Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #21

In reading through this thread, I have a couple comments. I think you will appreciate the closet slide, no matter what it adds to weight. A 3/4t truck will have no problem with this size unit. Your only problem would be serious mountains and the gas engine. Those trucks setting on the side with heating problems mentioned above won't be restricted to 1/2t, it's the gas engine and accompaning auto trans. In my previous tow setup, I had the most problems with transmission temperatures. You should be okay as long as you don't try to run up them hills with the cruise set on 70.

I also agree that a 3k+ lb boat might be a bit much. I need to tow a 1k lb atv, and wanted an enclosed trailer bad, but figured the weight would be to much. I settled on an aluminum utility trailer that weighs 400 lbs. My total trailer now will weigh about 1500 lbs, with 170 lb tongue weight.

We enjoy our Signature Ultra light. With the light weight construction, you do give up some quality, but it's still a good bang for your buck. It is not insulated real well. We've only used it so far where heat was required rather than the air When it comes time, I think we'll be glad we have the 15k air. It came with the Reese Revolution hitch, and with my sb, I can turn as sharp as I want.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #22

Don't forget that anything pulled behind the fifth has to be pulled by the fifth wheel pin. Too much weight, and you could rip the pin box right out of the camper frame!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #23

In regards to the comments about pulling my 3k + lb. boat on the back of our Rockwood 8281WS... I spoke to a couple different hitch installers and the dealer as I became somewhat concerned about these comments. After those conversations, I feel confident that towing my boat will not be an issue. The most common reassurance that I got was that the tongue weight was more of an issue than the overall weight of the boat. There are steps that one can take to reduce the tongue weight, but it sounds like i'll be fine with the 300 lb. tongue weight that I currently have.

Now, of course, all of this might change once I remove the skirting under the camper and get my first glimpse of the frame! But for now, I'm going to operate under the assumption that I'll be OK. I don't plan to put thousands of miles on pulling this way. Probably more likely to take one long trip (800-1,200 mile roundtrip) and several shorter (120 mile roundtrip) trips each year.

I guess I'll let everyone know how it turns out! Thanks for all the comments.
ehannesson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel