Old 11-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #61

My PDI for my new 8289WS was delayed till Tuesday...for good reason. I purchased the Progressive Ind HW50C surge protector from them. Good discount ($263) and they will install it for free in my new 5er for me. They can't get it in till Monday though (not in stock). Cudo's to Country Camping Corner in Kings Mountain, NC. So far I am very happy with their pricing and their customer service.

With 50Amp service in the rig, it seems I would be crazy for not purchasing a Power Maximizer as opposed to a simple 50A - 30A adapter. Am I missing anything?

----------------------------
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Appalachian Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 AM   #62

Are you missing something? Probably, but you'll figure it out. Be sure and try to post some pics if you get time- I think we're almost as excited as you!

RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:56 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Ed View Post
My PDI for my new 8289WS was delayed till Tuesday...for good reason. I purchased the Progressive Ind HW50C surge protector from them. Good discount ($263) and they will install it for free in my new 5er for me. They can't get it in till Monday though (not in stock). Cudo's to Country Camping Corner in Kings Mountain, NC. So far I am very happy with their pricing and their customer service.

With 50Amp service in the rig, it seems I would be crazy for not purchasing a Power Maximizer as opposed to a simple 50A - 30A adapter. Am I missing anything?
Worth the wait for sure....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Ed View Post

One thing I did to mine and would suggest it to you. I installed to inline shut off valves to my low point drains inside to keep them empty. Got caught once in a freeze the low point drains froze and loosened the 90 degree fitting. Once they thawed out I had a belly full of water. 2nd, I always put double thick silver insulation foil type in the door of the outside shower, Both are trouble areas if your out camping and hit a freeze. It happened to me in the panhandle of Florida a couple of years ago..
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #65

I am getting very excited. We pick up your 8289WS tomorrow!

Another question. I have been reading on this forum to learn about power in the 5er. Is this correct? (remember newbie here)

When I am not connected to electricity from grid or a generator as the 5er comes, I will be able to run lights and water pump from the battery. Fridge and hot water heater from propane. Will the batter operate the blower for the Furnace?

Do I understand correctly that if I want to use electrical outlets for TV, coffee pot, cpap etc... I either need shore power or a generator? Or, I can add additional battery power and my own inverter sized appropriately for the device(s) I desire to operate.

Does the 8289WS come with any inverter? For example I would assume an inverter is supplied for the solar plugin but perhaps I have to purchase the inverter if I add a solar panel and the inverter plugs into the "solar input" they brag about so much. For the life of me I cannot find anything searching for the size of the inverter that is included with the trailer leading me to believe it does not have one.

Along with the power question, I figure I need to pony up for a generator as I will be doing some boon docking at a minimum at friends and family homes. I know there are a lot of posts on generators and I have read a lot. I am deciding between the Honda 2000 pair running in parallel (3600W continuous) and the Yamaha 4500 unit (4000 continuous).

I am leaning to the Hondas due to less price, lower weight/more portability. It seems that with 3600 I will be fine as long as we exercise power intelligence. Only 1 A/C at a time. Turn off all A/C to make coffee in the mornings. Things like that. And I don't relish loading and unloading a 196 pound Yamaha from my pickup bed. Thanks for your input on that as well.

I hope to run across some of you at a future FROG event.

Ed

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 11-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #66

I have the two Honda generators ( 2000 ). One is the companion 2000 which you will want to get as it has a 30 amp plug in. Both running in parallel will run the main 15 btu a/c. They work great when boondocking. Your battery will run the lights, water pump, and heater furnace fan but will drain quickly if the heater comes off and on during the night. Also, and I learned the hard way that even though the frig will run on propane, you must also have some battery power or it will not work. Let my battery power run down once and had to buy some ice to keep frig cold until I could charge them. I let others answer your solar questions. I take a dedicated battery charger with me as it takes to long to charge batteries with the accessory cord you can buy with the Honda so I just plug the battery charger in to the Honda to charge.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #67
Pickin' & Campin'

Ed, sounds like you got a handle on most things in your last post.

I'll touch on a few.... yes, you'll be able to run the fridge, furnace and lights when not connected to shore power but how long will depend on battery capacity. The single battery that comes standard will 'maybe' get you through one day/night using all those things before needing recharged. You can always add a 2nd battery to add to your run times.

The 8289WS does not come with an inverter. If you purchase one, that will be another thing that will deplete your battery even quicker as it takes 12v battery power to convert to 110v AC.

Generators are somewhat of a personal preference thing. Some like two because each unit is less weight than a comparable wattage single. They can also run only one when the need calls for lower watts. But then you also have two engines to contend with, two gas tanks to fill, etc.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbone View Post
I take a dedicated battery charger with me as it takes to long to charge batteries with the accessory cord you can buy with the Honda so I just plug the battery charger in to the Honda to charge.
Just plug your power cord from the trailer to the Honda and let your trailers converter do the charging.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #69
Pickin' & Campin'

One other thing Ed,

The 'solar input' you referred to is nothing more than an outside, two pin port that connects straight to the battery so when plugging in a solar panel/charger with the appropriately mated connector, you don't have to remove your battery box cover to gain access and connect directly to the battery terminals.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #70

Thanks FarmBone, Gregg and 5picker. Good info and confirming what I was thinking I was learning.

It seems a small inverter and second battery are pretty basic needs then. How often do you find yourselves needing power and no generator option? For example stopping at Wal Mart or a truck stop to get some z's on the road. Basically I need to keep warm, and my wife demands I use my CPAP machine :roll eyes:! Or do you simply start up a small generator in those cases as well?

If I do use DC and inverter and run battery(ies) down, will my truck recharge them driving the next day? I believe yes seems like "duh", but I have been wrong too many times when I thought something seemed obvious.

One thing that has been a bit disappointing to me as a first time RV purchaser, is how much equipment seems to not be "up to snuff" and needs to be replaced almost out of the box. Tires (I am worried about the OEM C LR tires), and the OEM battery as examples. I know this is not unique to FR, but that does not make me feel any better spending hundreds of dollars to replace brand new equipment. I purchased a good tire pressure monitoring system so I guess I will run those OEM tires for a while. I just hope I am not stuck purchasing new tires on the road where I don't have the luxury of finding the best deal.

Ed

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250