Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
I do have the square box frame.What idid to get bolt in. I got a closed boxed end wrench about a foot long tha the bolt fit into and duct tap the back side so it would'nt push threw i slid it down the tube till the bolt went threw the hole i drilled then i put the lock washer + nut on the out side worked great.My axles are mounted the same as the 8285 ws
And these bolt were Grade 8 1/2", fine thread?A
How long were they 1" or so?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #42

better picture

Do these pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 275.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	5378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 274.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5379  

Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #43

bolts

Quote:
Do these pictures help.
Grade 8 inch 1\2 corse thread.I had to cut about 1\4 inch of the inside bolts so i could slide them down the frame.1\2 inch diameter
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
No disrespect but..
&&$!% any warranty. If my axles ripped off from my trailer just think of the damage and financial loss. If it happened on a highway on a trip with everyone in your truck. You really think you will recover your losses from the axle manuf.? I doubt it. They will give you a new axles maybe but who would care your trailer will be destroyed.
I didnt take offense to your comment - If you look at it and notice it is an issue and have warranty would you not take it into get it serviced before it becomes a real "BIG" issue or use the camper till it is fixed?
you could always have it towed to the shop if it is that major of a deal - I know it is a major deal am just sayin

I am all about safety as well and I understand the part about losing the trailer down the road as well - I would most likely do this fix as well and not worry about the warranty part or deal with that when I need it - I was just asking a HYOPTHETICAL Question about the warranty - wasnt looking to get chastized

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"the only issue I see with doing 4runner's fix is that I bet it could or would void any axle warranty even if it is fixing a known issue - what are your thoughts on the warranty part?"
=============================================
sherdep, the AL-KO axles are designed to be bolted up into the trailer frame, that is why there are extra holes in the mounting flanges. If AL-KO provides the holes, I don't see how using them could void the warranty.
This is the first trailer I have ever owned with this type of axle setup - the trailer's I have owned in the past had leaf spring packs, U Bolts and hangers.

I have not looked under the trailer that closely to see the extra holes.

its not about using the extra holes - its about drilling the extra hole in the frame - was just sayin about warranty and as stated I would probably do the same fix instead of taking to the dealer - I was just curious what the thoughts on voiding the warranty were
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Do these pictures help.
Did you put washer's between the axle perch and the frame or it solid together - its had to tell by the pictures
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #46

axles

Its solid together.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #47

First I must thank Sid for letting us know about this issue.

Today I decided to take care of adjusting the spaces on my 8285WS Rockwood 5th wheel.
Tools
Socket wrench with sockets
Socket wrench breaker bar
2 small car jacks
Torque wrench

I had a lot more stuff at the trailer storage yard just in case but bever needed it.

I started on the rear axle being it was easiest to get to.

I started out by loosening all 4 bolts on the rear axle. ( 2 at each axle end)

I was very surprised that some bolts were easily loosened and no way at manuf. specs. Others seemed a bit hard to loosen.

The axles didn't move at all after looseneng the 4 bolts. I just slightly loosened bolts.

I then placed the 2 small car jacks under each side of the axle and raised the axle until both sides had no gaps. Not much work to raise axles at all. I placed tghe jack at the center of the flate plate that the bolts attached to.

I then tightened the bolts the specs, lowered jacks, inspected and moved on to the other axle.

Adjusting both axles took me about 1 hour and worked slow so I would not make any mistakes.

In the future if I see these plates move again I may add lock wasjers or possible add additional bolts and nuts as discribed in a previous message here.

Any questions just ask.

P.S. I;m glad I checked the axles before my RT 2,600 mile journey to Branson.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
NOT TRUSTING 5/8" bolts.

Today I completed the "fix" to my axle's. Lowe's has the 3/8" X 1" grade 8 bolts. Back under the Rockwood again (I knew I bought a new creeper last OCT for a reason). First I drilled a 3/16" hole about 1" above the front axle slot as a pilot hole, then drilled a 3/8" hole. Used a flat washer under the head of the bolt and a lock washer under the grade 8 nut. Tighten the bolts. But I noticed the down plate from the frame and the axle plate do not fit exactly flat against each other. This was noticed when I began to tighten the nuts. I will have to watch the bolts after some miles to see if more of the space can be removed between the two plates by torquing the bolts more. As you can see, the work is pretty sloppy of the frame and axles for a good fit and finish. But I fell better now about the axles staying in the right place.

Definitely can not be used for space exploration work ????????

I hope this information helps in some way to prevent a accident happening.
I feel the attachment of the axles to the frame at their present design is very poor and can be improved.

Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AXLE REPAIR BOLTS 001.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	5387   Click image for larger version

Name:	AXLE REPAIR BOLTS 002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	5388  
BOLIY PRO 3600SI GEN
DAYS CAMPED 2016 74 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #49

I agree that the way FR attaches the axles is pathetic. Why don't the flanges on the camper line up with the mounting plates on the axles? The AL-KO axles' dimensions never change. I have built lots of equipment, and I would be embarrassed to be so sloppy.

But, that is the reason I bolted up into the square tubing of the axle carriage assembly under the camper. I didn't want to pull the axles side-to-side, although it may not be big deal either way.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #50

Checked the axles on my Flagstaff 5th wheel today.Both ends of both axles had gaps, up to about a 1/4 inch. With all of the other assembly and quality with my 2011 trailer, it didn't suprise me. Wayne

Tags
axle