Old 06-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #11

OldCoot,

Strange, we just happen to be in a Yogi camp just outside of Lindale, TX right now. This one seems to be a family run operation. Only reason we are here is that we have the grandkids (5 and 7) with us. We love this one. Of course we would not pay the extra money if we did not have the kids with us.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I rank KOA & Yogi Bear at just below the bottom of the barrel.
IMO, a bit unfair to clump all of them together. Been to a couple that I would agree with you are below bottom of barrell, but I've also been to others that are at or near the top of the list. Including a Yogi outside of South Haven, MI where we spent our vacation last week.

Just sayin. . .

ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
IMO, a bit unfair to clump all of them together. Been to a couple that I would agree with you are below bottom of barrell, but I've also been to others that are at or near the top of the list. Including a Yogi outside of South Haven, MI where we spent our vacation last week.

Just sayin. . .
Just stating our personal experiences since we started traveling extensively in 1973 all over the US of A. We only use them as a VERY last choice as we don't stay in Cracker Barrels or Walmart parking lots, etc. We only stay in campgrounds while on the road.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #14

Generally speaking, KOA’s are clean parks and well maintained. At many KOA’s the sites are too close together for my liking and every one I’ve been to was a bit pricier than other RV parks in the same area. There are exceptions of course.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #15

OldCoot,

All of our personal experiences are how and why we learn from each other. I do not really care for KOA either. But often when traveling we just need a place to plug in and I "might" use one in a pinch. I have seen enough of your posts to know I do value your opinion though. Now i may ultimately disagree but hey, that is what opinions are for right?

Keep on camping........
Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
OldCoot,

All of our personal experiences are how and why we learn from each other. I do not really care for KOA either. But often when traveling we just need a place to plug in and I "might" use one in a pinch. I have seen enough of your posts to know I do value your opinion though. Now i may ultimately disagree but hey, that is what opinions are for right?

Keep on camping........
You bet! Like I said, we only use them in desperation.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just stating our personal experiences since we started traveling extensively in 1973 all over the US of A. We only use them as a VERY last choice as we don't stay in Cracker Barrels or Walmart parking lots, etc. We only stay in campgrounds while on the road.
Not saying your perspective is invalid or inaccurate, but I (and many others based on how full the campground was last week) think there is some good camping to be done at KOAs and Jelly's IF:
1. you pick a good one (same rule applies to non-KOA/Jelly too), and
2. the style of camping fits your personal tastes.

Your opinion holds a lot of weight on this forum - would hate to see people write off KOA or Jelly w/o trying them.

Respectfully submitted.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
... would hate to see people write off KOA or Jelly w/o trying them. Respectfully submitted.
X2
Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Generally speaking, KOA’s are clean parks and well maintained. At many KOA’s the sites are too close together for my liking and every one I’ve been to was a bit pricier than other RV parks in the same area. There are exceptions of course.

My sentiments exactly! The closeness is what kills it for us. We want more than an arms reach between us and our neighbors.

And also, we can camp twice as long at our local Campgrounds ( just as nice ) for half the price of a KOA.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The thing I don't like about KOA's, is that if you have kids, the cost gets out of sight! The last one I even looked at, wanted $10 a night extra for each kid, on top of the already exaggerated price. We may travel with 4 kids, and to pay over $100 a night in the middle of BFE, is just insane.