Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
I would second Crocus suggestion on the 15 k AC, Slideout toppers, atrium windows and I would add the Reese revolution king pin. This negates any requirement for a sliding hitch in a short bed. I own a Flagstaff 8528CKWS and love the layout. Very spacious LR. Also comes with wardrobe slide and huge basement storage. The rear bumpers are weak, so don't plan on carrying any bikes attached to the rear bumper. I would even keep an eye on it with the spare tire attached. As far as you truck is concerned, your laughing. Good luck.

Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I pull a 32 bhok-6 sabre with almost the same specs as what your looking at with my 2005 2500hd 6.0
But I have 4.11 gears.

Pulls it fine and handles fine.
what you have to look at is the only way to get a higher tow capacity is with a diesel or a 8.1 liter with an allison in a 3/4 ton.
but that's the only difference. Suspension is the same.
Its the matter of taking it easy on the 6.0 with the 4l80e trans

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
I would also recommend the 15K AC upgrade. These units are not well insulated. We upgraded to the 15K AC on our 8281SS when we purchased it and am glad we did. If it is in the sun, once the temperature is above about 95 degrees, even with the 15K, the AC will be running continuously. It will keep it comfortable inside, but I don't think the 13.5K could keep up with the need.

Just my experience. Good luck with your decision.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (12 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Crocus in my manual it states that for optimum towing king pin weight should be 20% of trailer weight up to 3000 lbs
Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Is the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite series a good series to look at? Anyone else recommend other 5'ers and why? Thanks for your suggestions...keep them coming
Rockwood owners on this forum have lots of good things to say on the line.

What is your criteria? Price range? Weight Limits? Seeing the floorplan you are looking at one would guess a bunkhouse w/ the extra toilet is a buying criteria. You may want to track down a Crusader 355BHQ, to walk thru but not sure if it pushes the weight limits of your TV. Any RV shows in your area to walk thru lots of models?

Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Just so all of you know I looked up a 1 ton dually with a 6.0 liter and it has the same exact tow rating as my 2500hd 6.0 liter.

so its not that the 2500 hd wont handle it in terms of handling its limited solely on engine capacity and transmission .

In my trucks case with my unit I am slightly over tow capacity ONLY being limited to my engine size and transmission . not suspension or brakes .

My camping trips are limited to 200 miles or less round trip since I can drive less than an hour to get to 20 + cg's . And I am fine with that . The person that should be concerned is the one towing what i tow weight wise for extreme distances at 65 miles an hour and steep grades and traveling thousands of miles at a time .
I live in a very mild terrain so others may not be able to do what I am doing . Re mountain hills
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
We have lived 181 days in our 8280ws we store it for the winter in 2 days time. We love it and have no complaints. The only mods I did was to install extra bolts in the suspension mounting flanges, there are threads on here to explain why and how. Also to open up and seal correctly the airconditioning passages, again threads on this.

Insist/negotiate D or E rated tires when you place your order!

We didn't bother with slide toppers someone said they flap when its windy and keep you awake at night and just one more thing to go wrong. I just check to make sure there are no broken branches lying on there before closing, 30 campsites later no problem.

As for your truck I spent months doing all the calculations and any three quarter ton has bed capacity IMO not sure about gas engines though as I was always going to go diesel, I went 1 ton in the end as I got a great deal from Northland Dodge BC (plug for them).

I have a short bed and bought a Reese Sidewinder, which I have never used thanks to RV Wholesaler's incompetence, so its for sale $600, I have a slider which gets used occasionally in tight places/
Bang for buck you cannot go wrong with your choice!
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Good Choice with 8281WS

I can't say for sure since our new 8281WS is currently being built with a roll off date of 2/28/12, but I did some extensive research and the 8281WS (or SS) was the best package I could find for the money. Originally, I was planning to TRY tow it with my 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew (5.3L 3.73 gears), but decided to upgrade to a diesel before even installing my fifth wheel hitch.

I agree with others that the following options are a must-have:
Slide Toppers
Thermopane Windows
Ceiling Fan
15k A/C
U-Shaped Dinette
Diamond Package

Like I said, I can't say for sure since this is our virst RV and FW, but I'm fairly certain that we'll enjoy years of RV'ing with our young kids. I plan to have a receiver hitch installed on the back of the FW to tow our boat (hence the decision on the diesel) which weighs 3,200 lb. on the road.

Keep in mind that the 8281's come standard now with the Sidewinder king pin, so you won't need any special fifth wheel hitch to accomodate. I talked to the dealer today to ask if I could forego the Sidewinder since I'll have an 8' bed in the diesel and he told me that it can be used as a standard (non-Sidewinder) hitch with the normal pivot point right over the hitch instead of back towards the RV.

I am glad that we waited for the new 2012 models since they now offer the Diamond Package. I really like the exterior color, Corian countertops, upgraded aird bed, and frameless windows. I also ordered the Thermopane windows and I was told that they will be frameless like the standard windows (I have my fingers crossed that this is actually the case!!).

Does anyone have an hands-on experience with the Diamond Package yet? I would be interested in hearing your feedback if you do.
ehannesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
We bought our first 5er and our 1st TT last march,we bought the Prine Time Crusader 260RLD. We use our mother in laws chevy diesel 1 ton dually to pull it with. the dealer told me my little 1/2 ton would pull it but I don't think it would pull it very far. 3/4 ton trucks do better with the 5ers than the 1/2 ton trucks do so I don't see any problems with your tow vehicle. When you get up in the higher mountains you will see the little 1/2 tons on the side of the road overheating. The 1 ton gets between 9-13 MPG depending on who is driving it. my wife sets the cruise and lets it go. I don't use the cruise control and let it make it's own power. Bottom line is the truck will be fine just thirsty. And you will enjoy the 5er.....It just follows you down the road......Happy Camping!
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
ehannesson, you might want to think twice about pulling that heavy of a boat behind your fifth, as the frames on these lightweight campers are, well, LIGHT! There is a very good chance you might bend the camper frame, and you most definitely will void the warranty.
I am considering putting a hitch on the back of mine, but only to pull a small quad trailer with maybe a 200-pound hitch weight, and only if I beef up the camper frame first. The I-beams on the camper are frighteningly thin.

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel