Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #1

Kitchen/living Room Circuit Breaker

I have the Rockwood 8329SS with 30amp power and when I have the Vornado heater plugged in under the TV and run the Keurig coffee maker, the circuit breaker keeps turning the power off in the kitchen and living room. The Keurig is plugged into the kitchen GFI plug to the right of the sink counter. Any suggestions to prevent this from happening or is this typical from running to high wattage items?

lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Done with this

I'd say typical. Both are drawing a lot of amps.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:50 AM   #3
Site Team

you're running more than 30 amps.
Keurig alone uses a lot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
I'd say typical. Both are drawing a lot of amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you're running more than 30 amps.
Keurig alone uses a lot.

X3

Appliances that make heat use many amps as 4mula1fan and bikendan stated. You can look at the manufacturing plate/tag on the bottom/side of these items and it will tell how many amps they use.

You can also use wattage to figure it out too. Watts = amps X volts or another way to figure it is watts divided by volts = amps.

Say you have a typical small Vornado that can use anywhere from 750 watts on low setting, to 1500 watts on high. This is 750 watts = 6.25 amps X 120 volts on low, to 1500 watts = 12.5 amps X 120 volts on high.

or 750 watts/120 volts = 6.25 amps and 1500 watts/120 volts = 12.5 amps.... as taken from Vornados specifications in the link below:

High Heat Watts 1500 Low Heat Watts 750
High Heat Amps 12.5
Low Heat Amps 6.25
High Heat Temperature 120
Low Heat Temperature 98
Hertz 60HZ Volts 120V

VH200 Heater

Now, the Keurig coffee maker. This is posted in their support page about how much power they use:

K-Cup Brewers Page - Keurig

Keurig home brewers use the most power during their initial startup. When heating for the first time after being off, peak usage is 1,500 watts. If the power is kept on, the brewer will keep the internal tank up to temperature using between 200 Ė 400 watts when heating. While idle and not maintaining heat, the brewer will use the average electricity of a 60 watt light bulb.

So if the coffee maker is using 1500 watts or 12.5 amps, and the Vornado is using 6.25 amps on low or 12.5 amps on high...... then just these two appliances will need between 18.75 (12.5 + 6.25) amps to 25 (12.5 +12.5) amps.

Very easy to see why they would trip a 15 amp circuit breaker that usually is what the outlets in a RV are on..... and this doesn't include any other items on that same circuit (like maybe the television)

Anyhow, you are most likely not going to be able to use both at the same time. Sorry

But all RV'ers should know how to figure wattage/amps to help in their understanding of what can be turned on (and thus what has to be turned off) at the same time.

Hope this helps in that aspect. Many RV'ers will look at the appliance tags (or figure the wattage/amps) and make a list. This way they can pretty well know what everything needs, and know what they can use at the same time. In a 30 amp RV, you are limited.

This link may also help:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

and this pdf is good to print out:

http://www.hrvc.com/console/files/Un...l%20System.pdf

Iíve lost my scapegoat.
I have nobody to blame but myself.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Anyhow, you are most likely not going to be able to use both at the same time. Sorry
If you are indeed on a 15 amp circuit that controls the outlets, the way I see this using the figures from above, is to turn off the Vornado while you make the coffee. Once the coffee is made then according to their website it uses 200-400 watts. (1.66 to 3.33 amps) to maintain heat.

Now say, after the coffee is made, we turn the Vornado back on:

If we use the 400 watt (3.33 amp) numbers of the coffee maker to maintain the heat, and add that to the high setting on the Vornado (12.5 amps) then you are still really high on the circuit capacity at 15.83 amps (3.33 + 12.5).... and this doesn't even account for anything else that may be running on that same circuit.

You might could just use the Vornado on the low setting (6.25 amps) if yours is equipped with such, and then you would only be 6.25 + 3.33 = 9.58 amps.

Just a suggestion, and as always with mine, feel free to hate it.

Iíve lost my scapegoat.
I have nobody to blame but myself.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejumper View Post
I have the Rockwood 8329SS with 30amp power and when I have the Vornado heater plugged in under the TV and run the Keurig coffee maker, the circuit breaker keeps turning the power off in the kitchen and living room. The Keurig is plugged into the kitchen GFI plug to the right of the sink counter. Any suggestions to prevent this from happening or is this typical from running to high wattage items?
We installed a 20A wall mount thru the side just for Heater use. Boat supply item,just use a HD ex cord to Ped of C/G! Youroo!! Marinco Inlet 20A P/N Mar-200bb1
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #7

Thank you to all for the quick responses!

Wmtire, I will bookmark the website links.

Youroo, great idea on the 20 amp plug!

lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, roo