Old 07-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #31

Why???? Iwritecode

Old 07-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #32

Leave mine out April - October every year. The dealers in my area leave their models open several weeks at a time. My camper's been in the same spot since 2012 with no issues.

We leave the fridge running over the week with ice in a baggie in the freeze to know if we lost power long enough to melt the ice thus making everything bad in the fridge/freezer.

AC set to 78 degrees. We are in shade all summer so internal temp does not get too bad.

Did not put slide covers on because of water/wind possibilities mentioned earlier.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #33

I used to leave mine out without thinking about it. Until I came back and my slide toppers had completely disintegrated from the weather.
Of course, I have since downsized to a 24RB that has no slides...moot point.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #34

Rotted Seals & Stuck Slide

I had an Alfa See'ya 5th wheel that sat in my driveway for 5 years used as guest quarters. Life happened and moisture got into the main room floor space between the slide and the chassis.

They rusted together.

When the time came to move the unit it became a major project to get them unstuck.

The slide seals also rotted from constant sun exposure and needed to be replaced.

If I had to do over again I would cycle the slides every couple weeks just to insure against stuck slide issue.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #35

Slides IN or OUT

I leave my out for the summer (seasonal camper) and never had a problem. Obviously when we take a week to travel they come in and out. I do spray lubricant on the tracks at least once during the summer.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkerl View Post
Witch Dr, curious about your reply to my suggestion, I have a Forest River Cardinal that has exposed slide rails on the big slide. I have RV slide supports I put on the exposed metal rails, not on the "gears" or I use a 4' x 4" on the top of the jack to spread the weight across a bigger area. I hand tighten the jacks and this adds good support on the slide. Why do you think there could be damage? Curious.. I am missing something, always willing to learn.
The main reason is that if you are not on concrete and the grounds sinks under your tires or stablizers jack you can put tremendous stress on that slide. I would and this just my opinion, the slides are built to stay out supported on there own. I don't know if you ever tried to open a slide when your not level, but all you hear is cracking and it jumping around. I would rather have the slide move with the trailer if only one side sunk and your jack didn't under the slide....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkerl View Post
Why???? Iwritecode
Just imagine if you ever get a flat tire. The trailer would sink down, the slide won't. Same thing can happen simply over time if you are on soft ground.

The slides are built to support their own weight. I've seen a least one owner's manual that specifically says to *not* use them. They simply aren't needed.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #38

Answers make sense

Thanks for the replies, things I had not thought about.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #39

Your more then welcome, CW and people like that say it's the cat meow and should be used they are wrong, and it's advertizing hype. Some people do believe in them. It'a decision that each owner has to make. Thanks for getting back.....:thumbsup. And most all safe to travels to you and yours.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #40

I think it depends on if you have a roll out canvas topper over the slide. If you do, it is subject to sun deterioration and therefore should be brought in.

Tags
slide