Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

Lose T.V. reception when we turn on lights.

We have a2014 8286 WS and just noticed we lose reception on the T.V. when we turn on lights in the bedroom and bath. They are all led lights. Is this the reason or do we have other issues?
nwslmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwslmn View Post
We have a2014 8286 WS and just noticed we lose reception on the T.V. when we turn on lights in the bedroom and bath. They are all led lights. Is this the reason or do we have other issues?
Our new Windjammer with LEDs does the same thing. I talked to the dealer and he said it is because of the LEDs. It only happens when you are on antenna, not a cable connection, and only when you are fairly distant from the TV signal...If you are close to the transmission tower (like IN St. Louis as opposed to outstate Missouri), you don't lose the picture.

According to our dealer, they have talked to Forest River and others, and at this point, there is no solution that they are aware of, short of not turning on the lights. But to answer your original question, there is nothing "wrong" with your trailer.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Wondering ig a better quality LED is available with a better RF shielding than the current units. Not a electronics eng. But this is common interference problem.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Team

There has been other forum threads about LED lights causing Radio Frequency Interference (RFI).

I think I read where Bob Fields with Concertone had suggested a fix, but can't find it or be sure of that.

Maybe someone else can point you correct...or you can do a search on led lighting and rfi.

I'm curious about this as I was thinking of replacing my lights with LED's.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

OK thank you. That would explain why we still have a few and lose most. First thought was just up front, but we just checked others and it does it with them also.
nwslmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Just doing a google search turned up this thread on Woodall's forums, where they were discussing the exact same thing last month.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: TV antenna signal problem

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire
Just doing a google search turned up this thread on Woodall's forums, where they were discussing the exact same thing last month.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: TV antenna signal problem
Good source Bill, trouble is the more efficient, shielded LED's, are getting even more pricey to allow OTA entertainment.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

LED lights just ain't as good as they are cracked up to be......this is one of the issues that will be years to solve..
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #9

We have this problem also, yet I believe we didn't have it earlier this year and it just started.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
2012 Solera

LEDs are basically diodes. The LEDs used today to produce white light are blue LEDs (some of the blue emitted light is converted to other colors by phosphors). The blue LEDs have a forward voltage drop of about 3.5 volts. Driven with a DC voltage of ~3.5 volts, the LEDs will not produce any RF.

The issue comes from the drive circuitry used to allow the LEDs to be used on our 12 volt RV systems. LEDs are very fast acting devices - they can be turned on and off at very high frequencies. Many drive circuits convert the 12 volts RV power to ~3.5 volts for the LEDs in a process which does exactly that - pulses the LED on and off at a very high frequency (beyond that which our eyes can perceive). This pulsing can create RF noise. If not shielded sufficiently, this RF noise can interfere with TV or radio signals.

A very simple drive circuit for LEDs is one which puts two or three LEDs and a resistor in series. Such a circuit will not produce any RF noise. I believe a number of the less expensive LED bulbs use this type of circuit (some preceded by a bridge rectifier to allow the bulb to be non-polar or able to be plugged in in either direction). I believe the bulbs I used to retrofit my Solera are this type. I have no interference problems with my TV.

The disadvantages of this type of bulb are that light output varies more with input voltage (mine are somewhat dimmer on battery then they are on the converter) and the bulbs are inherently less efficient, as some of the electrical energy is used in the resistor. Still, I find the tradeoff quite acceptable - the bulbs use about 12% of the energy of the halogens I replaced, and are plenty bright even on battery power.

Also, many LED dimmer switches will pulse the LEDs and therefore can produce RF noise. I wanted to dim two sets of LEDs on my Solera - those over the dinette and those over the head of the bed. What I did was to replace the on/off switch in both of these applications with a double throw/center off switch. In one position I added another resistor in series with the lights - resistance chosen for an acceptable level of dim, and of high enough power rating to ensure the resistor runs cold (even if the LEDs short out). Net result - I have two brightness levels (full bright and dim) and off on those lights. No RF noise, as it is a dc drive circuit.

If you have dimmers on your lights and are experiencing the interference problems noted in this thread, suggest you try turning your dimmers all the way bright or dim and see if that helps. You could also try removing the dimmers.

Good Luck -
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #11

Interesting note, I was in Camping W yesterday. Located at least a dozen different style, power and base types, ant yet none advertised low rf emmisions. Since the 12v market is limited, may be awhile before these $50 versions. The single bulbs I saw were up to $23per unit- cheap!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
2012 Solera

I replaced about a year ago. Used "Tower Type G4 15 LED Warm White" bulbs from Amazon to replace the 19 halogens ($8.49 each). These are the ones I referred to above as causing no RF noise.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote