Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

leaking sky light

I have a 2009 Rockwood 8313ss. The sky light in the bathroom has been leaking almost since I bought it. I have had it back to the dealer twice. They have replaced the inside and outside parts of the sky light and re-sealed all of the seams twice, but it keeps leaking. Has anyone experienced this, and more importantly does anyone have a guess of where the water is coming from?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #2

We too have a Rockwood 8313ss that had been leaking from what I thought was the skylite in the shower. We have had it to the dealer several times for re-caulking around the skylite. Well after about a year of back & forth to the dealer we had a pressurized seal test and the test found that it was leaking from the front of the camper and traveling the 31 feet to the skylite and leaking at that point. So they fixed all the seals on the unit at our expense because we were told that seals are not covered by our warrenty. Now the downside of the whole incident...It took about 10 months to find the real cause of the leak and now we have delamination on the side of the camper and it has to go back to the manufacturer to be replaced. However, that may not be such a bad thing because it has been about 1 month since the dealer "fixed" the seams and I still have water in the skylite. At this point it is scheduled to go to Indiana on April 23rd and that when we get the unit back it should be better than new. Here's for hoping...

Old 04-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #3

Well, that helps a lot! I thought I was going crazy thinking it had to be coming from somewhere other than the skylight. It also scares the daylights out of me. This past weekend I noticed what appears to be a bubble under the outside skin in the front left of the unit. May be the beginning of what you are experiencing.

I hate to ask a nozy question, but are the pending repairs coming out of your pocket, or are they covered?

I also think that water is getting into the sky light through the inside by moisture created when taking a shower. This past weekend I had it completely dry and sealed, but after my wife took a shower there was quite a bit of condensation on the under side of ther outside dome. I think the inside piece is letting moisture through.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #4

As far as condensation still getting into the skylite...We were told that we could have left over moisture in the ceiling still leaking into the skylite. Not neccessarily new water but left over water from before the seals were fixed.

We had to pay for the seals to be re-done at the dealer b/c we were told that seals are not covered under warranty. BUT the big work, the delamination repairs are being done under warranty. The fiberglass siding has a 2 yr. warranty. We were told the only cost from our pocket is to get the trailer to them about a 1200 mile trip. However, they will cover getting the unit back to us. I will update as we know more.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply, and good luck! You have inspired me to get on this before it is too late. I plan to keep the unit for a long time, so the time to get this taken care of is now.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #6

lori08360,

I thought of another question for you...did your leaking sky light appear to be leaking from the front of the sky light? Since you say that it was determined to be coming from the front of the unit, it seems logical that it would be leaking in the front. My leak is clearly toward the back of the sky light. Just trying to narrow it down. Also, did you find any leaks at any other point...like the vent in the front bedroom, A/C unit, antenna crank??? Thankfully the bathroom is my only problem right now.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of your leak issue.

I am taking delivery of my 8285WS on Tuesday but I am having the dealer reseal the trailer with Eterna Bond tape so I am hoping to avoid seem/seal leaks.

I read up on this stuff on the 'other' forum and it is marvellous stuff.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #8

Since reading your post I have researched Eterna Bond a little. May be just what I am looking for. You refer to reading about it on the "other" forum. I don't know what that is. Can you tell me how to find it?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #9

here is the link to the other forum. I do not know if the moderator will "ZAP" this:

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm

Just search on Eterna Bond. It is expensive.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #10

When it was leaking I would notice brown water stains in the back of the tub and the back wall of the tub enclosure especially on the inside corner of the tub (the corner further from the toilet). We always had water drops in the skylite itself. At one point we wondered if it wasn't leftover water condesation from the ceiling so my husband would take it apart & let it dry out but as soon as we put it back together and it rained the water drops would come back. Also we had no other water anywhere else in the unit and that is what probably took so long to have the problem actually diagnosed. Good luck in your water hunt!

Tags
rockwood