Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #21
padcarroll

I will use liquid from now on. I occasionally have to use a macerator pump at certain places we stay. I was using drop ins that are supposed to dissolve in water. The last time I used the pump I blew a fuse. This had never occurred before. I replaced the fuse and noticed the pump was real hot. I pulled the pump off and found it was clogged with plastic and there were undissolved packets left in the drain tee. I disassembled the pump and removed all the plastic wrapped around the impeller. I had one packet left so I dropped it in a bucket of water and the plastic did not dissolve in 3 days.
I will use liquid from now on.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 8 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcarroll View Post
I will use liquid from now on. I occasionally have to use a macerator pump at certain places we stay. I was using drop ins that are supposed to dissolve in water. The last time I used the pump I blew a fuse. This had never occurred before. I replaced the fuse and noticed the pump was real hot. I pulled the pump off and found it was clogged with plastic and there were undissolved packets left in the drain tee. I disassembled the pump and removed all the plastic wrapped around the impeller. I had one packet left so I dropped it in a bucket of water and the plastic did not dissolve in 3 days.

Wow, I never heard of that happening before but I believe you. Thank you for that post, I will stay away from drop ins.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #23
Back On The Go

Same as Ford Idaho; the Blue Stuff as we call it. 16 yr experience and tried many different ones. 5 minutes later: I lied. Just checked and it is Thedford Aqua Kem I think it's called. Really good stuff and you can get a larger container of it and refill your little 4 oz. ones to save money if you're into saving money like I am.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyrock1 View Post
Dalford, how do you like the Bluestreak system? I was looking into it as it looks interesting. What is making you thinking about going back?
I like the fact that it is automatic in that it puts in a small amount of chemical with each flush. It also has a small hint of a baby powder smell. I was concerned before I used it that the whole RV would have a baby powder smell but it doesn't, only in the bathroom.

I was using Odorlos and have used it for over 10 years but it just seemed like I was wasting a lot. I used the pouches and they would stick together in a humid environment (Florida). Also, would go for a short trip and would have to dump and add another whole pouch each time I flushed the tank. Plus it can be messy if you get the pouches you need to open.

I have had the system installed for a few months but am having a sewer smell in RV. I think my holding tank is bad and it is at the dealer right now for repair. Once that is done I can give a better review. I don't want to go back to pouches or measured liquids if I can.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #25

Geo method and odorlos. Works for me.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcarroll View Post
I know for a fact Odorlos make a dissolvable pouch and a non-dissolvable pouch that has to be opened with a pair of scissors. Make sure you had the dissolvable pouch but since you went to liquid only it is a non-issue for you but a warning to other campers.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #27

I've used the blue streak system for 15 years. Love it! Completely automatic and the bowl water is blue.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #28

I been a Full time RVer for almost 20 years now, tried them all and for the last few years I have just added Dawn dish washing liquid to my black tank. I buy the 9oz. bottles, add 1/2 bottle after each dump and the other 1/2 when tank is about 1/2 full. Cost is bout a dollar a bottle and yet to have smell or problems. FWIW I always fill my tank and dump it out each time I dump to aid in cleaning out any debris.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #29

Liquid.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
Site Team

We use the geo method. Works well.

asquared is online now   Reply With Quote