Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #51
JEB

I have a new 2012 8285WS I just picked up 3 weeks ago. I checked the axles and no apparent problem. I did call my dealer and he has no issues from customers at this time. He did check with Forest River and they have not issued a service bulletin on this problem. He did indicate the bolts should be retorqued within the first 500 miles and or 6 months. I would check after the first trip depending on the distance.

JEB

Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #52

"I did call my dealer and he has no issues from customers at this time."
=============================================
That's because almost no one ever looks!
If everyone checked, I imagine there would be hundreds of complaints.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #53

I checked mine today and they have started to open up also, will go to Lowes this afternoon and buy the tools, nuts and bolts, etc and follow your advices. I think I will drill vertically that hole in the axle flange is there for a reason!

Great thread!

Hope Forest River read it......."Not a common problem"......really!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #54

Will do same as Nigel above next time I bring it home. I'm not an engineer, but I don't see where drilling holes in the bottom will weaken anything.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #55

Purchased a new 8286ws in January, have not had it out yet, should i be concerned about the axel and frame seperating. Thanks Eagleman
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #56

I bought all the stuff from Lowes, loosened the two bolts on the end of the axle, they were not that tight, one wheel only, then jacked the axel up so the axle flange met up neatly with the frame. I then drilled two 3/8ths holes about an inch and a half above the existing bolts, one either side, horizontally not vertically as I previously posted simply because you will not get a wrench on the head of the bolt on all but the front one, they are too far down the tube. Place bolt through hole add lock washer and hex nut and tighten till you are blue in the face, do this both sides of the axle and then tighten the existing bolts as tight as you can, use your feet on an extended handle. I did this on a campsite with minimal and borrowed tools, no torque wrench. Then do the other three. I did 900miles since and they have not moved nor has this mod affected allignment as far as i can see.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
Purchased a new 8286ws in January, have not had it out yet, should i be concerned about the axel and frame seperating. Thanks Eagleman
IMO FR should have put bolts vertically as well as horizontally. The horizontal bolts are thru slotted holes, which is great because you can add a 1" spacer if you want to raise the ride height 1" however the slotted hole always begs movement if the bolts are not tightened to gazillions of torque, there has to be a secondary bolt to prevent movement and this would be the vertical one, designed i am sure for this purpose but one FR neglects to use......because the way they have the frame set up, yoiu cant get a wrench to the heads of those secondary bolts! They need to rethink this, it would be simple to reorganise.

IMO the way the set up is torque the original bolts to blue in the face spec and put the secondaty 8 bolts as mentioned in my above post.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #58

"......because the way they have the frame set up, you cant get a wrench to the heads of those secondary bolts!"
=================================
Well, actually you can with a bit of thought. I just took an old wrench and welded an extension on it. Maybe wasn't the easiest thing to drop the bolt in way in there, but the end result is worth the effort.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"......because the way they have the frame set up, you cant get a wrench to the heads of those secondary bolts!"
=================================
Well, actually you can with a bit of thought. I just took an old wrench and welded an extension on it. Maybe wasn't the easiest thing to drop the bolt in way in there, but the end result is worth the effort.
Where were you on the campsite when I needed someone with welding equipment

You are right, ingenuity rules! either way we can head down the interstate with some confidence in our rigs restored

Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #60

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Torque wrench-----

For you fellows that do not own a torque wrench, they are available at "HARBOR FRIEGHT" for a 1/2" drive @ $24.99. It is good for the lug nuts on the fancy wheels that you have to check constantly because being mfg of aluminum.
The torque wrench is made in Taiwan, guaranteed to 4% to specs! Comes in it own carry case, torques from 20ft/lb to 150 ft/lb. It is the "CLICKER TYPE".

The correct torque for a 3/8" grade #8 bolt is 47 ft/lbs.

All the torque specs are in your AL-KO axle owners manual.

BOLIY PRO 3600SI GEN
DAYS CAMPED 2016 74 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle