Old 02-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Looking for new Flagstaff 831fkbss/ rockwood 8315bss

Am currently looking for either of these trailers. My wife and I have been long time campers and are looking to upgrade from a Forest River Cherokee 30 footer to either the Rockwood or Flagstaff. Any input on these two units (one over the other, what options to get ,colors, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. BTW, am currently towing with a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and a 3.92 rear and have had no problems, but I would love to hear input about tow hitches. I am using an older equlizer bar with a sway control but I think it might be time to upgrade this also, maybe a Reese dual cam system. Any info would be greatly appreciated...Don & Elaine

Don and Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Head Rambler
to FRF! We're glad to have you.

Looks like the Rockwood is a tad lighter and has a bit less GVWR than the Flagstaff. As far as colors, I wouldn't touch that at all. You should leave that up to the DW.
Since you're in New York and if you plan to camp in the cold, I'd want the electrically heated holding tanks and additional insulation. I'd also get the 15,000 btu A/C.

Your Ram should tow either one fine. I would definitely upgrade to a better sway control. You won't go wrong with the Reese Dual Cam. Be sure to get it set up correctly and you'll love the way it tows.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Thank you for the info, I havent been able to see what the color options are without going to several dealers and seeing them in person, (what a pain that would be), So far as cold weaher, we camp from May thru October and are anywhere from Fla. to upstate NY (the Adirondack mtns), so the AC will be just fine with the tinted window option, The vent fan works well in my existing Cherokee as does the 13.5 AC. I will definitally upgrade the tow bar system. Thanks again...Don and Elaine...
Don and Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #4

We have a 2009 Rockwood 8315BSS and absolutely love it. I think we ordered every available option. We ordered it online from and saved about $7k and they delivered right to my home. Go to the website and you can build your own and see what their price will be. There you can see what all the different options are and what it will cost you. Then you can go to your local dealer and see what they can do for you. There's a big camper show coming up in the begining of March in Syracuse. There were several Rockwood dealers there last year. You shouldn't have any problem towing the 8315BSS with your Ram. As far as the hitch goes a Reese dual cam would probably be perfect with your Ram. Can't tell you much about the Flagstaff version but from what I see they are almost identical.

Happy Camping
2009 Rockwood 8315BSS
1999 Chevy Tahoe
Pullrite Anti-Sway Hitch
nycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
We have a 2007 Rockwood 8315SS which is the same model w/o the rear bedroom slide. We love it. It pulls well with the rubber glide torsion axles. We use the Equalizer hitch with the 10,000 lb rating and Techonsha Voyger brake controller. My vehicle is a 1994 1500 Chevy Suburban with a 350cu V8 engine. I changed my rear end to a 4.56 ratio because it is lifted 4" w/ larger tires and it pulls w/o a problem. We ordered our 8315 through in 2006 and had a slight snafu. They sold our trailer by mistake the weekend it was to be delivered. They built me another one and the total wait was 6 months, but I got a 2007 model. Since the rear bumper is steel and welded to the frame, I added a tube hitch adapter which lets me attach a carrier to the rear and it holds my generater and fuel. See my picture above. The heater has a hard time pushing the air from the front to the rear bedroom, however, I just place an insert in one of the LR floor vents to shut it off which seems to help. I think you will like the living/kitchen area because it is so open and nobody bumps into each other. Hope this helps.
The Wilson's
1994 Chevy 1500 Chevy Suburban, Equalizer hitch, 2007 Rockwood 8315SS
My photo albums:
opcop is offline   Reply With Quote

8315bss, rockwood