Old 09-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #51
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Calgon............
Same here,

I put a cup of Calgon in the tank mixed in 4 cups of water. nothing else. Our black tank has not had an smell for a number of years now. Mind you tank gets dumped prior to every departure and we never stay in one place more than 3 or 4 days.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #52
padcarroll

Most of the products I've used specify odor control for about a week or two. Add extra for extended periods.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 8 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
We use the geo method. Works well.
Another vote for the Geo Method. That's all we use.
www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #54

When we dump, especially for the winter, I don't put anything in the tank, not even water. If it is cleaned out completely (use a cleaner if you like), you shouldn't get a smell if it is empty. Putting a 1/3 tank of water in there just gives it something to ferment with. Try running it dry before leaving for your 3 week hiatus.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
When we dump, especially for the winter, I don't put anything in the tank, not even water. If it is cleaned out completely (use a cleaner if you like), you shouldn't get a smell if it is empty. Putting a 1/3 tank of water in there just gives it something to ferment with. Try running it dry before leaving for your 3 week hiatus.
So... how can you tell it is completely empty? With full belly cover, and most tanks have a bow in them, I don't think I could get everything out of the tank if I wanted to. But whatever works, or you think works, for you
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #56

For one thing I can see the bottom of my tank through the toilet opening and I can tell where the drain from the tank to the dump hose is (just make sure your trailer is tilted a bit to go into that pipe). On my rig, (maybe i'm lucky) when it is level the tank empties pretty much completely, but, you do have to wait for it to do so. I am fortunate to have a dump inlet at my house, so, I can pull the valve and just let it drain until it is totally empty. Also, any water that doesn't come out at a campground "last dump and cleanup of the season," usually finds itself in the pipe to the valve (at least on my TT) because of the rocking motion of the towed trailer, and that has been very little liquid - not enough to fill the pipe - and dumps easily into my home dump inlet (to a septic tank). Opening the TT in the spring, the only thing that comes out of the dump line is the antifreeze that was in the bowl for the winter, so I know the tank was empty. On previous trailers I have owned, you could see the tanks because there wasn't any bottom cover. They, too, emptied, but, I had put enzyme treatments in them and they always smelled at the beginning of the season. Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #57

I park my Crusader with a hefty lean with the tank outlet on the down hill side. I use a hose down the toilet and run water at the highest pressure I can. I listen carefully for the tank to start to gurgle a bit and let her rip. You'd be amazed, even after careful dumping at a dump station, I get leftovers. I usually flush at least four times till I only get clear water. I live out where I can do this, but you can use blocks at a dump station that has a rinse hose, just be sure to use a clear extension so you can see that it's clean. Thinking of trying Tanktechs RV probiotic to prevent buildup. I've used enzyme cleaners for years with medium success. May also switch to the GEO system as sounds like others have had good luck with that.
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #58

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturer would give us a sketch showing where the tank outlets on the grey and black tanks
Old 12-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #59

I fail to see the obsession with getting every microscopic bit of debris out of your black tank at every flush. Unless you plan to NOT use your rig for several months, what difference if there are a few leftovers in there. Once flushed, add a bit of chemical/water back in and by the time you fill and dump next, that debris is now liquid and new debris takes its place.

End of season... that's a different story but 4-6 complete fills and flush each time you dump is a waste. (pun intended)
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:22 AM   #60

Do yourself a favor and look into microblaze antimicrobial out of Texas. I'm a firefighter in the oil and gas industry and we use it everyday. The product encapsulates hydrocarbons in order to knock out the smell among other things and it works! They make a solution for rvs and I've used it for years.