Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #21
padcarroll

I will use liquid from now on. I occasionally have to use a macerator pump at certain places we stay. I was using drop ins that are supposed to dissolve in water. The last time I used the pump I blew a fuse. This had never occurred before. I replaced the fuse and noticed the pump was real hot. I pulled the pump off and found it was clogged with plastic and there were undissolved packets left in the drain tee. I disassembled the pump and removed all the plastic wrapped around the impeller. I had one packet left so I dropped it in a bucket of water and the plastic did not dissolve in 3 days.
I will use liquid from now on.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcarroll View Post
I will use liquid from now on. I occasionally have to use a macerator pump at certain places we stay. I was using drop ins that are supposed to dissolve in water. The last time I used the pump I blew a fuse. This had never occurred before. I replaced the fuse and noticed the pump was real hot. I pulled the pump off and found it was clogged with plastic and there were undissolved packets left in the drain tee. I disassembled the pump and removed all the plastic wrapped around the impeller. I had one packet left so I dropped it in a bucket of water and the plastic did not dissolve in 3 days.

Wow, I never heard of that happening before but I believe you. Thank you for that post, I will stay away from drop ins.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #23
Back On The Go

Same as Ford Idaho; the Blue Stuff as we call it. 16 yr experience and tried many different ones. 5 minutes later: I lied. Just checked and it is Thedford Aqua Kem I think it's called. Really good stuff and you can get a larger container of it and refill your little 4 oz. ones to save money if you're into saving money like I am.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
Dalford, how do you like the Bluestreak system? I was looking into it as it looks interesting. What is making you thinking about going back?
I like the fact that it is automatic in that it puts in a small amount of chemical with each flush. It also has a small hint of a baby powder smell. I was concerned before I used it that the whole RV would have a baby powder smell but it doesn't, only in the bathroom.

I was using Odorlos and have used it for over 10 years but it just seemed like I was wasting a lot. I used the pouches and they would stick together in a humid environment (Florida). Also, would go for a short trip and would have to dump and add another whole pouch each time I flushed the tank. Plus it can be messy if you get the pouches you need to open.

I have had the system installed for a few months but am having a sewer smell in RV. I think my holding tank is bad and it is at the dealer right now for repair. Once that is done I can give a better review. I don't want to go back to pouches or measured liquids if I can.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #25

Geo method and odorlos. Works for me.
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcarroll View Post
I know for a fact Odorlos make a dissolvable pouch and a non-dissolvable pouch that has to be opened with a pair of scissors. Make sure you had the dissolvable pouch but since you went to liquid only it is a non-issue for you but a warning to other campers.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #27

I've used the blue streak system for 15 years. Love it! Completely automatic and the bowl water is blue.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #28

I been a Full time RVer for almost 20 years now, tried them all and for the last few years I have just added Dawn dish washing liquid to my black tank. I buy the 9oz. bottles, add 1/2 bottle after each dump and the other 1/2 when tank is about 1/2 full. Cost is bout a dollar a bottle and yet to have smell or problems. FWIW I always fill my tank and dump it out each time I dump to aid in cleaning out any debris.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #29

Liquid.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:34 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

We use the geo method. Works well.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #31

I haven't used anything but lots of water for many years. Some of those treatments stink worse than anything. We start out with about 5 gals of water and dump then flush real well every 4-5 days. Haven't had a problem with odor in a very long time..Saves $$$ and it's better for the environment.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #32
Senior Senior Member

I also use a macerator pump and had the plastic from the drop-ins get wrapped around the impeller/grinder and it was a quite a job getting it out.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #33

I know everyone has there own preferences but I think I'm going to stay away from the drop ins. I am interested in the Bluestreak System but honestly I hate the smell of baby powder. I didn't use it when my kids were babies and now that they're grown up and out I certainly don't want that smell(if is overwhelming) in my 5er'. Wish they would just make one product that works and X the rest. Lol.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #34

Like Gottoys, we use only water. Used to wonder why there was such a bad odor in the spring even though things were cleaned out in the fall. Found out it was the holding tank deodorizer causing the problem. Cleaned out with water and didn't put anything in the tank one fall and found in the spring there was no odor. That's when we tried not putting anything in at all. To our surprise it hasn't had an odor since. The only time you get any smell is when you flush with the overhead vent fan on, which, of course, will suck up any fumes from the toilet. With the fan off, no problem. We also use the Scott 1000 sheet tissue which is a lot cheaper and after 5 years hasn't caused a clog. The sheets dissolve and don't turn into paper mache' like some of the "made for your holding tank" papers do. If anything doesn't dissolve it just slides right out. Holding tank is clean and odor free. Haven't had any problem with the valves, either. They open and close very easily.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
I know everyone has there own preferences but I think I'm going to stay away from the drop ins. I am interested in the Bluestreak System but honestly I hate the smell of baby powder. I didn't use it when my kids were babies and now that they're grown up and out I certainly don't want that smell(if is overwhelming) in my 5er'. Wish they would just make one product that works and X the rest. Lol.
I had the same concern. I was worried my whole RV would smell like a clean baby's behind but it does not. I can hardly smell it in the bathroom. My wife has a super sensitive nose and also says it is a very light smell... FWIW

Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #36

Thetford Aquachem liquid for the last 45 years. Always works. Always has. Even when they eliminated the formaldehyde from the formula.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Dometic premium drop in is the best I have found. Cleans your toilet and dissolves everything in the tank.
TankTechs RX – 8oz | TankTechsRX
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #38

Everyone obviously has their preferred brand or method. I just wonder if they all work and we settle on the first we try or a packaging method we like.

Question, has anyone tried a product (not talking about 5 years ago but a current product) that was a dismal failure? What would you not recommend?

Old 09-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #39

We use the Blue Streak system and an occasional shot of Rid-X for RVs.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #40

Happy Camper all the way!!

I used this when we first got our camper because unknown to us...the previous owners left the tank full of poo over the winter!!! EEEWWWWW!! It worked like a charm, cleaned the sensors and no odor or left overs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	extreme happy camper.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	121342

since that happy escapade and knowing how well the extreme version worked, we started using this version of Happy Camper and our sensors work beautifully and are very happy with how it cleans. No smells, EVER.
Click image for larger version

Name:	happy camper.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	121344

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote