Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Let's beat tire load rating upgrades to death....

Bought a 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra lite 8289WS with 225-75R15 LR C factory tires. Had a friend convince me along with several forum posts to go to GY Endurance LR E. Bought them this weekend on a really good deal. Lionshead Bobcat wheels only have weight limit of 2150 lbs stamped on the back. I do not plan to go over my GVWR but wanted safer tires. I plan to adjust my tire pressure as I go along by using my TPMS system and the temps and air pressure changes on each tire. My current concern is will the Lions head Bobcat rims with upgraded metal/rubber valve stems handle up to 80 psi if I desire. I see lots of comments of thousands of miles with no problems so this sounds like they will handle it. Lionshead has not returned my email yet. Thanks to you experts out there.
Jokaamda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

OK... I'll start...

If you don't plan to go over your GVWR, why would you air up the tires to more pressure than what is recommended by the manufacturer to carry that load?

How will you determine exactly what 'that load' is?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

My unloaded weight is 8100 lbs and loaded( haven't been to a scale yet) will not go over 9100. Figuring 1500 to 1600 will be on the pin. So the load on each tire would be less than 1900 and each wheel is 2150 rated.

Since the tires and wheels are now mounted on the 5er I wanted your opinions of whether the rims will handle 80 psi or can I adjust the psi lower to say 70 to both soften the ride and to not overload the rims if that is even possible. I know lots of people feel the tire should be run at max cold tire pressure but will it damage the tire if I run 70? The Goodyear charts say it will handle 2150 at 50 psi as you guys already know.

I couldn't find an Endurance in LR D and the Maxxis I wanted to get LR D were 200 more than the deal I got on the Endurance.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Site Team

The wheels will handle 80 psi with no problem. But, since all you need to handle is 2150 lbs (or less) per tire, I'd recommend using the mfg. chart or a little above to begin with.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
llr

I agree with using the load inflation chart plus a little cushion since the odds of all for wheels having the same weight is almost zero.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

I have read that if you under inflate the tires you could damage them. So if I use the Goodyear chart and start at say 65 and move from there I should be fine?

That makes me feel better. I do not know how many total miles are on the tires but I have put about 2500 on since May and I already see side wall issues with the factory tires. I am glad I do not have them on for my 5000 mile spring trip.....
Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #7

I also upgraded my tires with the stock rims, but do go with 75psi as at least in my case I find the tracking of the 5er dramatically better with higher psi..
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #8

You may want to have the valve stems replaced with a heavy duty valve stem.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #9

I had the metal/rubber type valve stems good to 100 psi installed. I appreciate everyone's assistance. I don't want to prematurely wear the tires so I'll go a bit higher on the psi and adjust as necessary. I was looking at this chart.
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
Old 12-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
OK... I'll start...

If you don't plan to go over your GVWR, why would you air up the tires to more pressure than what is recommended by the manufacturer to carry that load?

How will you determine exactly what 'that load' is?
You air up the tires Cold to the max rated pressure. They will vary (increase) during the day, as they heat up. That is normal and taken into account by the manufacturer

It is not, correct to alter the pressure based on the actual weight. Some think this is being "easier" on the tires and that is actually incorrect.

You are actually stressing them more by deflating them.

Don't believe me? Go to a trusted reputable tire shop and ask them about this. They will tell you the same.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #11

If you're asking about the wheels, I believe all wheels have a stamped max pressure on each wheel. 80 PSI is typical, but you should be able to verify. I believe it's on the "inside" of the wheel...out of view for cosmetic reasons.

As for the actual tire pressures, there's no reason to run any pressure other than that recommended by the RV manufacturer on the data plate. My tires and wheels both have max pressure ratings of 80 PSI, but the rig calls for 50 PSI. The max pressure is the upper limit of the capacity of the tire or wheel, but the trailer only needs 50 PSI to handle the GVWR of the trailer. Swapping out to higher load-range tires does not change your trailer's GVWR, and if 50 PSI is good on a load-range C, it will be fine on a load-range E.

If you like to diddle with things, you MIGHT consider increasing pressure by 5 or 10 PSI if you plan to be putting in long stretches of interstate travel near the tires' max speed of 65 MPH. The higher pressure WILL cause uneven wear in the center of the tread from over-inflation, but the stiffer tire may run slightly cooler. On the other hand, the stiffer tire will shake the crap out of your rig when compared to a properly inflated tire. The stiffer sidewalls on a load-rage E tire will do the same by comparison to a load-range C. Tires are a key component of the suspension and absorbing impacts. Everything's a trade off, but the load-range E's should be a bit less likely to fail because they have a greater margin for weight bearing.

This parallels the situation on your tow vehicle tires. If you look at the sidewall, the tire will have a max pressure rating well in excess of the recommended pressure for the particular tow vehicle application.

As an aside...
If I'm off-roading (soft-roading) at low speeds over rough terrain for long distances (more than a mile or so), I'll often reduce my rig's tire pressure to 35 to 40 PSI to reduce the judder over washboard. At speeds of 15 to 25 MPH, the lower pressures do not create an overheating situation in the tires. (This is a common practice for serious Jeep off roading, and they drop to VERY low pressures because they have "locker" rims.)
I carry a good quality ViAir compressor with me, and when I hit the asphalt, I bring the tire pressures back up to spec for highway use.
Conversely, running high pressures (60 PSI or more) on this terrain shook my camper apart.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #12

Jim Moore. My wheels have the rated load max of 2150 but no max PSI anywhere on the wheel. I have contacted the manufacturer and waiting for a response. Most responses I get is the wheel can take 80 psi. The air pressure in the tires is a different story on recommendations.

Thank you for your explanation.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokaamda View Post
Jim Moore. My wheels have the rated load max of 2150 but no max PSI anywhere on the wheel. I have contacted the manufacturer and waiting for a response. Most responses I get is the wheel can take 80 psi. The air pressure in the tires is a different story on recommendations.

Yep... you'll get many opinions on this.

Me... I'm sticking with the manufacturers recommendation.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #14

This is why I bought a Motorhome. If I get a flat, I will have no chance of changing a tire. Done it a few times with a trailer and it's not fun, especially on the side of the highway. [emoji3]
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Max sidewall pressure. If you bought E air them up.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
X2. If it's a towable, use the max cold psi on the tire. Period, can't go wrong. For those that say it makes tire too stiff and destroys their RV from shock, I say it's either in your head, or you far exceeded the load rating needed.

For motorhomes and TVs, then use the tire manufactures psi based on actual load. Entirely different beast.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokaamda View Post

There are two different ways rims are certified. Load capacity and PSI capacity. Or just load capacity which means any PSI needed in the tires to carry that load capacity.

OEM providers will normally have the wheel/rim marked with the appropriate weight/PSI values. However, the regulations do not require the specs to be on them. When they are absent the only sure way to verify them is getting that information from the wheel/rim manufacturer. They are required to provide that info on request.

Tire load capacity reserves are very helpful in getting longer service life from your RV trailer tires.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #18

Thank you Airdale. I am waiting for a response from the wheel manufacturer. As I have read multiple posts regarding this issue I have learned quite a bit from posters and especially your responses. This is what makes this forum so special. I have been pulling or driving rv's for almost 35 years and still have questions and concerns. Thanks everyone for your willingness to contribute.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2. If it's a towable, use the max cold psi on the tire. Period, can't go wrong. For those that say it makes tire too stiff and destroys their RV from shock, I say it's either in your head, or you far exceeded the load rating needed.

For motorhomes and TVs, then use the tire manufactures psi based on actual load. Entirely different beast.
X3 & X2
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

The following excerpt is from chapter #4 page 43 of a USTMA document. Chapter #4 is all about RV tires.

"Inflation pressure recommendations may also be determined based on the tire manufacturer’s specifications, which define the amount of inflation pressure necessary to carry a given load. These inflation pressures may differ from those found on the vehicle tire placard or certification label."

"However, never use inflation pressure lower than specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on the tire sidewall."

https://www.ustires.org/sites/defaul...TruckTires.pdf

Tags
tire, upgrade