Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Grumpy Old Member

Leaks and bends

Hiya,

As I prep for my July vacation I figured I would tow back to the dealer and let him take care of a few items that have cropped up over the past month.

Found a little drip coming off one of the low point drains a couple of weeks ago. After I tightened the low point drain caps I was disappointed to discover that the dripping was persisting. Long story short, there is a leak on one of the tee's or in the vicinity of them above where the low point drains connect to the hot and cold lines. I can't get in alongside the hot water tank to have a close look so my dealer is going to get into this today.

The fix is going to more than likely involve the removal of the hot water tank so they can get to the pluming to see what's leaking and fix it up. One of the techs mentioned that hey had just had this problem on another Windjammer 3008w and the cause of the leak was a screw that was turned straight through the cold water line. I wished them luck and will check back with them today to see how it went.

On a more serious note, the tow down (about 40 miles from camp) was pleasant and uneventful BUT when I was unhitching at the dealer I noticed that the drivers side snap clip, part of my Reese DC WDH system was practically bent off my trailer frame.

The dealer replaced the bent hitch part and will troubleshoot this further when I come to hook up and take my TT.

Google searching about the bent piece pointed to a flurry of problems with this late last year. Has anyone had any difficulties like this here?

Anyway, now you're all up to date. Other than the above mentioned drip, the TT has been excellent.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
I just tow the TT for DW!

Keep us posted on the results while your Windjammer is at your dealer, Chris. I am particularly concerned about the leak and what your dealer determines to be the issue.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp k View Post
Keep us posted on the results while your Windjammer is at your dealer, Chris. I am particularly concerned about the leak and what your dealer determines to be the issue.
I'm all finished up and have the TT back on it's pad at the CG that I keep it at. The dealer did a great job handling both issues and I'm particularly pleased that they were neat and cared about how things looked after they were finished.

The water leak was caused by a construction staple that had been pushed through a plastic elbow in the hot water line just above the low point drains. Easy fix, difficult location to get to. And, I'm the second person with a WJ 3008w to have his problem.

The bent snap clip on the Reese DC WDH was another matter and still remains a bit of a mystery. The replaced both snap clips and we hitched up and re-adjusted the cam arm lengths (they were a little long due to my taking up another link on the chains).

I took the opportunity to check all the dimensions that the set-up procedure calls for and I think we're spot on. Towing back up north to the Pond confirmed that it tows just fine, and I arrived without any bent hitch products.

You know, it's a shame they spend so much time setting up a hitch system when you first pick up a new RV when in fact, as you add weight to it, the hitch appears to need tweaking to compensate. Any, I'm thinking that things are dialed in pretty tight now.

Time will tell.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
I just tow the TT for DW!

Sounds like you're in good shape now! Hope the bent snap clip was a "flukey" thing and not something you'll consistently experience with your setup. That is strange! Appreciate the report.

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote