Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Love Our Rockwood 2604

After 3 months we still love our Rockwood 2604. The floorplan is perfect for us. Plenty of kitchen storage even without a pantry. In fact, we have unused storage space inside and outside.

Also, by taking the dinky little table that fits between the 2 chairs home, we can now spin our chairs around at will and take advantage of the rear view that is usually the best at a campsite. Also took the little screen at the bottom of the rear window off and increased visibility tremendously.

Our 2011 Toyota Tundra doesn't even know it is there. For short, non interstate trips, I don't even use the Equalizer hitch. No sway or shimmy at any speed.

All in all this may be a lifetime purchase for a couple of 69 year olds.

Jack &Mary
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your camper.

I don't understand though, why you'd not use your equalizer hitch...only on the interstate?? Emergency situations can happen anywhere! Since that hitch is so easy to engage/disengage, particularly with a power jack, why would you intentionally not use it?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #3

We have been considering the 2604, but would prefer the recliners instead of the swivel chairs. Do you think there is enough room to replace the swivel chairs and put the recliners in front of the door, then go into the RV via the front door.

Also, how is the clothing storage? Is there enough room for hanging clothes? We are hoping to be on the road for a month or so at a time?

Looking forward to your input.

Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #4

That would work if you did not use the back door. They could not be large recliners due to the space required to move them so you can bring the slideout in.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #5

recliners might be out of the question with the slide. We have a 2604 also and you have to invert one chair over the other right by the door in order to have room for the slide to come in. jacksum2 you say you don't need the equilizer hitch, you do know that the tounge weight is over 700lbs? Plus you now have no sway control on the trlr.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

Actually you don't have to invert the chairs. We never have.

Also, the Tundra has sway control plus we have no sway,
Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Got mtn bike?

I just recently bought a 2904. It's about 3' longer than the 2604.
It has 2 small Lane swivel rocker recliners.
They do slightly block the door when pulled away from the wall and in the reclining position.
The one recliner has to be turned sideways for the slideout to come in.
I don't see why atleast 1 recliner wouldn't work?
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

We also have a 2604 and like it a lot. We move the chairs but do not invert them. Works o.k for us.
PaulandMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #9

Yes. We put ours sie by side with the backs to the door and there is plenty of room for the slide to come in.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #10

jacksum2; you do know that the sway control on your Tundra has little to no effect on trl sway contol. If you really get in a situation that the trl starts to sway the truck sway control will have minumual effect on the trl. If you still have the Equilizer hitch from your old trl I'd recommend using it. It's far better to have it and not need, it then to need it and not have it, if only for your families safe

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #11

lindy,

Thanks for your concern. I do have a 10,000 lb Equalizer hitch and use it 99% of the time. When I said that I didn't use it for short trips, I meant very short. From my house to the storage lot and to get it winterized. Both less than 5 miles at 40 mph. The Doc won't let me lift the hitch (which is probably what gave me the hernia in the first place) for 3 or 4 more weeks.

Jack
Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #12

My 2604 came with straps to invert the chairs on the sofa. For those of you who do not invert them, but leave them down, have you had any issues with them sliding around and banging the walls or cabinets?
red dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #13

We have towed ours about 2,000 miles so far and they have not moved at all. They fit very nicely between the bar and the back of the trailer side by side with the backs to the rear door.

Jack
Old 12-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #14

re: Tundra & 2604....

jacksum2. I'm very happy to hear you have no issues with your unit.

We have a 2008 Tundra regular cab short box 4x4 equipped with the off road and towing packages, last year we purchased the 2604ss and went on a drive up north before winter. Unfortunately we where constantly beaten with gusty winds, rain & even a little wet snow that made the trip very stressful. We have the leveling bars and friction anti-sway bar but still had some swaying however not bad but still not how we like to travel.

So after discussing it we decided to purchase the Hensley Arrow so I contacted the factory in Michigan and to my surprise they sell manufactured ones with full warranty at a fraction of the cost! This year we'll be totally care free as we had a Hensley several years ago and know what it's capable of.

...like you said, the Tundra pulls this trailer like nothing and we're thrilled with our 2604 as well. It would be nice to see a picture of your unit if you have one.

Happy new year everyone

Tim
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #15

Hi Tim,

I don't know why you felt a sway problem unless it was the extreme conditions. We have towed in all conditions except snow and never a sign of sway. Our Tundra is a 2011 2WD Super Cab with big engine and tow package and our hitch is a 10,000 lb equalizer but I wouldnt think that would be much different from your rig. I keep tires at 50 psi and a fairly heavy tongue weight the way it is loaded (probably750 lbs). Hopefully your new hitch will continue to solve the problem.

I have a couple of pictures but don't know how to post them to the forum properly. Happy New Year, Jack & Mary
Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #16

Smile

I think the short wheel base of our truck may have something to do with it, other than that we have the same setup and the 5.7L to boot ...but it was extremely windy and gusty so I'm sure it would be fine in regular conditions.
We decided to purchase the Hensley anyway cause we plan to do lots of camping in the next several years with this setup and this will keep us from worrying about any weather conditions along the way.

One thing about Rockwood, ours is a 2011 but we purchased it used and I don't know if the previous owner pushed the slideout too far or too many times but the gears in the slideout motor/gear drive stripped on us the second time we opened it and had to take it out to replace them. It's an easy job and the gears where free from the manufacturer so no big deal for us but I just thought I'd mention it. Other than that we LOVE our trailer
Have a Happy New Year and a great camping season.

Tim
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags