Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I am a big bluegrass fan. Been playing the 5-string banjo for years. I've been in several bands, recorded a bunch of CD's and currently play about 40-50 dates a year semiprofessionally. My wife, my family and I also promote a bluegrass festival of our own. This will be our 13th annual. Always the fourth weekend in July. Check it out at CSBF. Bring your camper and spend the weekend with us!
Wow 5picker. I checked out the site. My wife and I might try to get a job at Yellowstone. If not we'll try to make it. Looks like a blast.

Is that you with the purple tie in the pictures from 2014?

----------------------------
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Appalachian Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #82

Hi Ed,
We bought our 8289WS a few months ago. It's been a big learning curve but thanks to this forum (thanks guys!) I've learned a lot in a short period.

On ours, I had them install a second battery and solar panel. As discussed, the heater fan runs off 12v, so does the refer control circuit and climate control heater. These will run a single battery down in one night or sooner. My understanding is the refer's climate control heater (aka "heater cable") is a big drain and I'm looking into disconnecting it or put it on a switch.

When in storage mode I ensure my batteries are charged then disconnect them via switch. I will consider upgrading to 4 6v Trojan batteries add mor solar panels and install an inverter - but that's later on...maybe.

Here's something about generator selection - I have the portable Progressive EMS (3Oamp), I purchased Yamaha 2000 gens before the EMS then later found out the EMS and Yamahas are not compatible, Hondas are okay. After speaking with Progressive it's no big deal though, I just do not use the EMS with the gens. Others install a by-pass switch if you have your EMS hard-wired and are using Yamahas.

I need to check my tires but I'm thinking they're just c rated and will certainly upgrade to D very soon, probably go with the Goodyear Marathons as that's a 'no-brainer'. I'm also planning to get the 507 TPMS once I save up some pennies.

We are in Los Angeles, CA

Best,

Craig & Cheryl Bean
2003 Dodge 2500
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #83

Congrats Craig! I am certain you will love yours as much as we do.

I wish I had also gone with the second battery on purchase. I am now looking into doing that myself. I am also looking into an inverter so we can boondock (we are going to Kings Canyon and Yosemite in late April before we report to Yellowstone). I am an amateur electrician comfortable with house wiring but less comfortable wiring in this inverter. I am reading a book "Managing 12 volts" now.

Thanks for the good info on the generator. I do have the bypass switch and a hard wired 50 amp surge guard.

Did they mount the solar panel on the roof (or is it on a movable wire)?

We just took jobs in Yellowstone this summer and the 8289WS should provide a great living space for us. We will be in Canyon Village so if you are there just look for the RV that looks like yours and stop by

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 01-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #84

Its on the roof connected with a Coleman monitor/controller Model # 68032. I had them install the second battery on the opposite side in a separate battery box and vent, the same as the original.

Like yourself I am an amateur electrician with good general knowledge and a DIY for many things, but when I read some of the other posts I realize there's a lot I do not know. I'm wondering if the book will help connect the dots. How are you liking the book?

Best Regards,
Craig
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
Like yourself I am an amateur electrician with good general knowledge and a DIY for many things, but when I read some of the other posts I realize there's a lot I do not know. I'm wondering if the book will help connect the dots. How are you liking the book?

Best Regards,
Craig
I am enjoying the book. After I rec'd it I was a bit disappointed at the index as it has a lot of chapters on battery's. I thought "boring". I am now understanding how important this information is. I now understand why 6 volt batteries are better for deep cycle use, and why a proper 3/4 stage charger are key. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to use solar or inverters.

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #86

I have a rockwood 8329 ss. When the bedroom air is on, it goes to the
den but not the bedroom. Anyone have this problem? Castleman
CASTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTLEMAN View Post
I have a rockwood 8329 ss. When the bedroom air is on, it goes to the
den but not the bedroom. Anyone have this problem? Castleman
I have mostly the opposite situation.If I close a\c vents to bedroom you only feel a slight bit of air in main quarters

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I ran mine for the first year and when I did replace them the beads were rotten so a wise move is to replace.

One thing i did have added was a lift kit on the axles, gives more trailer /bed clearance also more ground clearance when running in rough park roads.
Do you have picture of your trailer with the lift kit? I am thinking about doing that to mine would like to see what it looks like. I have a lifted truck so I need to flip the axles or add a lift kit.
duramaxlbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #89

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I will have to dig for one. You can not flip torsion axles. Only lift kit will work
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #90

Ok. I thought I could. Where did you get the lift kit for them? All I need is like a 3"
duramaxlbz is offline   Reply With Quote