Old 11-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
tdst51,

I beg to differ with you, but the Diamond Package does not include the 50 Amp Service and second Air Conditioner options.

Those are separate options, not in the Diamond Package.

RodeoGeorge

See Options under the Features Tab on this Page: Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
X2

Bruce

Old 11-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #12

We lost a tire after about 3,000 miles, as I recall. The tire pressure sensor alerted me to the deflating tire so I was able to get off the road before the tire came apart. I had no damage. We were on I-80 west of Salt Lake City and it was hot, perhaps 95 degrees and we were rolling along about 65mph. I replaced all the tires in Wells, NV with load range E tires, as that was what the tire dealer had in stock. I then ran 70psi in the tires. However, I would have gone to LR D tires if available, as I am sure they would carry the load no problem. I do not recall the tire brand name, but I am sure they were a product of China. I had no more tire issues and we put about another 25,000 miles on that unit before we traded it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Thanks for so much good info. You folks "rock". I am not sure what comes standard for tires on this unit. Do you think it is a big enough issue to basically throw away the new tires it comes with to upgrade? That seems expensive to a man on a budget but I want to be safe and would hate to do damage to the trailer from a blowout. I saw another thread where a lot of folks are installing Goodyear D LR tires.

Ed
Old 11-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #14

I would try to trade the tires. As I previously stated and was re-stated, load range E tires seem to be available on the road so I'd go to that range so if you do have a damaged tire while on the road, the replacement will match the others. Again, I don't think it's good to run the high pressure that permissible with the E tires as it's far above the rim's marked capability.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

Windjammer

If you're not sure about whether or not you want a fifth wheel or a travel trailer, check out the Rockwood Windjammer 3029W. It is basically the same unit, but on a travel trailer frame. Of course, with the travel trailer version, you would lose some outside storage space and I think the refrigerator is smaller.

I really like our Windjammer 3029W, but if I was willing to give up the back of my truck, I would definitely have bought the fifth wheel.

Just a thought.

Bruce
Old 11-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
WFD

50 amp service has nothing to do with "Diamond Package". 50 amp service is an upgrade just as the 2nd AC is. If you get a a 2nd AC then the 50 amp service is an automatic thing. There are a ton of 8289's out there in a Diamond Pkg that don't have 50 amp service. The 2nd AC is the big determining factor.
As for tires, we rode 1 season on the factory load range C's, and changed them out this year to Goodyear D's....so do you HAVE to do it right away...probably not! Depends what your travel plans are for the first year. But be very diligent about checking pressures and inspecting them. When we did change over to D's, I listed the C's for sale and a guy who had a smaller trailer on a seasonal site bought them to replace what he said were beat up tires on his trailer. So I was able to recover some of the cost of the new D's.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #17

Tires, tires, tires. Can't stress enough about replacing them ASAP. You never know how the OE tires were treated on the way to the dealer. All ST tires have a 65 MPH limit on them and need to be run at max sidewall pressure for the "C" & "D" rated tires or enough pressure for the max load of the trailer. Had a tire failure after about 1500 miles of towing our three week old 8289. I replaced all five with Maxxis 8008 10 ply, "E" rated tires, steel valve stems and had them balanced with the tire pressure monitors on them, 70 PSI all the time. I have had them on for over a year now with about 3K miles on them. There's a ton of reading about tires on this forum, you could read from now till next summer and still not finish. Our 8289WS has been a great unit except for the tire thing. We have the 50 Amp with the 2nd A/C unit in the bedroom and glad of it. Good luck in your decision.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #18

Be careful with the front cap! Ours has been pushed in due to an assembly issue. It spent the month of August at my RV dealer, still unresolved.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidad View Post
Be careful with the front cap! Ours has been pushed in due to an assembly issue. It spent the month of August at my RV dealer, still unresolved.
Some seem to have said in here in other posts dealing with this issue that this problem was resolved with the 2015 model? Ours has the front cap dents as well but for now we have decided to live with it as the fix seems to be hit and miss depending on the dealer doing it, and its more cosmetic than anything with me at this point...not so bad that I can't live with it.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #20

This may be a small item but the fan in the kitchen area should have a switch on the wall or you may need a stool to reach the switch . Check the radio volume at the low range .a fireplace is a great option to have . I can't remember if the slide toppers are in the diamond package . You may not like the blue light in the ref .Dometic replaced our's no charge . After you take del. you may want to look at the two heating outlets one in the bedroom and the one in the bathroom to reduce the amount of heat comming out .we have a 8280 and love it . Good luck with yours .