Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Little mice

so, we had the camper locked up, and went to go out for Thanksgiving, and low and behold, mouse dropping inside,,,,,where the heck did they come from?? anyone got any ideas on how to prevent,,,it's an 8289WS 2014 model

already snapped the head off of one, but there must be more,,,what do you guys do to prevent/stop this form happening ?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

My father is in pest control so we set some multi catch traps by the wheels. we also have a bunch of bait/poison spread amongst our storage area.

Keeping traps close to the wheels and bait away from the campers is the best thing you can do! Keeping the jacks up as to not create ramps for them to get up to the camper is wise! We keep the traps close to the camper and bait far away to poison them and try to lure them away from the campers, the traps are in case they do decide to go that way... if you put the bait by/in the camper then it tends to lure them towards it... I also keep traps inside the camper while in storage. All food and the majority of the linens are removed to try and prevent them from nesting...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #3

Here's a start

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ice-38711.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ice-17432.html
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

here's what I do but this would only work if your trailer is stored inside a building on a level cement floor. I purchased a 50' roll of roof flashing and formed a circle with it going around the back of the wheels and front of the leveling jacks. The roof flashing is too slippery for mice to climb up on to get inside the trailer and the roof flashing can be used year after year. Total cost was under $40.
2006 Club Car Precedent golf cart
dirtman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
RKR

I live in South Texas and have access to a ranch to park my 5er for free but I won't. A friend a parked his TT on his ranch for winter and opened it up in the spring to find a rodent city inside with stink and a few things chewed on. Luckily they didn't get into his wiring.
Other than mouse traps, (that need to be checked) steel wool in the vents and other exterior access plus a good environment to store it. I don't think there's much else you can do. Those critters can get pretty creative when it gets cold and they need shelter.
I store mine about 150 miles from home. It's close to the RV dealer, truck wash and it's a professional place with security and a rodent control plan in place.
I wouldn't use poison though, those little buggers can run off and die then cause a stink.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
steel wool in the vents and other exterior access
Strongly suggest not using steel wool because you can wind up with an awful rust issue. Being a boater before being an RV'er, I use only bronze wool to cover those nasty access spots. Bronze will not rust and is used extensively around marinas. It costs a little more than steel wool but you can use it year after year.
You can get it at most hardware stores and big box hardware stores. You usually have to ask where it is though.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

We use Bounce dryer sheets placed liberally inside the trailer; cupboards, bathroom, storage spaces etc. Don't exactly know why but rodents dislike the smell or the chemical that's in them. This was recommended by our RV dealer upon purchase several years ago and it has worked ever since. We also place some of the wax-like rodent poison blocks around as a secondary measure. If they eat it they seek water and leave the trailer.
Works for us.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #8

We use the Bounce dryer sheets too. We also place glue traps in various locations in the storage compartments and the inside the trailer. I don't know if the dryer sheets work or not but we've never had a mouse issue.

I would be leery of putting out poison inside the trailer. I wouldn't want mice to die in a hidden location and produce a stink. My opinion of course.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #9

Cover ALL your external vents with the Camco mesh vent covers - they will also keep mud daubers and other flying insects (who really REALLY love the smell of propane - go figure!) out of your vents.

I know some folks (myself included) that use electronic pest devices. We keep our unit plugged in at the house, so plugging in two of these fore & aft seems to work for us (and we have the added fun and games of squirrels and chipmunks to deal with as well)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

great advice. tanks to all......I hope these suggestions help....I hate the little buggars !!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
phat phrog stunt crew

use this around my house .... get some plastic pvc pipe and 2 caps. drill hole in one cap, and glue the other to other end of pipe. leave cap with hole in it unglued. insert decon mouse poison in tube and secure to ground with a couple metal coat hangers bent into u shape. the mice go in, but dont come out.

also, after a mouse/mice have eaten said decon, they dont stink. i dont know what it does to them to prevent it, but i havent had an issue with smelly mouse traps.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
use this around my house .... get some plastic pvc pipe and 2 caps. drill hole in one cap, and glue the other to other end of pipe. leave cap with hole in it unglued. insert decon mouse poison in tube and secure to ground with a couple metal coat hangers bent into u shape. the mice go in, but dont come out.

also, after a mouse/mice have eaten said decon, they dont stink. i dont know what it does to them to prevent it, but i havent had an issue with smelly mouse traps.
Pipe size would/should be?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have the worlds best mouser cat when I keep the 5er at the house. This cat leaves us a "present" on the front step almost every day. Could be a mouse, mole, squirrel, or bird, but he'll get it just the same.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

A snake works pretty well too
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
phat phrog stunt crew

I use a 4 in pipe with a 1 in hole in the cap. Mice can squeeze down pretty good to get into places. Pipe length about 2 ft long or so.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #16

We use mouse away and Glue traps on the inside. Outside I spread some shake away rodent repellent around the tires and stabilizers and also have have a couple of metal live traps that we put glue board in. One year we heard some noise coming from our bedroom closet while we were sleeping and found a couple mice coming down the vent stack located in the closet. We had our trailer parked partially under a branch of a tree on our property. The mice apparently were climbing the tree and jumping on the roof to get down the vent stack. I cut the overhanging branch and haven't had a problem since.
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote