Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Light switch

I have purchased a 2017 Rockwood minilite 2109S and it has a switch for lights, but it doesn't control anything. Is there something I need to change so it operates the over head lights? First switch on left in the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191113_163741.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	219137  
__________________

michaelevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,070
Do the interior lights work using the individual switches on the fixtures?
Normally you need to have the main switch (one on the panel) on and the fixture switches on for the main lights to work. We leave the fixture switches on and use the main switch to control the lights.
__________________

__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
All the lights work using the switches on the lights themselves. However when they are on the main switch still doesn't have an affect on any of the lights.
michaelevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,070
Sounds like that switch got bypassed in the wiring. I'd pull the panel out and see if there are any wires hooked to it.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelevans View Post
I have purchased a 2017 Rockwood minilite 2109S and it has a switch for lights, but it doesn't control anything. Is there something I need to change so it operates the over head lights? First switch on left in the attached picture.
On my 2017 Mini Lite 2506S, the interior light switch on the panel only controls one fixture (right above the entry door). That light also has a button in the middle, so you have to leave it on for the panel switch to work. All the other lights are always on (controlled with the button in the middle of each light).
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by john221us View Post
On my 2017 Mini Lite 2506S, the interior light switch on the panel only controls one fixture (right above the entry door). That light also has a button in the middle, so you have to leave it on for the panel switch to work. All the other lights are always on (controlled with the button in the middle of each light).
X2, but different light:

On my 2016 Mini Lite 2503S, the control panel light switch sends power to the light over the U-dinette; need the local switch on the light to be on for the control panel switch to turn it on/off.

All other overhead lights are controlled with local switch on the light.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Member
 
DavidJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Cedar Rapids IA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by john221us View Post
On my 2017 Mini Lite 2506S, the interior light switch on the panel only controls one fixture (right above the entry door). That light also has a button in the middle, so you have to leave it on for the panel switch to work. All the other lights are always on (controlled with the button in the middle of each light).
Funny. On our Mini Lite 2504S the Interior light switch on the panel only controls one fixture too. The light closest to the switch. It shines down on the kitchen counter from the kitchen storage compartment.

We bought our 2017 used and just figured someone rewired it like this. But now reading these different posts, everyone seems to be different. Weird.
__________________
David & Cindy in Iowa
2017 RockWood 2504S travel trailer
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Funny. On our Mini Lite 2504S the Interior light switch on the panel only controls one fixture too. The light closest to the switch. It shines down on the kitchen counter from the kitchen storage compartment.

We bought our 2017 used and just figured someone rewired it like this. But now reading these different posts, everyone seems to be different. Weird.
Yes, the light controlled on ours is the one closest to the switch (over the entry door). I suppose it would have made more sense to control a more centrally located light, in order to light up more of the space. It really isn't that much harder to just reach up and push the button on the light, versus flipping the switch.
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 92
The interior switch on our 2104S only controls the light above the kitchen sink. We leave the switch on the light fixture in the on position and use the switch on the control panel to turn the light on and off.
__________________
How 'bout them Cowboys!
2015 Rockwood 2104S
2013 F150 4x4 EcoPuller
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Rochester MI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiecowboy View Post
The interior switch on our 2104S only controls the light above the kitchen sink. We leave the switch on the light fixture in the on position and use the switch on the control panel to turn the light on and off.
That's odd. They must take a few liberties with how they wire each individual unit. Our 2104S, the control panel switch operates the main space lights, but not the sink, dinette, or the 2 over the bed.
__________________
2019 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
2017 F150 3.5 EcoBoost 10 spd 4x4
SmittyCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #11
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 19,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyCorp View Post
That's odd. They must take a few liberties with how they wire each individual unit.
That's why there's no wiring diagrams available.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:20 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 792
Our 2504 is the same as DavidJ. One light above the kitchen counter. To the OP, turn on the switch, then turn on every light in the camper. Now turn the switch off and see if any lights go out. Please let us know what you find. Jay
__________________
2016 Rockwood 2504s.
TV: 2014 Silverado 1500 double cab.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Rehoboth Beach DE
Posts: 182
On my wildwood, that same switch operates the light just off the kitchen sink and nothing else. You must have it on and push the button on the light for it to work.
Mike
__________________
Mike Gray
Forest River Wildwood
2018 230BHXL
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
Member
 
DavidJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Cedar Rapids IA
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Our 2504 is the same as DavidJ. One light above the kitchen counter. To the OP, turn on the switch, then turn on every light in the camper. Now turn the switch off and see if any lights go out. Please let us know what you find. Jay
I always suspected something was "wrong". Because when we bought this camper 2 years old, the technician that did the walk through turned on the Interior switch on the control panel and said... "Hum? That's odd. Only light that is coming on is the one directly behind/below the switch panel. All lights came on earlier when I tested it."

So he removed the switch panel, removed the microwave, looked at the wiring and said that without removing the range, he could not do anything. I figured we could deal with it once we got home.

So I got on this forum, and everyone seems to have a different answer. I guess I will leave it the way it is. It's not much of a hassle to turn each light on separately, just mainly curious as to how it is supposed to be wired.
__________________
David & Cindy in Iowa
2017 RockWood 2504S travel trailer
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:18 AM   #15
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cool Pool, AB
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelevans View Post
All the lights work using the switches on the lights themselves. However when they are on the main switch still doesn't have an affect on any of the lights.

The switch on the panel should at least turn on the overhead lighting closest to that panel. Many RV's are wired this way.
__________________

__________________
K&L + the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2019 Dodge Ram 3500

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, switch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.


×