Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #21

I wouldn't weld on the camper frame either, but welding up the ends of the tubes on the axle carrier frame would not be an issue. There is no stress there.
But don't even spark the welder against the main frame, as that would indeed create a starting point for a crack.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #22

Did you find out the proper torque for the bolts? I am interested in checking mine as soon as the trailer is delivered.

FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Proper Torque ????

I will find out Tuesday what the proper torque is for the bolts.

I will be back here on the forum with some kind of answer about torque & alignment for sure.

My front axle opened up or moved the same on both sides, each side has a front and rear bolt.

The rear axle opened more or moved more on the passenger side than the driver side.

If you look at how the torsion axles work up and down, front and rear, you can see how a bad dip or bump in the road would move or open the axle
mounts if they were not torqued properly. I think it would have been worse if I had the tanks full of water and the RV fully loaded. But I always empty my gray tanks before leaving the campground and only carry about 10 gallons of fresh water for flushing the "JOHN". Black tank never gets full, I usually dump @ 3/4 full. If returning from camping, I always empty, add about 5-10 gallons to black tank with a good chemical until next camping trip.

I try to travel light !
BOLIY PRO 3600SI GEN
DAYS CAMPED 2016 74 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #24

Sid (DAISY BOYKIN)
I just checked my 8285WS and I also have a gaps on both axles.
The gaps are all facing forward towards the front.
Looking at all the bolts and washers I can not see that they have slipped at all.
Please let us know what the proper torque is and I may try and correct myself.

It seems that all 4 bolts need to be slightly loosend on the axle so it will level out naturally before retightening to factory specs. I guess a hydralic jack can help.

My welding is a little better than yours. Yours seems to be just a tack weld of the 2 beams. Mine is welded the full length.

John

PS SID... I just emailed my pictures to you.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #25

Iggy - if you loosen the bolts it will not reset itself as the axel is behind the centerpoint and the bolt in question is in the front. This is why they slip out of position in the first place. You will need to jack it back into position.
I just looked under my 2010 Flagstaff and they seem to have corrected the problem. The hole for my bolt is at the bottom of the slotted opening instead of the top so it has nowhere to go.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Iggy - if you loosen the bolts it will not reset itself as the axel is behind the centerpoint and the bolt in question is in the front. This is why they slip out of position in the first place. You will need to jack it back into position.
I just looked under my 2010 Flagstaff and they seem to have corrected the problem. The hole for my bolt is at the bottom of the slotted opening instead of the top so it has nowhere to go.
Yes you are correct. A jack must be used.
Now the question is will I need 2 jacks?
One for each side of the axle? (at each tire)

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #27

Since it is independent suspension I dont see why you cant do one at a time. I do wonder if it would be easier to lift the side of the camper you are working on to take the load off the bolts.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Since it is independent suspension I dont see why you cant do one at a time. I do wonder if it would be easier to lift the side of the camper you are working on to take the load off the bolts.
Torsion axles are independent, but I am pretty sure the axle housing and mounts are rigid, so it would probably be best if you could do each side of the axle at the same time.

Yes, you would definitely need to lift the camper, and put a jack under each mount to force it back into position when loosening the bolt further.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #29

Good point, mtnguy. The mounts are welded to the axel so trying to lift one side will not work. This means lifting the whole rig - not fun!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #30

axles

I have the same problem on my 2011 2304s ultra lite.So yesterday i went under my tt.I drilled two new holes up above into the square tubing where each axle has two bolts and installed two new 1\2 inch bolts and nuts.I then losened the axle mount bolts and tightened up the new bolts and it pulled the axles up tight to the frame and then i tightened the two origanal bolts.Thats the way it should of been done in the first place.Ill take some pictures on the next good day.

Tags
axle