Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #21

I wouldn't weld on the camper frame either, but welding up the ends of the tubes on the axle carrier frame would not be an issue. There is no stress there.
But don't even spark the welder against the main frame, as that would indeed create a starting point for a crack.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #22

Did you find out the proper torque for the bolts? I am interested in checking mine as soon as the trailer is delivered.
FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Proper Torque ????

I will find out Tuesday what the proper torque is for the bolts.

I will be back here on the forum with some kind of answer about torque & alignment for sure.

My front axle opened up or moved the same on both sides, each side has a front and rear bolt.

The rear axle opened more or moved more on the passenger side than the driver side.

If you look at how the torsion axles work up and down, front and rear, you can see how a bad dip or bump in the road would move or open the axle
mounts if they were not torqued properly. I think it would have been worse if I had the tanks full of water and the RV fully loaded. But I always empty my gray tanks before leaving the campground and only carry about 10 gallons of fresh water for flushing the "JOHN". Black tank never gets full, I usually dump @ 3/4 full. If returning from camping, I always empty, add about 5-10 gallons to black tank with a good chemical until next camping trip.

I try to travel light !
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #24

Sid (DAISY BOYKIN)
I just checked my 8285WS and I also have a gaps on both axles.
The gaps are all facing forward towards the front.
Looking at all the bolts and washers I can not see that they have slipped at all.
Please let us know what the proper torque is and I may try and correct myself.

It seems that all 4 bolts need to be slightly loosend on the axle so it will level out naturally before retightening to factory specs. I guess a hydralic jack can help.

My welding is a little better than yours. Yours seems to be just a tack weld of the 2 beams. Mine is welded the full length.

John

PS SID... I just emailed my pictures to you.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #25

Iggy - if you loosen the bolts it will not reset itself as the axel is behind the centerpoint and the bolt in question is in the front. This is why they slip out of position in the first place. You will need to jack it back into position.
I just looked under my 2010 Flagstaff and they seem to have corrected the problem. The hole for my bolt is at the bottom of the slotted opening instead of the top so it has nowhere to go.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Iggy - if you loosen the bolts it will not reset itself as the axel is behind the centerpoint and the bolt in question is in the front. This is why they slip out of position in the first place. You will need to jack it back into position.
I just looked under my 2010 Flagstaff and they seem to have corrected the problem. The hole for my bolt is at the bottom of the slotted opening instead of the top so it has nowhere to go.
Yes you are correct. A jack must be used.
Now the question is will I need 2 jacks?
One for each side of the axle? (at each tire)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #27

Since it is independent suspension I dont see why you cant do one at a time. I do wonder if it would be easier to lift the side of the camper you are working on to take the load off the bolts.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Since it is independent suspension I dont see why you cant do one at a time. I do wonder if it would be easier to lift the side of the camper you are working on to take the load off the bolts.
Torsion axles are independent, but I am pretty sure the axle housing and mounts are rigid, so it would probably be best if you could do each side of the axle at the same time.

Yes, you would definitely need to lift the camper, and put a jack under each mount to force it back into position when loosening the bolt further.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #29

Good point, mtnguy. The mounts are welded to the axel so trying to lift one side will not work. This means lifting the whole rig - not fun!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #30

axles

I have the same problem on my 2011 2304s ultra lite.So yesterday i went under my tt.I drilled two new holes up above into the square tubing where each axle has two bolts and installed two new 1\2 inch bolts and nuts.I then losened the axle mount bolts and tightened up the new bolts and it pulled the axles up tight to the frame and then i tightened the two origanal bolts.Thats the way it should of been done in the first place.Ill take some pictures on the next good day.
4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
I have the same problem on my 2011 2304s ultra lite.So yesterday i went under my tt.I drilled two new holes up above into the square tubing where each axle has two bolts and installed two new 1\2 inch bolts and nuts.I then losened the axle mount bolts and tightened up the new bolts and it pulled the axles up tight to the frame and then i tightened the two origanal bolts.Thats the way it should of been done in the first place.Ill take some pictures on the next good day.
Your method will ensure it will not get loose again or morev.
Pictures will be great.
Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #32

the only issue I see with doing 4runner's fix is that I bet it could or would void any axle warranty even if it is fixing a known issue - what are your thoughts on the warranty part?

Post those pics - I will be climbing under my 2306 to check it out and see if I need to fix it as well
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
the only issue I see with doing 4runner's fix is that I bet it could or would void any axle warranty even if it is fixing a known issue - what are your thoughts on the warranty part?

Post those pics - I will be climbing under my 2306 to check it out and see if I need to fix it as well
No disrespect but..
&&$!% any warranty. If my axles ripped off from my trailer just think of the damage and financial loss. If it happened on a highway on a trip with everyone in your truck. You really think you will recover your losses from the axle manuf.? I doubt it. They will give you a new axles maybe but who would care your trailer will be destroyed.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #34

"the only issue I see with doing 4runner's fix is that I bet it could or would void any axle warranty even if it is fixing a known issue - what are your thoughts on the warranty part?"
=============================================
sherdep, the AL-KO axles are designed to be bolted up into the trailer frame, that is why there are extra holes in the mounting flanges. If AL-KO provides the holes, I don't see how using them could void the warranty.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #35

I also have a 2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS manufactured in July 2010 and bought in Febuary 2011. This does not seem to be an issue on mine at this time. The unit has about 3000 miles on it. But, it will be something I will add to my inspection list.
PatrickCrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #36

new axle bolts

I keep my 2011 rockwood 2304s in a rv shelter so its pretty dark in their.I took a couple of pictures the upper bolts with the blue tape are the new ones.When it stops raining and the sun comes out ill open the doors and get some better pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 273.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	5376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 272.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	5377  
Old 04-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
I keep my 2011 rockwood 2304s in a rv shelter so its pretty dark in their.I took a couple of pictures the upper bolts with the blue tape are the new ones.When it stops raining and the sun comes out ill open the doors and get some better pictures.
Great photos. You must have an L shaped main beam on your trailer.
The 8285 has boxed channel frame at that location which would make it difficult to the the bolt into the boxed frame. But you did make your point on the methond they use to attach it to the frame.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
FOURRUNNER is not the same.

After looking at Fourunner's pictures, his axles are the top frame mount with what appears to be four bolts holding the axles with 1/2" and 5/8" bolts. I do not think he has anything to worry about.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #39

Sid, 4runner added those upper bolts, just like I did.
Although I only put one in the front hole, 4runner made darn sure with one in the back as well!
He may have the frame tubes like I do, although he didn't mention how much fun it was to gets the nuts on inside that small square tubing, a couple of feet from the end! It was fun enough just getting one in there.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #40

axles

I do have the square box frame.What idid to get bolt in. I got a closed boxed end wrench about a foot long tha the bolt fit into and duct tap the back side so it would'nt push threw i slid it down the tube till the bolt went threw the hole i drilled then i put the lock washer + nut on the out side worked great.My axles are mounted the same as the 8285 ws

Tags
axle