Old 08-23-2014, 10:00 AM   #91

Look at your 8285ws axles ??

We had the same issue on our Flagstaff. Every time we braked, the axle bolts shifted. Dexter Axles is aware of the issue but claims Forest River does not recommend any modifications to the frame. I agree with OC as does Dexter but FR said it will void the warrantee. I did get a new set of axles under our TT from Dexter due to a weakness on one side. The new axles corrected the lean of the TT and the bolts were torqued to the proper specs. Once the warrantee runs, the OC mod will be done.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
We had the same issue on our Flagstaff. Every time we braked, the axle bolts shifted. Dexter Axles is aware of the issue but claims Forest River does not recommend any modifications to the frame. I agree with OC as does Dexter but FR said it will void the warrantee. I did get a new set of axles under our TT from Dexter due to a weakness on one side. The new axles corrected the lean of the TT and the bolts were torqued to the proper specs. Once the warrantee runs, the OC mod will be done.

Here is a pic of our axles. Look familiar?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408802467.892742.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	61258Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408802506.576204.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	61259

Old 08-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #93
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Here is a pic of our axles. Look familiar?
Not on mine since the day I brought it home from the dealer. In fact, I corrected the problem on my 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS and the dealer fixed it on my present 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS before I took it off the lot. I pointed it out to the salesman and the service mgr and they never contacted FR, they just added the (8) 1/2 x 1-1/4 Gr8 bolts and nuts with no protest whatsoever.

Me personally, I would not tow a torsion axle trailer anywhere without doing this mod.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #94

Okay OC. Can this be done without removing the tires/axles? Since the dealer/Dexter replaced the axles and torqued them up, I still know they will shift again. I want to do the mod but want to make sure I can drill without removing anything and...get a wrench down that 2" tube to tighten.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #95
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Okay OC. Can this be done without removing the tires/axles? Since the dealer/Dexter replaced the axles and torqued them up, I still know they will shift again. I want to do the mod but want to make sure I can drill without removing anything and...get a wrench down that 2" tube to tighten.
Can be done without removing anything, you don't even have to jack the trailer up. I used safety wire wrapped around the bolts to fish them down into the holes. A 3/4" box wrench can be inserted into the tube to tighten them. It is a job, I used a 1/2" bit in the support to center the hole and then used 1/4", 3/8" and finally a 1/2" bit to drill the holes to size. Took me about 4 hrs. Took the dealer tech about 2 hrs. with an air drill which I have and forgot to use. CRS.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #96

Look at your 8285ws axles ??

Sounds like a job for cooler days. I will start buying the parts this weekend. My son will be home on leave from the Navy next week so I will have a little government help. The mod will definitely stop all the shifting.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #97

I read this thread for the first time today. I don't see any slippage in my 8280ws. I so see too many pics showing brake wires unprotected from chaffing. Take time and cover yours with wire loom. My brother in law had problems with his shorting out over time.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #98

After reading this thread decided I should go look. Does not appear to be any slip that I can see but the rear axel is down just less than a 1/4" on the front side. warrenty or no warrenty will be drilling and installing 8 -1/2" Gr 8 bolts next week since I go to North Georgia late September do not need an uh-oh If it can be prevented. Thanks to this web site have several things in better shape than when I got TT.

Now I have a reason to get a air drill also!!
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #99
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
I read this thread for the first time today. I don't see any slippage in my 8280ws. I so see too many pics showing brake wires unprotected from chaffing. Take time and cover yours with wire loom. My brother in law had problems with his shorting out over time.
If you keep your trailer and it has torsion axles, IT WILL HAPPEN! Nothing to prevent it.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #100

I noticed another issue the welds holding the bracket to the 2x2 frame rail are separating above the slipped bolt. So if the welds brake loose your axel is suddenly no longer attached to the frame. Thats another reason for the best recommendation is to bolt to the frame directly. Unless FR Rockwood frame supplier engineers a better solution to the current axel mount bracket.

Tags
axle