Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
Patty1161

Lost my kitchen sink!

During of first week of April, while washing dishes in my brand new 2019 Forest River 2511S Rockwood Mini Lite, the under mount stainless steel sink suddenly broke away from the thin/scant line of glue that was hold it to the underside of the counters. I was shocked! The next day after deciding to cut the camping adventure short (the sight of the broken sink just sickened me) I noticed that the pantry bottom shelf had fallen down! (Please see attached photos). I had just gotten the RV back from service for a clogged shower head!
I can’t help but wonder what kind of quality control is done at the Forest River factory and if anyone else had the sink problem?
My husband checked and there were no brackets anywhere. It has been in service since April 6th and do hope to have it back by our next scheduled trip. The last service repair done a few weeks ago for a clogged shower head only took 4 days, hope that holds true this time!
Here it is April 19th and still awaiting diagnosis review by an authorized dealer/service tech. Forest River still has not responded to my husband’s email that he sent on April 3rd. Was supposed to leave for another camping trip this Sunday so we will see.
Just wanted to update everyone on the status of my 2019 Rockwood 2511S Mini Lite (purchased 3/3/19). The service rep just informed me today that she is still waiting for the authorization from Forest River to do the repairs under warranty.
Also, I still haven’t heard any reply from Forest River regarding my email to them last week. Had to cancel my upcoming camping reservations and was charged $30.
April 30th - Hi Everyone, here is the latest update: I finally heard from a Forest River Representative yesterday afternoon. He offered me a sincere apology from Forest River and also apologized for the delay in getting back to me (he was out sick). The representative went on to explain that the factory had some bad glue that was not adhering like in should. He informed me that everything will be fixed (there were some items that I didn’t mention in my original post). The service rep is waiting for the under mount sink clamps to arrive, so, hopefully I will be getting my RV back within the week? Thanks to everyone for your support and suggestions.
May 3rd - My latest update. The service tech finally received the under sink mounting clamps. But they are very backed up with people waiting for service. They hope to have the repairs done by the end of this coming week. I was hoping very much to be out camping this coming week but at this point I would just like to have my RV back! The RV has been in the shop for over one month!
Patty1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
Patty1161

Lost my Kitchen Sink - Photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	90EE9C71-F7FE-44AE-9299-E6B96AFBE8E1.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	203851
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1FA557E-4D84-488D-B82A-EA931AB6DBDE.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	203852
Old 05-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It is a shame you had these issues but you are not alone.
Hopefully your dealer will get it squared away for you quickly.

There have been other reports of the same here on the forum.

Here is a search of...
Sink Fell Out

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Patty1161

Wow! Thank you for this information! I just read with interest about all of the others that had the same problem (and more). It is mind blowing that Forest River does such terrible and uncaring assembly of their RV’s. It is obvious that Forest River is aware of the problems, but just keeps on throwing them together just to get them on the market.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty1161 View Post
Wow! Thank you for this information! I just read with interest about all of the others that had the same problem (and more). It is mind blowing that Forest River does such terrible and uncaring assembly of their RV’s. It is obvious that Forest River is aware of the problems, but just keeps on throwing them together just to get them on the market.

If you think any of the other manufacturers are any better guess again. The name of the game is speed, get them out as fast as they can, the workers make more money and the company sells more trailers. You gotta be handy to own an RV these days.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #6

I will not list all my issues with the quality of our Wildcat that could have been prevented with some simple little additions, like reinforcements behind stress points where screws are used. Drive a #4 or "6 screw into thin materials and it WILL strip out eventually, usually sooner than later.

With all the complaints about FR's lack of quality workmanship, I certainly hope they are doing drug and alcohol testing for their assemblers and supervisors. Seems to me that most of these issues could be prevented by practicing my own personal mantra - PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

Then again, I'm old and still believe in pride in workmanship, which does not appear to be a part of the mindset of those half my age and younger.
Nights camped: ‘18 - 27, ‘19 - 27, ‘20 - 30, ‘21 - 49

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I certainly hope they are doing drug and alcohol testing for their assemblers and supervisors.
Hahahaha, then they wouldn't have any employees!!! I've been reading articles about all kinds of companies across the country having to relax or eliminate these prerequisites, because they simply cannot find enough employees who can pass. Crazy but true.https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/18/b...drug-test.htmlOne of many articles on this problem.

Patty, so sorry about your sink issue, seems like I'm reading a lot of similar posts. Why they would ever install under counter sinks in an application like a a vehicle that endures shaking and vibration is beyond me. Very glad my sink is an over the counter install now.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #8

From other posts it seems this is a problem. Why don’t they just use glue, clamps and wire run under the sink to the clamps. Just like when an under the counter sink is put in your house. When I had my cabinets redone in my homes kitchen. The under counter sink was done just like above and I know for sure it’s not going anywhere.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
From other posts it seems this is a problem. Why don’t they just use glue, clamps and wire run under the sink to the clamps. Just like when an under the counter sink is put in your house. When I had my cabinets redone in my homes kitchen. The under counter sink was done just like above and I know for sure it’s not going anywhere.
Looking at her photo, it appears the countertop material is very thin and would not be able to take a screw of any length to support brackets. I could be wrong.
Nights camped: ‘18 - 27, ‘19 - 27, ‘20 - 30, ‘21 - 49

twohand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #10

I can’t really tell from the pictures, but if it were possible I would mount the sink on top of the counter, or replace it with a top mount sink. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #11

I think they either used the wrong glue/adhesive or improper application or bought the glue at Just a Dollar. Several styles did the same thing. I have a plastic sink and “granite” tops(man made veneer over particle board. Very common.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
I can’t really tell from the pictures, but if it were possible I would mount the sink on top of the counter, or replace it with a top mount sink. Jay
I agree, would be much better.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #13

Lost my kitchen sink

I have a 2019 Flagstaff 29 rsws. The same thing happened to us while at a RV resort in FL. I could not afford to leave it at a dealership for repair so I fixed it myself. Just used Gorilla glue from Lowe's. It is still holding since February. Forest River did tell me I could get a mobile mechanic to come on site and I tried but never could get anyone to do the job.
H-Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #14

We have the same issue with our 2019 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25FKS. I noticed water in the front compartment under the kitchen sink on our first trip last month. This pasted weekend after doing the dishes I noticed the SS sink was starting to pull away from the bottom of the counter top (not as bad are yours but is probably heading in that direction if we don't get it looked at). I called our dealer and they squeezed us in before our next trip out in June. I'm just hopping their way of fixing it is not just glue and duck tape. We'll see if our dealer backs up the Service Department from what they told us during the sale! I emailed Forest River and I'm waiting to see their reply. Steve

BUC-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #15

I just replaced our kitchen faucet and was looking at how the under-mount sink was fastened in our 2020 2109S.

The counter top consists of 1/2" of plywood underlayment with 1/2" solid surface counter material on top. The sink has clips screwed into the plywood from below around the perimeter of the sink to hold it up.

Is this the same type of install that is failing?

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
Patty1161

Your sink installation appears to have clamps holding the under mount sink in place. That is the way it should be along with the usual clear caulking around it. Mine had a very thin and scant line of glue with no clamps. I think your sink should be okay. Enjoy. I just got my RV back last week and went camping for 4 days. I discovered that my Furnance and electric hot water heater now no longer work! I will be taking it back for a diagnosis of the needed repairs this coming Tuesday. Wish me luck!
Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #17
Patty1161

The repair tech ordered under mount sink clamps and repaired it both the clamps and adhesive clear caulking. I would make sure they do the same. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #18

Decided to go ahead and add a little support just in case the four clips weren't enough.

If it moves now the trailer will have been destroyed and it won't matter

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Decided to go ahead and add a little support just in case the four clips weren't enough.

If it moves now the trailer will have been destroyed and it won't matter

Good looking job, good repair.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #20
Now Camping Year-Round!!

I wonder what manufacture dates are affected by this? I heard elsewhere it was a faulty glue issue. Hopefully it's been rectified. I'm wondering if our new unit we're picking up is afflicted with this. I will have handy hubby reinforce our sink regardless.

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink