I cut in 2, did the same thing but used it for a front to rear brace.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

I have the JT Strong arms on my 8280SS 5th wheel. The dealer installed them for me and they attached without problem. They work good and when properly adjusted the trailer doesn't move. I also have the BAL scissor clamp that goes between the tandem wheels to stop wheel jounce.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Plug It Right

There is no problem mounting the plugitright version on your Rockwood. The enclosed bottom is not problem for installation. Diana

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayze View Post
Which is better? Also see a cheaper form of the JT's on plugitright.com. Do these mount easy with the rockwood sig ultra lites seeing how the bottom is all enclosed? Let me know what you think.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Automatic Leveling System, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html
Dutch & Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #5

Or try this!

Before you splash out your $$$$$$$$ try this:

Wobble fix for 5ers zero cost!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #6

King pin stabilizers are not intended to eliminate side to side wobble. They are intended to stabilize the over hang for bouncing up and down. One point of contact on the pin still allows a lot of side to side wobble. I always chock my wheels to stop rolling forwards and backwards motion with BAL wheel chocks. The rear of my 5er has telescopic jacks which when down oppose each other eliminating side to side wobble in rear. Rarely do I have to extend my landing gear out over half way. I won't park it on a hill side or substantially un-level site. I always use a piece of 2"x12"x 24" plank under the feet to stabilize the ground under the running gear.

Even this newer Ultra Light is pretty stable for side to side wobble. I think the thin weak flooring is more concern to me.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #7

I tried the brother's kingpin stabilizer last week and it took a fair amount of the wobble out (what you feel when laying in bed on the overhang when people are walking around), I would guess about 70%-80%. I'll try the zero cost wobble fix that was posted and see how that works. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #8

Well the front is good - no side to side movement but the rear now is the culprit. Those motorized rear jacks are just too flimsy. If you watch the jack while someone pushes the rear of the trailer side to side there is a lot of flexing and movement. Anyone figured out a way to stabilize these? I'm wondering if the scizzor style jacks are better?