Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

License plate blown off

Like many trailers, our Rockwood has the license plate bracket molded into the plastic body of a taillight. Our first camper was set up the same way and one day we discovered that the plastic bracket had broken and the plate vanished on the highway.

A couple of weeks ago we were behind another trailer on the highway when we saw their license plate snap off and blow away. So, apparently, this happens to others, too.

Had anyone here had their license plate blow off a camper? I'm considering moving ours to a mount on the bumper instead, but that wouldn't be technically legal because it wouldn't be lighted.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #2

Well, if you don't travel at night, no one would know. I don't think I've towed at night in a very long time.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:20 AM   #3

I have worked in law enforcement in two states. The law regarding "improper display of plates" varies from state to state. Some would consider unlighted or not in the factory position as improper; some would not. Best bet would be to contact the state patrol/police in your state to check.
kdp1897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #4

In California the two issued plates have to be displayed on the front and rear.

One issued plate must be displayed on the rear, unless you are a semi, then it's on front.

The rear plate must be illuminated at night and the plate must be visible within 50'.

So, in the context of this conversation, if the plate is moved somewhere else than the tail light bracket it was originally mounted on then you need to run an indirect light to it (since the white light can't shine directly to the rear)

If you deviate from anything other than the law you run the risk of being pulled over...a lot, especially at night. Being pulled over does not mean you will get a ticket either. Most cops want to know if either you have warrants or you are drunk.

I say, skip the potential hassle and run a light to the new plate location. If not, get a new mount and leave it in the same spot.

2016 nights camped = 17
2017 nights camped = 4
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #5

I saw that the bracket was weak, so I mounted the plate with four long screws into the wall. Problem solved.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

Can't see it well in the picture but after my license tabs broke off (pulling off the winter cover) I bought a 1'x1' piece of galvanized sheet metal and cut it to fit under the trailer light. I drilled holes to mount the license with SS nut and bolts, and screwed the holder through the taillight housing. I think it looks clean and simple for less than $10. Also much stronger than the tabs on the light housing.
This mount will not break off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6130014 (1).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	145458  
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Had 2 of those broke and lost plate. Double sided tape and mount it under the light.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

Tiguan... That must be an Ontario fix. I did the same but with stainless. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chpusmc View Post
In California the two issued plates have to be displayed on the front and rear.

One issued plate must be displayed on the rear, unless you are a semi, then it's on front.

The rear plate must be illuminated at night and the plate must be visible within 50'.

So, in the context of this conversation, if the plate is moved somewhere else than the tail light bracket it was originally mounted on then you need to run an indirect light to it (since the white light can't shine directly to the rear)

If you deviate from anything other than the law you run the risk of being pulled over...a lot, especially at night. Being pulled over does not mean you will get a ticket either. Most cops want to know if either you have warrants or you are drunk.

I say, skip the potential hassle and run a light to the new plate location. If not, get a new mount and leave it in the same spot.
I understand what the law is regarding rear license plate illumination at night,but is that one little bulb really going to make the plate visible from 50'? Think about trying to read that plate at night with the trailer bouncing up and down and probably dirty from 50' while going down the highway. How about reading it at night when it's snowing or raining heavy.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
Can't see it well in the picture but after my license tabs broke off (pulling off the winter cover) I bought a 1'x1' piece of galvanized sheet metal and cut it to fit under the trailer light. I drilled holes to mount the license with SS nut and bolts, and screwed the holder through the taillight housing. I think it looks clean and simple for less than $10. Also much stronger than the tabs on the light housing.
This mount will not break off.
Just curious,but why blank out your plate number when it's there for everyone to see?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
Like many trailers, our Rockwood has the license plate bracket molded into the plastic body of a taillight. Our first camper was set up the same way and one day we discovered that the plastic bracket had broken and the plate vanished on the highway.

A couple of weeks ago we were behind another trailer on the highway when we saw their license plate snap off and blow away. So, apparently, this happens to others, too.

Had anyone here had their license plate blow off a camper? I'm considering moving ours to a mount on the bumper instead, but that wouldn't be technically legal because it wouldn't be lighted.
You can go to any auto parts store and buy you a license plate bracket with a built on light mount it on to your bumper, run the wires from your new bracket up to your old wires , secure them together where they cannot short out and your good to go. Plates are always on the left.
buffalobutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #12

NC troopers will read it when they stop you and will stop you for an equipment violation. Unless doing something else unlikely to receive a ticket but you will receive a to have it repaired and signed by a repair facility or inspection station.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
NC troopers will read it when they stop you and will stop you for an equipment violation. Unless doing something else unlikely to receive a ticket but you will receive a to have it repaired and signed by a repair facility or inspection station.
Sir, if your license plate bracket is correctly mounted on the left side of the bumper and properly luminated, what reason would an NC Trooper have to charge you with anything relating to your license plate? Thank you
buffalobutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn
Sir, if your license plate bracket is correctly mounted on the left side of the bumper and properly luminated, what reason would an NC Trooper have to charge you with anything relating to your license plate? Thank you

It is the "unless doing something else" part ~~ possibly speeding is what brought you to his attention as if sitting on the side of the road he could not see your plate. The equipment violation would be if NOT illuminated. The only time I have heard of NC trooper writing for an equipment violation is when writing the lessor of 2 violations.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Had 2 of those broke and lost plate. Double sided tape and mount it under the light.
Good idea.
The failure is probably caused by constant flexing of the plastic due to wind and turbulence. Putting some double sided tape on at the start would probably prevent them from breaking.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #16

Our previous camper had that happen, but I found it before it completely separated from the light.

My solution was to make two short aluminum tabs, screw them on to the inside of the light frame and stick down below, just as the plastic tabs had been. Then I bolted the plate to those tabs. It NEVER caused any troubles after that. and was perfectly legal everywhere
Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #17

Trailer MFG mount Plates on Both sides of Rear,or in the middle, so No Standard! I mounted ours on the Ladder,No light,we Don't travel at Night! We have Never Pulled a RV after doing a "Bank Job or 7-11" so I could care less about if They can see our Plate at 50' also if they are at 50'behind us they are "Too Close Anyway"! John Dillinger never pulled a Trailer,Good Thing,can you imagine pulling Him over and saying "License and Insurance Please"! Youroo!!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #18

I broke one of the tabs while doing some work this spring. I used thick CA and accelerant to glue it back on.

After coming across this thread I thought I'd better check the glue-up. I touched the plate and it broke again. I figured I'd better do it right. I had some 0.032" aluminum plate in the workshop to I cut a couple of strips 4" long and about 3/4" wide.

I took a bit of time to cut the stubs of the plastic tabs off.

After drilling the holes I bent them a bit like the plastic ones were - I figure it keeps the license plate from smacking the back of the trailer.

Here are the tabs installed with the plastic bolts inserted and the housing re-caulked.

Plate on...

And lens on.

The aluminum won't get brittle like the plastic did... I figure the repair should be good as long as the trailer is!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
...The aluminum won't get brittle like the plastic did... I figure the repair should be good as long as the trailer is!
Did the same except used 1/8" alum left over from awning brackets.