Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

landing gear lube ??

(sorry should be lube)
I just discovered there are grease fittings (zerk fittings) on the landing gear (front jacks) of our 8280WS, inside the front compartment.

Does anyone know how often these should be greased and how much grease to put in there?

I found one was sealed over with paint but I got it freed up and I pumped about 4 or 5 pumps of grease into 3 of the zerks. The fourth is right behind the "manual crank" shaft (which I've never used and hope I never will) so I'm going to need to get a 90 deg. adapter for my grease gun.
cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #2

Why not just change the fitting, I'm sure that would be cheaper and you will not need to remember where you left the adapter last.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #3

yup, that's a good suggestion and one I thought of, but I don't have one of those 90s right now and besides I'll probably need the grease gun adapter for something else... can never have too many tools!!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

I didn't find enough clearance for a 90 or gun fitting to work. I figured I would have to do some disassembly to do the job. Maybe this spring when I can get to it.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

Humm, I'll have to take a closer look.
Did you happen to come across any recommended 'maintenance schedule' stating how often these things should be greased? I suspect some is better than none but I guess I could put too much in as well. I don't see any way of easily determining if there is enough grease, especially the lower grease fitting.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

I don't believe it to be a critical item given the minimal amount of use. I just know how things are missed at the factory and want to make sure they have been greased.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Once a camping season should be plenty. The nice thing about grease is that being captive it is long lasting as opposed to lubing surfaces.
jimdic is offline   Reply With Quote